Looking for a Good First Timer RPG

jcayer

Explorer
I would look for a system that is quick to play. I play 4E every other week, but would I want to teach my wife using it, probably not, she'd get bored and distracted waiting for her turn.

If I went with AD&D, combat typically moves quicker and there are classes that are much less complicated to play. I haven't touched the old Basic edition in ages, but I suspect it has the same deal, even simpler.

I'm not looking for an edition war here, just giving my opinion.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Savage Worlds yet. I'm reading it now and I can't imagine it will be that hard to get the hang of.

MortonStromgal

First Post
Whatever topic she is into would be the #1 choice.

Baring that I have always said if anyone watched Lord of the Rings (PJ films) and then read Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e (just the core book) they would already be ready to run their first game.

Anything from White-Wolf also gets a nod just for having the easiest to explain character sheet.

ArghMark

First Post
If she likes the Dresden Files world and books, I'd play those first.

If you can play a game where she feels comfortable and not out of her element, it's going to be a little easier.

If she likes modern things, do the Dresden thing or if you have it in you the latest Mage. The actual rules aren't overly complex and generating a character doesn't take a zillion years.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Excellent responses from all.

The Dresden RPG intrigued her, but the size of the books threw her off... heh.

I got her playing weekly Carcassonne games with my mother and I... now she wants to try RPGs. God bless her.

Ya know, I dont think she ever watched the LotR trilogy... I'm due for me yearly marathon anyway ;)

I'll have her watch a few of Zak's videos... totally forgot about them after I watch the first two... I tend to do that with web vids... and most TV today... slip my mind.

Keeps 'em coming. The more ideas, the more likely I (or others) find the right one.

jbear

First Post
Keep in mind the Essentials line of D&D 4e is about to come out, specifically targetted at new players. It is even meant to have a solo adventure along which somehow you choose your class.

I'm not going to speak for women in general but I have 4 happy/hooked women in my 4e group. 2 of them had played 3.5 with me, and both say they prefer 4e. I think the fact it is less fiddly (movement for example), combat is more dynamic and charcters are more heroic at 1st level have been factors in this preference.

maddman75

First Post
I would look for a system that is quick to play. I play 4E every other week, but would I want to teach my wife using it, probably not, she'd get bored and distracted waiting for her turn.

If I went with AD&D, combat typically moves quicker and there are classes that are much less complicated to play. I haven't touched the old Basic edition in ages, but I suspect it has the same deal, even simpler.

I'm not looking for an edition war here, just giving my opinion.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Savage Worlds yet. I'm reading it now and I can't imagine it will be that hard to get the hang of.

Old D&D also tends to kill you for touching, looking at, opening, or doing the wrong thing with very little or no warning or notice.

Savage Worlds is an excellent suggestion. The core rules are nice and slim, and easy to adapt to whatever setting you want.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Old D&D also tends to kill you for touching, looking at, opening, or doing the wrong thing with very little or no warning or notice.

I find that aspect of the game tends to be relatively DM-specific and can be ramped-up/down depending on the skill level of the players.

malcolypse

First Post
edit: just now bothered to pay attention to everyone's post before jumping in with my two cents and noticed that maddman75 beat me to the punch on this one. my hat off to him for his excellent taste and quick typing fingers. :end edit

dread.

i can't pimp this game enough.

it's simple. there are no numbers on your character sheet to lead to min-maxing being necessary. there are no bad choices, if you don't want to pull, you don't have to. it's rp heavy when done well, because who wants to pull when they don't have to. if you haven't looked at it, i suggest reading over the thread here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...t-up-my-dice-my-results-indie-horror-rpg.html

you lead into the game with this explanation: "we are going to tell a story together. it will be dangerous for the characters, and they may die, but the point isn't to "win", the point is to have fun so enjoy yourself and help me tell the story of..." and you close with the name of the story and give them they're character sheets.

the basic rules are so simple that they're available as a four page download on the interwebs. there are also several stories to get you started.

no fear introductory gaming at it's best, and the tower gets so intimidating that she'll forget that she's new to the hobby and just experience it.

Last edited:

Pseudopsyche

First Post
My vote is for Mouse Guard. The book assumes no prior familiarity with RPGs, and the mechanics are very accessible. Everything a player needs to know is on the character sheet. The game also provides great hooks for roleplaying, by having each player define his or her character's Beliefs, Goals, and Instincts. The setting is at once familiar and fantastical, since everyone is familiar with all the "monsters" (common animals), but they become suddenly menacing and challenging when you're only a mouse!

I'm not sure I would want to play only Mouse Guard, but it seems a great way to get in RPGs. If nothing else, it should provide plenty of gameplay until D&D Essentials arrives on the scene.

Remove ads