looking for a space combat sim game

noretoc

First Post
Anyone know a good space combat game? A simulation, not a strategy game. I know about darkforce one and freelancer, which are good games, but I am looking for one a little more simulation type. Using the mouse is fun, but I'd rather have it need a stick and have some more control options. I loved x-win vs Tie Fighter, so that would have been perfect if there was a 2006 version out. I saw an ad for freespace 2 but it was from 1999. I can't find anyhting more recent. Thanks

BarakO

First Post
IIRC, Independence War is supposed to be really realistic as far as the space flight physics goes... don't remember if you could use a joystick with it or not...

May still be an issue for you though as it too is an older game (though newer than X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter).

Welverin

First Post
BarakO said:
IIRC, Independence War is supposed to be really realistic as far as the space flight physics goes... don't remember if you could use a joystick with it or not...

You could use a joystick, and there was also a sequel.

As for more recent SCS, there probably aren't many. The genre seemed to have mostly died five or more years ago.

DethStryke

Explorer
noretoc said:
Anyone know a good space combat game? A simulation, not a strategy game. I know about darkforce one and freelancer, which are good games, but I am looking for one a little more simulation type. Using the mouse is fun, but I'd rather have it need a stick and have some more control options. I loved x-win vs Tie Fighter, so that would have been perfect if there was a 2006 version out. I saw an ad for freespace 2 but it was from 1999. I can't find anyhting more recent. Thanks

Freespace 2 was/is so good that you should pick it up regardless. If you haven't played it, and you like that genre, you're missing out on one of the gems. Sure, it's not as pretty as it could be if it were made today, but it's got a lot more going for it anyway.

Problem being that it's hard to come by for less than 60 bucks, and that is used! :(

noretoc

First Post
Thanks. I just downloaded a demo for arvoch conflict and it seems very cool, but I will look for a copy of freespace 2.

Banshee16

First Post
DethStryke said:
Freespace 2 was/is so good that you should pick it up regardless. If you haven't played it, and you like that genre, you're missing out on one of the gems. Sure, it's not as pretty as it could be if it were made today, but it's got a lot more going for it anyway.

Problem being that it's hard to come by for less than 60 bucks, and that is used! :(

I *love* the intro to Freespace 2....so atmospheric. And going up against a capital ship that's miles long, hearing those big anti-cap lasers warming up to blow you into dust particles? Awesome :)

Banshee

Remove ads