• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Greyhawk CANCELLED in 2008 - rpga report

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Insight said:
The "they" in that probably references RPGA and not LG. At least that would make sense based on what else has been said.
I don't care any more how to interpret ashockney's post. I just mentioned it because his post came out nearly 24 hours before the official RPGA announcement to its members. Ashockney's post raced around LG forums and was put through all sort of worst-case and best-case interpretations. That was Agamon's reference at the top, that LG's cancellation was old news based on ashockney's post.

d10

First Post
SHARK said:
Greetings!

You know, I'm kinda amazed that there may be still some people about that cling to the belief that Greyhawk is somehow still important or relevant to WOTC. It seems to me that the World of Greyhawk has long since been abandoned, and it's beaten and dead carcass has only been grudgingly kept around--and occasionally *pimped*--for the sake of nostalgia, or to maintain some farsical pretense that Greyhawk really isn't dead.

Sad to say, Greyhawk has long been officially ignored, beaten down, neglected, and virtually buried.

Greyhawk is gone. People really should spare themselves the ongoing anguish, disappointment, and frustration, and let go of the belief or hope that WOTC is going to do anything meaningful with Greyhawk.

For WOTC, Greyhawk is dead.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

My feelings exactly.

Ranger REG said:
Does that mean there will be a funeral service for Greyhawk?
Well, there is a gap in the schedule for another setting book in 2010.

Phew, made my Will save to avoid making a bad pun around the phrase "ashes to ashes".

Emirikol

Adventurer
If Greyhawk wasn't important or was to be ignored, they wouldn't bother with the GREYHAWK NAMED SPELLS. Sure, I think the world's dead, but I don't get why they need to keep the named spells. It's not important. It's also contradictory to every new setting that comes out.

Worse, tis' kind of an embarrassment to FR, which doesn't have much in the way of named spells or known lore (except to FR fantatics).

I dug out my buried (and dead) FR stuff to take a look at the kind of elements that I'm going to have to throw into LFR scenarios...well, there's more 'stuff' than in Greyhawk..but there's also going to be an annoying amount of fanboys sitting at tables snarking off about what "this novel" or "that novel" had to say about an area. I WEEP for new LFR DM's. The same crap happened when LC was around.

jh

catsclaw227

First Post
SHARK said:
Sad to say, Greyhawk has long been officially ignored, beaten down, neglected, and virtually buried.

Greyhawk is gone. People really should spare themselves the ongoing anguish, disappointment, and frustration, and let go of the belief or hope that WOTC is going to do anything meaningful with Greyhawk.

For WOTC, Greyhawk is dead.
Dungeon magazine was an official Dungeons & Dragons product, published by Paizo. It printed Greyhawk material for years, and the 3 WELL received APs were set in Greyhawk. I would say that they have NOT "long been officially ignored, beaten down, neglected, and virtually buried."

I wonder if the core setting in DnDI's Dungeon will remain Greyhawk or move on.

Xyxox

Hero
I think it's ominous news that FR will become "Living Forgotten Realms".

Hasn't every "Living" campaign setting before it died?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Xyxox said:
I think it's ominous news that FR will become "Living Forgotten Realms".

Hasn't every "Living" campaign setting before it died?
Living Greyhawk isn't dieing, it is being killed. There are tens of thousands of players playing it. Living City did die partly because of the 3.0 conversion, mostly because Organized Play (the company not the branch of WotC) tried to make players pay to play it. People left in waves rather than pay for what was once free, especially with Living Greyhawk freely available.

Living Forgotten Realms will end at some point. How it ends depends on how many people playing it. That doesn't mean that the Forgotten Realms will die like Greyhawk is. As huge numbers of people buy Realms novels it will never end even after the Living campaign set there ends.

However, I am convinced that if the Living campaign that was begun in 2000 with 3.0's release was set in the Realms to begin with and not in Greyhawk that we wouldn't be killing some hypothetical 8-year-old Living FR. We would be having a leap forward in the setting and a restart of the campaign. IMO, we are seeing an end to Living Greyhawk because it is Greyhawk and WotC doesn't want it around.

Remove ads