Live Music: What Are Your 5 Most Unforgettable Concerts?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I was thinking of maybe forking a thread about concerts we wished we had seen ... I have so many.

One of the concerts I am so glad I saw was the Pixies in 2004 when they reunited (I caught them in ... NEW JERSEY). They were absolutely amazing. But more because I was absolutely positive that they would never, ever get back together again, and I hadn't been able to see them when they were together.

After all, they were on the list of "legendary bad band breakups." And this was pre-Abba will perform as holograms.

Mezuka

Hero
Genesis 1981 Abacab tour. I was 16. Phil still hair long air, a beard and used a tambourine while singing. I still dream about it on occasion. Lots of blue smoke in the air of the baseball park.

Peter Gabriel So tour. Superbe mobile light effects. Minimalist set design production. He was touring with an African band as first act.

Anonymous a medieval music ensemble I saw in a church turn into a concert hall.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as interpreted by the Musical Box. They had all the costumes and scenery. They also had access to the actual slides for the backdrop projections. The slipperman (std) costume was awesome and grotesque!

Seeing Steve Hacket in 2020, just before Covid, doing Genesis songs.

-------
Denis DeYoung (Styx) in 2018. My wife wanted to go. Not a big fan but he was on fire, still gives a good show for his age. Voice hadn't changed.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Bauhaus in 2005, Near the Atmosphere Tour, Orpheum, Boston. Amazing to finally get to see them. Got introduced to the band by my first girlfriend, when I was a teenage wannabe-goth. Seeing them 12 or 13 years later was everything I hoped. I got to see Peter Murphy in a smaller venue, at the Middle East downstairs, I think four years ago, and he was great then too.
That show was my first experience with the Orpheum, and it was incredible. Though i wasn't a fan of David J doing his slowly-raising-his-arms-until-the-encore bit. It seemed unnecessarily pretentious, even for Bauhaus.

We were in the 7th row - that fact will be important in a moment.

The reunited Stooges played the Orpheum a while later, and I bought balcony tickets on grounds that there really aren't any BAD seats on that theater. Of course, I deeply regretted those seats when Iggy Pop, the nightmare of venue security since forever, grabbed the first 10 rows or so from the audience and pulled them up on stage with him. And all I could think was, "if I had just shelled out for the same seats I had at the Bauhaus show, I would be on stage with Iggy Pop right now."

It was an amazing show, but I'm still kicking myself like a decade or so later.

One of the concerts I am so glad I saw was the Pixies in 2004 when they reunited (I caught them in ... NEW JERSEY). They were absolutely amazing. But more because I was absolutely positive that they would never, ever get back together again, and I hadn't been able to see them when they were together.
I caught them on that tour in Amherst, MA. The show was awesome, and I'm glad I caught them when Kim was still their bass player. I also used to see the frontperson from one of the opening acts kicking around the area from time to time.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
have long wanted to catch an Iron Maiden concert
Ive seen them 4 or 5 times and they definitely put on a killer show. Only problem is that their sets tend to be predictable, (at least for me having seen them alot), they usually play their more well-known songs rather than deep cuts. They came through town in 2018 or 2019 and I skipped that one. But if you have never seen them I highly recommend you do, They are touring this year. They do occasionally play shows out of the norm as I think they did a tour or a series of dates where they played "A Matter of Life and Death" in its entirety.

Iron Maiden 2022 Tour

R_J_K75

Legend
Peter Gabriel So tour. Superbe mobile light effects. Minimalist set design production. He was touring with an African band as first act.
I saw him for the Up tour in 2003 in Fla. Great concert. Definitely eccentric. AFAIK Up was his last all original recordings. Been hoping for another record but doubt it will happen. Think he did some covers, compilations or reimagining's of some songs but nothing new. Thought it was funny that his first 4 records were titled Peter Gabriel, then So Us Up.
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as interpreted by the Musical Box. They had all the costumes and scenery. They also had access to the actual slides for the backdrop projections. The slipperman (std) costume was awesome and grotesque!
I remember in the 90s there was a band called Over the Garden wall. Not sure if they were local, national or international but either they disbanded or became the waiting Room, who in turn may have become the Musical Box. I'm just speculating but the latter 2 seem to be the same band. I saw the Waiting Room in the early 2000s. Once they did The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and the second time was just a regular set of Gabriel era Genesis. I saw the Musical Box in 2006 for Foxtrot at the Riviera Theatre in North Tonawanda, New York. The drive home would've only been about 20 minutes if it wasn't for the unseasonably early mid-October ice and snowstorm. Took me about 2 hours to drive 20 miles in a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon. When I finally made it home, I sat in my driveway watching tree branches crack and fall. That storm did a lot of damage most from falling trees. It was odd driving around the city for a while as some streets that had always been lined with very large & old trees weren't any longer. A lot of the downed trees were turned into carved statues and put around the city over the next few years. I remember that storm more than the concert. There's a link below if anyone's interested.

October Surprise Storm

I was thinking of maybe forking a thread about concerts we wished we had seen ... I have so many.
I passed up tickets to see Queen in 1986 at Wembley.

You know, this concert:

1644485078675.png

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
SRV died the next night.
I had seen him at a multi-day festival in San Antonio earlier that year*.

I was moving into my apartment in Austin the day he died. I hadn’t heard the news- all I knew was that I found this great radio station that was playing SRV non-stop while I was unpacking. I stopped for a dinner break and walked to the Pizza Hut at the end of the street. I came back, and had just turned the radio back on while I tidied up before going to bed. That’s when the music stopped and the DJ said, “In case you haven’t heard…”

🥺

* Eric Johnson played the same slot the next day.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Super jealous. What an incredible album. Of course, I was too young and didn't discover So until a couple of years later.

I caught them on that tour in Amherst, MA. The show was awesome, and I'm glad I caught them when Kim was still their bass player. I also used to see the frontperson from one of the opening acts kicking around the area from time to time.
I didn't get to see the Pixies until 2018, touring with Weezer, at the Xfinity center in Mansfield, MA. I got to see Kim with the Breeders at House of Blues on Lansdowne St. that Spring, and stand there taking pictures afterward as my buddy who got me to go made a spectacle of himself fawning over Kelly on the sidewalk outside.

That show was my first experience with the Orpheum, and it was incredible. Though i wasn't a fan of David J doing his slowly-raising-his-arms-until-the-encore bit. It seemed unnecessarily pretentious, even for Bauhaus.

We were in the 7th row - that fact will be important in a moment.

The reunited Stooges played the Orpheum a while later, and I bought balcony tickets on grounds that there really aren't any BAD seats on that theater. Of course, I deeply regretted those seats when Iggy Pop, the nightmare of venue security since forever, grabbed the first 10 rows or so from the audience and pulled them up on stage with him. And all I could think was, "if I had just shelled out for the same seats I had at the Bauhaus show, I would be on stage with Iggy Pop right now."
Outstanding.

Remove ads