Literary Origins of D&D Monsters

Algolei

Explorer
DnDChick said:
I think they are gone for good. :(
Aw poop. :(

DnDChick said:
And once I found out about the "trowes" of Scottish folklore, it settled the "how do you pronounce drow like cow or like slow" quandry -- for me at least. You can pronounce it however you like, but I pronounce it with a long "o" like slow ... and "troll", its lingquistic and folkloric origin. :D
Me too, and for almost exactly the same reason. But I was lucky enough to recognize the similarity between "trow" and "drow" right away, so I never felt any confusion over how to pronounce it.

Nyaricus

First Post
HA, this is an awesome thread; one which I'll be responding to for a long time!!

For my campaign, i am researching and eventually stating up a whole bunch of monsters. Surprizingly, i found quite a few from one of my main research areas > celtic mythology. Heres a few of them (with some others from different regions thrown in)

Athach > large creature with one leg, hand and eye with rough, spiky ahir. AKA Direach, Fachan (Celtic)
Angels > Middle-eastern religions (judaism, christianity, other cultures, etc)
Golem > comes from a Jewish legend and made of clay. (Jewish)
Banshee > female wraith that foretell but doesn't necessarily cause death. Terrible wail. AKA Bean Sidhe (Celtic)
Cu Sith > the elven fairy dog from Races of the Wild - a large, shaggy, green furred fairy-dog with massive paws (Celtic)
Elf > comtemporary version is Tolkiens invention, but its mainly from Nordic myths with a bit of celtic influence (nordic)
Gnome > A treasue-guarding fairy. AKA Goric (celtic)
Pixie > fairy who haunts rivers, hills and groves
Nymphs > a race of beautiful fey women who symbolized the grace and beauty of nature (Greek)
Satyrs > male counterparts to Nymphs. Sexual figures in general.
Fomorian > demonic and giant pirates. Never settle; alwasy raid from the sea. (Celtic)
Cyclopes > one-eyed Greek Monsters. Greater Cylclopes lived in Olympia, lesser ones on islands adn were very barbaric (Greek)
Frost Giants > Called "Thursar" by nordic peoples (Nordic)
Fire Giants > called "Muspelar" by nordic peopels (Nordic)
Mountain Giants called "Bergbui" by nordic peoples (Nordic)
Air Giants (AKA Storm Giants) > called "Hrim-Thursar" by Nordic peoples (Nordic)
Water Giants > haven't found specific naem yet (Nordic)
Goblin > grotesque, malevolent, diminutive sprite (Celtic)
Behir > properly called "Beithir", these were long-tailed, spectral bears that shot lightning-bolts from their mouths and haunted caves
Barghest > a black dog with horns, fangs, firey eyes, drags a chain, inflicts never-healing wounds
Basilisk > names emasn "Kings of Snakes" and was a large (Huge Size, at least) snake with a crown enblazoned on its forehead. Its gaze, bite and smell were all poisonous. (various origins, this description is Greek, i beleive)
Cockatrice > head, neck, legs of a rooster, serpents tail, and a dragons tail and wings. Poisons like a Basilisk (middle-age corruption of the Basilisk legend)
Annis Hag (Black Hag) > humanoid monster with claws of iron, and yellow fangs. Can claw through rock and is a terror-inspiring cannibal that skins her victims alive. (can't remeber the origin; i beleive its a Victorian Nursery-boogie)
Mermaid > half-fish half-women (various origins)
Treants > Tolkiens Ents.

those are just a few of the ones on my list. probably have more to come :D:D

Malignor

First Post
Demons and Devils

Anyone know where Gygax came up with the demons & devils from original AD&D?

I know the Balor (Balor the Formorian champion, Balrog from LoTR), but the rest...? no friggin clue.

Cleon

Legend
Anyone know where Gygax came up with the demons & devils from original AD&D?

I know the Balor (Balor the Formorian champion, Balrog from LoTR), but the rest...? no friggin clue.

As far as I know, most of Gygax's demons were made up from whole cloth rather than being based on any particular folklore.

Incidentally, the AD&D Balor was originally one name of an individual "Type VI Demon" listed in the 1st edition Dungeon Masters' Guide, not the generic name of that kind of demon, where it was listed as "[FONT=&quot]type VI (Alzoll, Balor, Errtu, Ndulu, Ter-soth, Wendonai)[/FONT]".

I suppose "Balor" sounded better than "Ter-Soth".

Malignor

First Post
Yeah. I know how all the "tanar'ii" names were taken from the names of individual demons of types I to VI in the original MM.

I keep hoping that the demons are something more than...

I = vulture-demon
II = toad-demon
III = jackal-demon
IV = boar-demon
V = serpent-demon
VI = pure demon

Howzabout the devils? Anything stolen from Dante's Inferno or something?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah. I know how all the "tanar'ii" names were taken from the names of individual demons of types I to VI in the original MM.

I keep hoping that the demons are something more than...

I = vulture-demon
II = toad-demon
III = jackal-demon
IV = boar-demon
V = serpent-demon
VI = pure demon

Howzabout the devils? Anything stolen from Dante's Inferno or something?

Yes, the Cornugon horned devils are inspired by the Malebranche demons in Dante's Inferno. They're called "Malebranche" in the original Monster Manual (1977).

The Erinyes are obviously based on Greek Mythology.

Remove ads