• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good online tabletop

uriel222

First Post
So I'm moving (again), and I'm looking for a good virtual tabletop solution. I've looked at Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, and Tabletop Simulator, but I'm torn. They all seem to have a bit of a steep learning curve, and even watching streams of people who seem to know what they're doing, they seem to spend more time playing around with the VTT than actually playing the game. What I'm looking for should ideally have the following features:
  • Mac and PC support
  • Imported maps (I run a lot of published adventures, and I really prefer it if the players can see the gorgeous maps, instead of my crude sketchings.
  • Fog of War (I also like them to EXPLORE the dungeon, so I want to block off parts they can't see. Manual FoW is fine)
  • Dice

Also, I don't mind if the chat is external (like Discord), so long as the VTT doesn't interfere. Same thing with character sheets (the VTT doesn't need to auto-calc everything).

Fantasy Grounds is expensive, and looks kind of complicated and a little antiquated. Roll20 looks REALLY complicated, and kind of "github-y" (custom scripts everywhere, and the marketplace is atrocious). TableTop Simulator looks nice, but seems to rely on Workshop mods, and I'm not sure how to put in custom things like maps and monster tokens (other than the ones it comes with). This is just first impressions, of course, so I'd love to be proven wrong

I just want something simple and clean, so I can take my existing tabletop group with me when I move. Any suggestions?

Remove ads