• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting Dead Comrades

On our latest adventure, we encountered a green dragon. The party consists of level4 / 5 characters. During this encounter one of the parties is slain. Once the combat end the Paladin of the group decides to re-distrubute the items the slain paty member had been given as previous treasure. THis caused a bit of a stir as a few of the other members thought this would be against the Paladin's code. CAN i have your views please.

JimAde

First Post
Depends entirely on what the paladin's code is. They vary. In some cultures taking anything from the dead is considered a major no-no, while others would say that using the fallen warrior's weapons and tools to keep fighting evil is honoring him.

What's the paladin's background, etc?

Does the dead character have family who could use money? In that case, his possessions should probably go to them. In fact, they probably should, regardless, for the family to decide.

diaglo

Adventurer
ditto what JimAde said for the paladin.

should go to the family or at least some compensation. if the paladin is leader.

if the other PCs think they should have the stuff that's up to them and their own background, alignment, relationship, etc...

what about the dead PCs player? does he want to come back to life? or is he gonna roll up a new PC?

FCWesel

First Post
I don't see a problem with this. There's nothing all that wrong with redistribution of needed items to the whole of the group. Assumingly the group will take care of the body remains as per the PCs "faith/wants". Also, I would assume that anything that was "family stuff" would be returned, ie "the family blade".

A lot of it depends on the paladin's faith. All in all, being Lawful Good doesn't mean you have to be "Awful Stupid" when it comes to "stuff."

Now, in my games, the paladin would be expected to make sure the PCs last wishes were met, so long as they weren't contrary to his personal beliefs and also he would be expected to follow the wishes of the family memeber of the fallen PC (again, assuming they are not against his faith).

So, if the family showed up and asked for his body and stuff, obviously the paladin would be looked at to make sure that happens.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
No will, no family, no agreement to bring the dead back or even bury...all goods go to the party, nothing wasted.

Now...DM, bring the dead back as a NPC villian!

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
What does the Paladin's code say about taking the stuff from his fallen foes? Is that any different? Heck, it might even be worse as the valuables a foe has were likely gained as a result of evil acts. Should the paladin be able to benefit from another's evil?

I don't see how something like this could possibly go against a Paladin's code, unless they have some thing like "the fallen should be buried with their sword" kind of thing. He didn't kill his fellow party member, or allow him to die, to get his stuff. It isn't stealing - the guy is dead. Is it somehow honorable to leave his stuff for other scavengers?

JimAde's point about returning things to the family might be a good idea, but in the meantime, why not distribute the items? They might save someones life or further vanquish evil.

The dead party member never mentioned any family, and so we sent him back to the Druid Grove we recruited him from. The Paladin is a follower of Lathendar and was raised by hte churchdue to him been left on the doorsteps as a baby. Growing up became head of a small group of ghildren also growing up in the church. To help live an items found were shared. IF any of the group were removed for some reason their items were redistrubuted to any new members or to teh remaining members.

Omegaz

First Post
It would probably be useful to have the party draw up an agreement of how to deal with the possessions of their fallen comrades in future. Even without an agreement, I would definitely say the paladin was acting out of character. Was it just a free-for-all item grab, or did the party discuss issues such as seeking out their slain party members family first? I would think a paladin would insist on searching out the slain party member's family first. That search could form an interesting backdrop for a new adventure.

Sean

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Did the adventure take place in Detroit?

Cause otherwise the dead guy gets no vote.

I'm not sure what good a contract would do if you're not alive to file a grievance.

diaglo

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Did the adventure take place in Detroit?

Cause otherwise the dead guy gets no vote.

I'm not sure what good a contract would do if you're not alive to file a grievance.
Edited political comment - Eridanis

the paladin i'm guessing would honor the contract. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads