Live Music: What Are Your 5 Most Unforgettable Concerts?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I didn't get to see the Pixies until 2018, touring with Weezer, at the Xfinity center in Mansfield, MA. I got to see Kim with the Breeders at House of Blues on Lansdowne St. that Spring, and stand there taking pictures afterward as my buddy who got me to go made a spectacle of himself fawning over Kelly on the sidewalk outside.

Frank Black (Black Francis) and Kim Deal are amazing together, which is why it's such a shame they can't get along.

Oh, given the forum, I should mention seeing Weird Al in concert three times! Each time was more than a decade apart, too. The last time was the 2019 Strings Attached Tour. And the first time he was still wearing glasses and had the 'stache.

I will be so grateful when live music gets back to normal.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Frank Black (Black Francis) and Kim Deal are amazing together, which is why it's such a shame they can't get along.

Oh, given the forum, I should mention seeing Weird Al in concert three times! Each time was more than a decade apart, too. The last time was the 2019 Strings Attached Tour. And the first time he was still wearing glasses and had the 'stache.
Never seen Black Franny, but I have seen Deal a good number of times. She is fantastic in anything.
I got tix for 3/16 to see Car Seat Headrest. I cant wait. Its been too long.

Scottius

Adventurer
These are in no particular order.

NIN - For a variety of reasons I didn't get to attend many concerts back in the 90s but it had been a lifelong goal to see Trent and company live and I finally got to do so during the NINJA tour with Jane's Addiction. They were every bit as raw and powerful as I'd expected them to be.

The Pixies - Glad I got to see them while Kim was still playing with the band. They played every song I would have asked for had I been composing the set list.

Bauhaus - haunting and atmospheric and everything my inner teenage goth wanted it to be.

The Cure - Speaking of goth... I've seen Robert and co twice now and they were amazing both shows but the first time really stands out. He was sick enough his doctor had asked him not to go on and yet they performed anyway and did a packed set covering all eras of the band with multiple encores. A transcendent evening.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - One of my favorite groups of all time and they absolutely blew me away. Warren Ellis was an absolute madman on his violin. He was shredding strings on that thing like crazy. And Nick was as good a performer as I've ever seen.

And I'm cheating with a 6th entry! You can't stop me!

Dresden Dolls - They were amazing live. Great choices of covers mixed in with the best of their own songs. Powerful performances from both Amanda and Brian. This was from their last tour during their original run before Amanda started doing her solo material.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Finally attended my first show since the pandemic on Sunday the 30th; Caravan Palace at House of Blues. They were amazing again (I saw them the last time they were in Boston as well). Vax required, and crowd mask adherence was really solid. Covid numbers have finally been dropping in MA and NH for the last 2-3 weeks, which I'm very glad of, with tickets to several shows coming up.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
These are in no particular order.

NIN - For a variety of reasons I didn't get to attend many concerts back in the 90s but it had been a lifelong goal to see Trent and company live and I finally got to do so during the NINJA tour with Jane's Addiction. They were every bit as raw and powerful as I'd expected them to be.

The Pixies - Glad I got to see them while Kim was still playing with the band. They played every song I would have asked for had I been composing the set list.

Bauhaus - haunting and atmospheric and everything my inner teenage goth wanted it to be.

The Cure - Speaking of goth... I've seen Robert and co twice now and they were amazing both shows but the first time really stands out. He was sick enough his doctor had asked him not to go on and yet they performed anyway and did a packed set covering all eras of the band with multiple encores. A transcendent evening.

I, too, have seen NIN, Pixies, Bauhaus, and two shows by the Cure.

It's interesting to see such common musical interests among those of us posting in this thread.

I'll be seeing Dream Theater for the 2nd time next weekend. Anybody else a fan?

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Having not seen The Cure yet is something I periodically kick myself over. Not as bad as with Soundgarden, of course, because I can still hopefully see The Cure.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not as bad as with Soundgarden
Im a big Soundgarden fan. Saw them twice. First time was July of 1994 for the Superunknown tour. Second time was in July of 2010. They were both good shows and they sounded good, but on both occasions, there was little stage presence or crowd interaction. They just went through their set and I dont recall exactly but I dont think they did an encore. Second time I saw them we were in the pit in front of the seating and they were so loud it was hard to even hear what they were playing at times and enjoy the show. They also played some songs at that point that Cornell had a lot of trouble singing by then, especially Beyond the Wheel. Think I'd have preferred to have seen them for the King Animal tour instead of the 2010 one. Dont get me wrong they were both good shows but I suspect that anything after the Badmotorfinger tour paled in comparison to the raw energy of their concerts from then or before.

Remove ads