• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a System

Clownmite

First Post
I'm looking for a fantasy RPG system that is good for casual players (relatively rules-light) and has fast, fun combat. Ideally, combat should allow a player several options (more than just "I attack the monster"), and players should have to change strategies each combat. I don't like the way standard HP works either, so I'd prefer something where getting wounded matters, and characters weren't able to survive a ridiculous numbers of hits. 4E is a possibility, but I want others.

Thoughts?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mongoose RuneQuest II? It's certainly not more rules-heavy than 4e (!) and it seems to tick the other boxes too. Combat Manoeuvres happen all the time, basically, and these make battle a great deal more dynamic. They interact with each other interestingly, which is fun. Certain weapons enable certain manoeuvres, also.

And yes, you have to watch out for lingering consequences. You do not just rush headlong into every single opponent or situation, unless your character literally has a death wish. Larger groups of enemies can be murder, in particular. Though not impossible, mind you.

I mean, yeah, you do have Hit Points, but they're not at all as abundant as D&D's, so I wouldn't go relying on that "buffer".

You have multiple forms of magic in the core book, with - I suspect - others in splats, if that's your thing. Some great settings available for the game, as well, with more on the way, I've no doubt.

All in all, I consider it a solid, and very fine game.

A

amerigoV

I'm looking for a fantasy RPG system that is good for casual players (relatively rules-light) and has fast, fun combat. Ideally, combat should allow a player several options (more than just "I attack the monster"), and players should have to change strategies each combat. I don't like the way standard HP works either, so I'd prefer something where getting wounded matters, and characters weren't able to survive a ridiculous numbers of hits. 4E is a possibility, but I want others.

Thoughts?

If you throw in Furious, you have just describe Savage Worlds to a T. And its $10. Don't walk, RUN! to the following links.

Main Website: Welcome to Pinnacle's Weird Website!
Test Drive Rules: http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf
The Making of SW (which covers most of the points you raised): http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/MakingofSW.pdf

Plus you can run just about any genre, not just fantasy.

Mallus

Legend
I'll second Savage Worlds... my group's new to the system, but we really like it so far. We're using it for Flash Gordon-esque pulp scig-fi, but we're seriously looking into converting not one, but two paused D&D campaigns (3e & 4e) to it.

Coming off of seven years of D&D 3e/4e, the simplicity of Savage Worlds is a, well, a relief.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Yep, I'd recommend Savage Worlds as well. I love 4e, but for something fast and easy (okay, that came out wrong...) I think Savage Worlds is a good choice. I've only played it once, at a convention, but I was up and running in no time and never really worried too much about the rules (they were simple to follow).

Plus, you get to roll all kinds of different dice, not just d20s all the time. Whee!

nedjer

Adventurer
Gaping wounds and lots of them at speed. You could try in the sig.

For what you describe BECMI D&D has a lot going for it. Throw in a critical hits table and good to go.

Ariosto

First Post
I'm not familiar with the new Mongoose RQ, but I have read only good things about it (and especially the Combat Maneuvers) and I do very much like old Chaosium (1st-3rd ed.) RuneQuest. The first MRQ seems not to have had such appeal.

A game that is a bit lighter is Paul Elliott's Zenobia, but the download links were dead last I checked. That has a neat system for saving up points to deliver strikingly (and perhaps decisively) gruesome wounds.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'll toss in another vote for Savage Worlds. It sounds pretty much identical to the OP's description.

Remove ads