Looking for solo & 2-player tabletop recommendations

KenNYC

Explorer
That's an odd requirement for a boardgame.

It's a mystery solving game. There are five cases to solve but you have a limited amount of actions to solve the cases. The cases are all fictional but there is a backdrop of actual real world history and events which you might have to google or check wikipedia pages (or any page you wish really) to find the missing piece of the puzzle. It's very interesting, and the cases are all linked to form a greater story about secrets and corruption which my group and I are slowly unearthing. I am up to case four and think it's a great game, you just need a tablet, computer or smartphone while you play. We play with three players but it is easily done with two.

Jhaelen

First Post
The cases are all fictional but there is a backdrop of actual real world history and events which you might have to google or check wikipedia pages (or any page you wish really) to find the missing piece of the puzzle.
That sounds a lot like the puzzle quests in the Secret World MMO:
Some missions involve fetching items or fighting monsters; others include a variety of puzzles that are quasi-alternate reality games that require "searching the Internet" for clues with an in-game browser.[4]
They use a mix of 'real' websites and websites that were specifically created for the game, e.g. to portray the in-game factions or fictional companies. I really enjoyed these puzzles; so, if it's like that, that's quite cool, but it's not something I would want in a boardgame.

I specifically returned to playing board games regularly because I wanted to get away from playing online games and spend more time 'offline' with a bunch of friends. I don't really care for board games that require an app to play.

Nytmare

David Jose
That's an odd requirement for a boardgame.

A lot of games are dabbling in that play space now. I think it's novel, but not something that's going to really become the new normal. I think that the new... is it Descent? Maybe Mansions of Madness? Regardless, they've removed the "DM" player and replaced them with an app. I think one of the Star Wars games maybe does that too. There's a mazey kind of game called Mask of Anubis that involves one player wearing a smart phone/VR headset while everyone else is using a board.

From what I've heard, In Detective, part of the game is actively researching information by Googling for it.

I specifically returned to playing board games regularly because I wanted to get away from playing online games and spend more time 'offline' with a bunch of friends. I don't really care for board games that require an app to play.

I tend to keep my hobbies seperate - I don't use online stuff when I roleplay. I play video games on console, single player. My board games are a time to unplug. If a game requires an app or an online connection to play it (board or RPG) I won't play that game.

Jhaelen

First Post
I think that the new... is it Descent? Maybe Mansions of Madness?
Actually both. I think there's also app support for Imperial Assault. However none of these require an active internet connection. You just download the app and that's it.

That's what I thought was odd about 'Detective'. But if you're supposed to search the internet for clues, it makes sense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases