D&D 5E Live Q&A with D&D R&D

zoroaster100

First Post
Hearing the general concepts of design, the game sounds wonderful. But until I see the details and try it out it is hard to know if they succeeded in making a game I will love to play or run. For example, I worry that the optional grid/flaking/forced movement rules might not have been playtested enough because they are optional. Likewise with the magic item creation rules. But if they tested it all enough and it works fine, then the system will have so much for so many tastes.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
DMG sounds sweet! Also like Legendary/Lair mechanics as well as Inspiration Background & Flaws!

Disappointed by lack of date & product info though. That's what people want to know most about at this point and yet they still can't disclose anything about this even that close to release date. Neither OGL nor Organized Play.

fjw70

Adventurer
Someone want to post the highlights?

There really wasn't anything of significance that was new. There were a lot of questions like "what is your favorite D&D world" or "what is your favorite class feature in 5e."

One interesting tidbit is that Rodney had a little speech that I sum up as "don't expect a lot of crunch in 5e." We knew the core game was going to be low crunch but I was curious if they would have modules that were significantly crunchier, and it sounds like the answer is no.

Derren

Hero
We knew the core game was going to be low crunch but I was curious if they would have modules that were significantly crunchier, and it sounds like the answer is no.

Feels like WotC is currently more concerned with lowering expectations than hyping their new product.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Do you have any evidence any of this is the case for WotC?
Or is it speculation?

I have evidence it's all true in general for China, and I have evidence Hasbro prints a metric crapload more than Paizo from China. But more importantly, I am not the one that made the claim about a deadline, you are. The guy making the claim is the one that needs evidence to back up his claim. All I did was ask if you were speculating or not, and you claimed it was not but now appear to be backtracking and admitting it was speculation.

You want me to find a quote in 2 and a half hours of something, to support your claim? How about you do that.

WotC is not Hasbro. They are owned by Hasbro, but they operate separately.

For factory ownership, ship use, and printing bulk jobs? Balooney. Of course they don't. Those are the exact things you merge companies for to begin with! Getting savings on bulk production, with no cross-over in management, is exactly what big companies do. It's one of the reasons they are big companies!

That aside, Hasbro is also a toy company, they don't do a lot of books.

Those toys come with packaging, which is printed. Just about every single thing Hasbro sells, regardless of department, prints stuff. You really think they have no interests in printing factories in China? Heck I know companies 1/10th the size of Hasbro that have interests in factories in China.

Even if they own a printer to publish little instruction manuals, they likely cannot handle full colour hardcover books.

The packages they print for many toys are full color. And, there is very little difference in terms of factories. If they are a print shop, they generally do all printing.

Quite possibly. But in the absence of any other information, it is useful.
But I do have more information, as Mike Mearls himself said that it takes up to four months to get books printed and into stores. And GenCon is four months away. So my speculation still seems to work.

I would like to watch that again, but yeah that's "retail stores" not "GenCon". Nor is it Amazon and Barnes and Noble even (which get their books separate from brick and mortar shops in one bulk shipping direct from the warehouse).

Again, Mearls himself says it takes four months. Which I'm pretty sure I've mentioned to you before, and provided you with a link to the podcast interview.

Again, I would like to watch that so a link would be great, but regardless that's to retail brick and mortar stores.

If you have some actual counter information to offer, I'd like to hear it.
What's your theory or thoughts? Do you think WotC has been silent on release dates, pricing, and the like for fun?

I think they are holding PR for 1-2 months prior to release, because that's when they get the biggest bang for their buck. It's what most normal companies do. It's what Hasbro in general does. It's what several other people in this thread are guessing as well.

Last edited:

Maybe that means you need to step away for a bit; save yourself and us your constant cynicism and nay saying.
You're right. I'm so sick of all the edition waring, the 4vengers, the WotC apologists, and everything. I went through this all before during the 3e-4e transition, and it all seems fairly similar save the 4e fans being the disgruntled defenders of the dead edition. The notes are all different but the song is the same.
I'm done. Done with message boards and possibly even D&D...

Remove ads