Lord of the Iron Fortress

Grendel

First Post
If you wanted to extrapolate the rules a little you could easily consider the plus on a magical weapon as the DR of the weapons. the books almost state as much (but not quite).

DMG 184
Magical enhancement increase a weapons hardness and hps by one for each enhancement bonus.

Also Adamantite has a hardness of 20 and 40hp per inch, so I think that an adamantite weapon should be able survive an encounter, at least long enough to have a mending (0 level) or make whole (cleric 2) spell cast upon it.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
From the rules I'd extrapolate that they can break magic weapons.

Maybe I would scale down the damage of the sundering bite. Or just the extra +4 to attack. After all, I disallowed improved sunder IMC so it would onlly be fair.

You have to realize that succeeding an opposed attack check against a level 15th fighter is a dangerous choice.

If we look at Tordek as described in LoTIF:

He has AC 32 so the bite attack of the steel predator touches him on a 12 (45%).

But Tordek has +27 for the opposed check so even at +23 the steel predator is facing a high risk of wasting an attack.

The cleric is easier to sunder but the heavy mace they often carry are almost impossible to sunder in just one attack!

Jozan +4 holy mace, for example, would have hardness 14 HP 29.

Our group met some of these creatures last week. We decided that the creatures could sunder weapons of +4 or less (it seems to have been the author's intent - why else would they be in the module).

When the player involved and the DM worked out the opposed rolls, the creature had a large advantage. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the creature has a large strength and size advantage. Fortunately for the party, the sorceror had cast G.M.W. on everyone's weapons so they were immune to this attack.

IMO, the intent of the rules is to allow creatures with Damage Reduction to sunder weapons of equal or less enhancement. This seems to be confirmed by the inclusion of the creatures in this module (they certainly don't rate their CR if all they can sunder is non-magical weapon).

Last edited:

Marion Poliquin

First Post
Response to Mal :

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder if I wasn't just overreacting. I should always try these things out in play before making an opinion. But then of course, if I'm wrong my players will be left with +4 tent pins in their hands by the end of the evening.

Response to Andor :

I agree that the author obviously meant them to be able to break magic weapons. I also agree that if the beasts can't actually break magic weaons they are hardly worth their CR.

I still have a lot of time to make up my mind. I guess that I'll either run the Steel Predators like they were meant to in spirit or lower their CR accordingly.

Marion Poliquin

First Post
StealthyMark said:
It seems like I have to wait another two weeks for this huge adventure... These steel predators are constructs, are they?

No. They're either aberrations or magical beasts (adventure is at home right now), but I'm quite sure they're not constructs.

(EDIT : Outsider is another possibility for the Steel Predator's monster type.)

Last edited:

armac

Long Live the Legion!
StealthyMark asked:
>These steel predators are constructs, are they?

Marion Poliquin answered:
>No. They're either aberrations or magical beasts (adventure
>is at home right now), but I'm quite sure they're not constructs.
>
>(EDIT : Outsider is another possibility for the Steel Predator's
>monster type.)

I just looked it up. Steel Predators are Large Outsiders.

Angus

armac

Long Live the Legion!
SpikeyFreak said:
What do these beasties look like? How many HD and what CR are they?

They sound pretty interesting.

--Piqued Spikey

The illustration of the Steel Predator looks like a large
iron cat with a shark-like head.

They are 12 HD, and CR 13.

Some very basic info:
- attack with a bite and 2 claws.

- Special attacks - Pounce, improved grab, rake, roar,
sundering bite.

- Special qualities - Blindsight, deaf, immunities, magic
sense, resistances, scent, and DR.

Angus

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Actually, I think they look a lot like a slender bulette with Iron scales and longer limbs. Well, proportionnaly longer since they are just large, not huge. But there is some flesh showing between the plates that justify the possibility sneak attacks working on these beasties.

Let's analyze them thoroughly, shall we? (geez, just one line of british impersonation and I'm annoying myself already!)

Strenghts

A strong AC of 30 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +16 natural). The warrior types will still hit most of the time with their first attack, but everyone else will be strugling.

They are also very annoying to rogues because they have blindsight 30 feet. That makes it very difficult to gain ranged sneak attack against them. Unless they are stunned, I see no other options. Especially since...

...their magic sense allow them to detect any magic items within 120 feet! Gaining surprise on these beasties is very tough even without accounting for their +18 spot skill. You probably can't count on them being flatfooted.

Roar: that is a very good opening attack. Every 1D4 round the steel predator can roar, causing 12D6 of damage and deafness for 2D6 round in a 30 feet cone. Fortitude 20 for half + negating deafness. Yes, it is a fortitude check, not reflex. Rogues will really hate them!

Improved grab: Usually, you face more than one steel predator at a time. As such I would strongly warn the wizard to avoid letting a steel predator near him at all cost. He's sure to grab and rake and make your life miserable if that were to happen. The fighter won't be too worried tough. The steel predator probably won't win a grapple check against him.

Initiative: +9 Heh, you know what that means.

DR 20/+4. One or two PC will probably be caught off guard by this on their first encounter. Of course, not if they are reading this :D

Speed: 50. This gives them a lot of tactical capabilities. Unless you stick close together they'll be able to pick on any isolated member. And if you stick together they'll be able to catch you all in their roar attack.

And of course: the dreaded sundering bite!. Yes, it can be very annoying. It's certainly its most dangerous ability. +4 to sunder check and double bite damage (meaning 4D6+14) is very likely to cause a lot of trouble.

So So

Attack and damage. +19 and +17 X 2 is nit bad but it's not great either at that level. The PC have seen worse. Heck, the PC fighter is "worse". Tordek at level 15 is supposed to do be +27!

Damage are also underwhelming. 2D6+7 on the bite will not terrify PC of that level. And the claws are only 2D4+3.

HP: 102 is OK.

Weaknesses :

NO MAGIC RESISTANCE. For a denizen of Acheron it is unusual but it means your wizard will have a field day. Their save are good though, but not unbeatable. And plenty of spell offer no saves.

They are also immune to sonic and electricity while they have 20 resistance to cold and fire. I guess I should have mentionned that in strenght but I'm sure you have noticed the one energy attack to which they are vulnerable: acid.

Oh yeah, and it has no reach.

Last edited:

Remove ads