D&D 5E Looking for Class Features List

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I seem to recall a thread about all the class features in 5E but can't find it. Does anyone know of this or a resource that lists all the class features (or most anyway)?

In the spirit that Tasha's didn't go far enough, what if every class feature became a feat and classes disappeared? You would begin with choosing 2-3 of them, and then gain another every level.

For the most part, the idea is you could "rebuild" a class if you wanted to, or use this to "multiclass" or use it to make something completely unique.

It is just a notion for now, but something I might work on in my free time. shrug

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Personally, I wouldn’t like it. D&D is a class based game, and while I think it would benefit from a clearer design vision as to what classes are, getting rid of classes entirely would just be a bridge too far for me.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pathfinder 2E is halfway there. Nearly everything is a feat. Still has classes though.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This document has a pretty solid list of most of the main class features, as it's an attempt to do what you're trying to do.

Adventurer | GM Binder
That looks pretty darn close. I'll review it this weekend. Thanks! :)

Personally, I wouldn’t like or. D&D is a class based game, and while I think it would benefit from a clearer design vision as to what classes are, getting rid of classes entirely would just be a bridge too far for me.
Now, as to whether or not I think this is a good idea--I don't know. It was just an idea I thought I might play around with... 🤷‍♂️

jgsugden

Legend
I think your enjoyment of the game, using a "buffet" style ability collection will depend upon the players. If you're a group of optimizers, this would fall apart quickly due to overpowered PCs and frustrations over why somebody was able to get X at the same cost that I got Y when X is so much stronger than Y...

If, however, everyone is interested in story over power, then it could likely work really well as it gives you more ability to control the tools with which the story is built. However, this type of game is very rare.

If you want this approach, I'd consider speaking to the DM about something like a homebrew subclass that take an existing class in the direction you want to add to the PC. You may get the same result with a lot less work.

In the spirit that Tasha's didn't go far enough, what if every class feature became a feat and classes disappeared? You would begin with choosing 2-3 of them, and then gain another every level.

I think you'd find these menu based characters would all get very optimized and samey real quick and that the learning curve to build a character capable of feeling useful alongside them would be a lot higher.

I seem to recall a thread about all the class features in 5E but can't find it. Does anyone know of this or a resource that lists all the class features (or most anyway)?

For the most part, the idea is you could "rebuild" a class if you wanted to, or use this to "multiclass" or use it to make something completely unique.

It is just a notion for now, but something I might work on in my free time. shrug
There are games already like that. D&D is a class based game through and through. The more you remove that, the more generic all PCs feel imho.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think you'd find these menu based characters would all get very optimized and samey real quick and that the learning curve to build a character capable of feeling useful alongside them would be a lot higher.
It might, but you also might find a lot more variation because you have access to things without having to tie yourself into the class that normally has them. I really don't know how it might turn out--I could see either direction or something in between even.

There are games already like that. D&D is a class based game through and through. The more you remove that, the more generic all PCs feel imho.
Very true, but this is the direction WotC is taking it with the inclusion of TCoE. Think about all the class-specific features that are now available as feats--there are several.

Personally, I agree with you in that I wish D&D kept the classes more distinct and WotC would stop stepping on toes, so to say.

Anyway, at this point it is just a thought and something to play around with time permitting. :)

Very true, but this is the direction WotC is taking it with the inclusion of TCoE. Think about all the class-specific features that are now available as feats--there are several.

Personally, I agree with you in that I wish D&D kept the classes more distinct and WotC would stop stepping on toes, so to say.

Anyway, at this point it is just a thought and something to play around with time permitting. :)
I agree with you. It is the direction they are taking, until they come out with a new edition. It is the direction all games like D&D take, until a new edition comes out. That is one of the difficult things about splat books, you only have so many mechanics that you are able to tinker with. Eventually, the mechanic you set aside for the rogue gets used by the monk, or the wizard's gets used by the fighter, etc.

This is one of the reasons I think having a clearly defined PHB with distinction is so important. It actually allows them to make splat books that people want. If it starts out too open, then the only splat book you get is something like Sword Coast Adventures, which is a fun read, but offers little in marketability to players, who vastly outnumber DMs.

Remove ads