• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Locking Garrotes and the Reduce spell

Sigma

First Post
What happens when a victim of a Locking Garrote (S&S) gets hit with a Reduce spell? Do they and the garrote both shrink, or does just the victim shrink, allowing them to escape. To me, this depends on whether or not the garrote counts as equipment.

Anubis

First Post
If the victim receives the reduce spell, the victim shrinks and is free. If the garrote receives the reduce spell . . . *shudders* . . . (I'd rule instant death.)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
If the locking garrote has been release by the attacker, then the spell will reduce the garrote, too. It cannot descriminate between the garrote or a regular necklace. The garrote should be considered equipment in this case.

Mahali

Explorer
You can not shrink/expand things to the point of causing damage. Shrinking the creature they get free (or at least the garrote isn't causeing damage anymore. Shrinking the garrote does nothing except make sure it's good and snug (no game effect).

Just as expanding/enlarging a creature inside a cage does no damage. They grow until they are wedged into place but that is all. In the case of shrinking the cage it shrinks holding them in place but won't cause damage or burst the cage with either enlarge or shrink.

Edit: Darn those simo posts. Dr. Zoom is correct. When the attacker lets go it become part of the equipment of the character and would be shrunk along with him. If the attacker is still holding on then see my above answer.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
IMC I have houseruled Reduce/Enlarge so that they do not affect length, just thickness. So a reduce on the garrotte would make it easier to snap.

Anubis

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
If the locking garrote has been release by the attacker, then the spell will reduce the garrote, too. It cannot descriminate between the garrote or a regular necklace. The garrote should be considered equipment in this case.

Where exactly is that stated in the rules? The "Reduce" spell states nothing of the sort, and neither does the SRD, and neither does the errata.

Anubis

First Post
Vaxalon said:
IMC I have houseruled Reduce/Enlarge so that they do not affect length, just thickness. So a reduce on the garrotte would make it easier to snap.

Where is the logic in that? The spell description specifically says otherwise.

Anubis

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:

Does that mean if I'm shot by an arrow and reduced, the arrows shrinks with me instead of being pushed out of me?

Ludicrous.

If something is harming you, it is OBVIOUSLY not part of your equipment. I would think the spellcaster could determine the difference.

You may be right, but not for the reason you stated. I still wonder if that is the case though. I would rule no, but my players don't even think about such weapons, and my bad guys have better things to do.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The spellcaster has nothing to do with it. He decides the target, which is the creature. According to the spell, all equipment worn or carried is affected. What I am saying is that the garrote is a piece of equipment worn by the target. You may disagree if you like, but it is not ludicrous.

Thanee

First Post
Dr. Zoom, I think the explanation about the garrotte counting as equipment is not correct.

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is reduced by the spell.

I would understand this as only equipment worn by a creature is reduced together with it, if a creature is targeted. If an object is targeted, this should not apply.

I see your reasoning, that the spell cannot discern one equipment piece and would therefore reduce all at once, but I doubt the paragraph is meant like that!

This is probably the phrase that creates the confusion...

A shrinking object may damage weaker materials affixed to it, but a reduced object shrinks only as long as the object itself is not damaged.

A rather ambiguous statement. I would only allow it to damage non-living materials, tho. It's surely not a spell meant to cause damage - or worse - instant death.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads