Lizardfolk Oath of the Ancients paladin, Tortal Arcane Cleric / Wizard or Assimar Warlock?

Paul Smart

Explorer
Hello everyone.

I am building a new character for a game starting somewhere between level 8 to 10. After I great deal of thought I am down to 3 choices:

Lizardfolk Oath of the Ancients paladin - dex based, uses a shield and whip as his main weapon, throwing daggers as a backup

Tortal Arcane Cleric / Wizard - great AC from the toral, all the knowledge skills.

Assimar Warlock - Tome Pact, Patron is Great Old One.

Help me decide which to play. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks

Edit

Now that I know a bit more about the party I will be playing with I think a divine caster would be best. I will definitely play the lizardfolk paladin in another game. That is just too interesting a character to not try out. I am now thinking either:

A Water Genasi Life cleric or
A Tortal Circle of Dreams Druid.
An Arcane Cleric (suggested race?)
If allowed a Death Cleric.

My focus would be on healing and support spells. Does anyone have any advice on this new idea?

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I personally like your Lizardfolk the best - Ancients Paladin at 8 to 10 is a great class for group synergy plus the weapons and race are very flavorful. The two auras work together very nicely. I see so many go for Vengance with GWM for damage, but this I think is stronger when looked at in a team setting.

Tortle works well. You mention an Arcana Cleric and knowledge skills, have you looked at a Knowledge Cleric instead for expertise on some of them? I'd probably go primarily one or the other. If you can go 14 DEX, Tortle isn't buying you any AC at 8-10th - AC 17 flat is the same as Half Plate (cleric medium armor prof) and a +2 Dex. Not saying you should go that way, but that if you were doing it primarily for high AC, you can mimic that easily without locking in your race.

As a side note, there are a lot of good wizard sublcasses, but the idea of a knowledge cleric and a diviner wizard multiclass - the character who knew everything - has some thematic fun.

Aasimar Warlock - yeah, it works. Somehow seems too on-point.

Paul Smart

Explorer
Great idea ccs. This is everything I know so far:

Other players:
Currently, we have 2 rogues, a barbarian and a fighter warlock.

Campaign Background:
The land of Genovia was a battleground between elementals for thousands of years. King Stevius III conquered the land and cleared it mostly of elementals. The elementals are trying to get their land back. Why are they working together so easily? Is there anything influencing them?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Great idea ccs. This is everything I know so far:

Other players:
Currently, we have 2 rogues, a barbarian and a fighter warlock.

Campaign Background:
The land of Genovia was a battleground between elementals for thousands of years. King Stevius III conquered the land and cleared it mostly of elementals. The elementals are trying to get their land back. Why are they working together so easily? Is there anything influencing them?

Picking a character based off the group and setting I really like the Cleric/Wizard.

I think overall I like your lizardfolk character the best in a vaccum. I'm not a fan of the assimir warlock at all.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My vote is for lizard folk paladin. Love the flavor there. Then again, I’m biased because I played a lizardfolk ranger once and had a ton of fun.

For wizard, portent is probably one of the best abilities in the game.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I too would vote on the Lizardfolk Paladin if I had the decision. I haven't played much paladin, and that is my favorite (not Human) race. The whip really seems a nice fit as well.

Also... King Stevius. I love it. (I am of course thinking of it as Stev-e-us) Probably not right on that pronunciation, but I may steal it.

Paul Smart

Explorer
I love the Paladin and have made him. He is starting off as a Fighter and then going Paladin. He just levelled up to fighter 2. My only question is if he should go fighter 3 (battle master) then switch or if he should switch now?

For the campaign starting at 10, I have gone Life Cleric as they really need a healer. The race will be Water Gensi to tie into the elemental theme.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I love the Paladin and have made him. He is starting off as a Fighter and then going Paladin. He just levelled up to fighter 2. My only question is if he should go fighter 3 (battle master) then switch or if he should switch now?

For the campaign starting at 10, I have gone Life Cleric as they really need a healer. The race will be Water Gensi to tie into the elemental theme.

Oooo... I am liking the Battle Master idea.

Think of the neat tricks he can do with a whip and battle mastery dice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases