Loki! (spoiler thread)

MarkB

Legend
I wonder what will happen if Mobius finds out the TVA ARE the bad guys and his organisation is being set up
At this point I'm keeping an open mind as to whether Mobius is the bad guy, and is actually obfuscating the investigation into the rogue variant and bringing in this Loki purely to further muddy the waters.

Also, is "the one, true sacred timeline as dictated by these three god-lizard-people" even a good-guy position in the first place?

Also also, it really does feel like they're borrowing heavily from Doctor Who for this backstory. The whole ancient Time War is straight out of the first couple of seasons of new Who, and the bureaucratic, hidebound, officious organisation dedicated solely to preserving the timeline is very Time Lord-esque.

They're doing it in style, though. I do like the retro look of the TVA - very Fallout style, especially with the cartoony posters and expository videos.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
At this point I'm keeping an open mind as to whether Mobius is the bad guy, and is actually obfuscating the investigation into the rogue variant and bringing in this Loki purely to further muddy the waters.

Also, is "the one, true sacred timeline as dictated by these three god-lizard-people" even a good-guy position in the first place?

Also also, it really does feel like they're borrowing heavily from Doctor Who for this backstory. The whole ancient Time War is straight out of the first couple of seasons of new Who, and the bureaucratic, hidebound, officious organisation dedicated solely to preserving the timeline is very Time Lord-esque.

They're doing it in style, though. I do like the retro look of the TVA - very Fallout style, especially with the cartoony posters and expository videos.
the doctor was in marvel at some points so it is not odd plus there are few other ways to do such an organisation.

I just read a review of the episode that uses the phrase "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just watched the first episode, "Glorious Purpose". I loved it! I think I'm going to like this show even more than I liked WandaVision.
Oh I had forgotten they were switching to Wednesdays until you reminded me, so just went and watched it. I loved the 60/70s future retro look they've used for the TVA, it adds to the whole surreal bureaucracy of it all. Hiddelstone has a really expressive face too, he expressed the emotional breakdown well as he went from arrogant would be conqueror to realisation of his own loss and personal tragedy - my wifes a counsellor, so seeing a whole episode of TVA therapy was interesting

Looking forward to the story unfolding beyond the movie flashbacks

and obligatory Mephisto Did It!!!

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Quite enjoying it so far. Had high expectations with Hiddleson, good so far with a few minor misses.

I think I'm glad they did WandaVision (nonstandard) then a palette cleaner of Falcon and the Winter Soldier which was more classic MCU, and now back to soemthing that feels like they really need the length and processing-time of a show to get across. I've enjoyed both the previous, though in different ways. I am pretty much their target audience though.

The minor gaffes I mentioned before - the opening intro music didn't grab me. I'm hoping that's intentional and it will vary during the run. But I was looking for more Jon Williams recognizing a god, and it was almost trite instead. (On the other hand, the ending music, with the discordant twang instead of closure, I did think did a good job.)

The other is that I get that time-travel needs to gut-reaction show the viewer that they are out-of-their-time which means either forward or backwards, but I feel like Umbrella Academy recently did the old-timey 1950s feel for their time traveler bureau.

Interesting dichotomy between Mobius, not wearing the uniform and acting clearly subservient to the judge, and willing to go "off script". While not everyone wore uniforms (like the processing people), their actions were very uniform to the TSA mentality. And since "purge first" seems to be an operating rule, including for not having a ticket, that suggests a lot about the directives that formed that.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if the whole thing wasn't a set up, exactly as Loki predicted. Or that Mobius is other than he seems. Or, well, I'm expecting twists and hope they include ones I don't see coming.

Also loved the nod to Ironman 3 when loki attempts to use magic and the guard fights back laughing out loud and obligatory #Caseyneedshisownshow

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
That little animated explanation of the Sacred Timeline does nicely help set up Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.
Hmmm... if the TVA ends up being "burnt to the ground" (whether in this series or off-screen a la Xandar) and are no longer keeping an eye on the timeline, it could indeed lead to a multiverse of madness.

Stalker0

Legend
The moment for me was the drawer full of Infinity stones.... you can see Loki literally broken and humbled by the weight of the power here.

And yet....the hint of excitement.... Loki has always craved power, and now he may have found the greatest power of them all.

My only issue is the ramification of the TVA existing at all. As Loki is lashing out and saying "its my choice", and Moebius just kind of soft laughing like "sure it is".... I mean, what is the point of ANY of the rest of the marvel universe is the TVA is just going to make sure what should happens happens? What is the point of the avengers avenging? Are the Eternals going to seem all that powerful when you have a bunch of bureaucrats that keep infinity stones in their drawers for decorations?

So I'm partly worried that the roof has been blown off power scale wise. Now that is comics, but will this continue to translate to the big and small screens we will see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases