• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lord of the Rings / Counter Collection 3

Fiery James

First Post
Yes, the title is a scam! But a little shameless self-promotion gets me back into old form...

So, saw The Two Towers last night. Also got the limited edition DVD set with the bookends. Very cool.

A lot of people in the theatre, especially the ones who aren't really into LotR and weren't fans of the first movie, liked this one a lot more. I can't say that it's better, but I think it's an excellent second chapter in an EPIC trilogy.

There's lots of stuff that's in there either to remind you that characters still exist before the third movie (such as flashbacks to Arwen and Elrond), or as set up for a pay off in Return of the King. There are many more diversions from the book than in the first movie. No big plot changes, but just new ways of getting there.

For me, the first movie was all about heroic sacrifice (which I love! - see Spock's sacrifice in Wrath of Khan). Frodo taking the ring, Sam's support of Frodo, Merry & Pippin getting Frodo out of the Shire with no questions and no hesitation, and sacrificing themselves to allow Frodo to go off on his own, Boromir's redemption... all that good stuff.

This movie is all about the line in the sand. Over and over again, the fact that it's fight or die time is underscored. From the unbelievably overwhelming odds at Helm's Deep to the Neutral attititudes of the Ents, the point hammered home is that there's no waiting out this storm; hesitation means death. The time for sacrifice has arrived. The final battle for Middle-Earth has begun.

Gollum is amazing. The Ents are cool, in an action-figury way. (They're sort of the Ewoks of the movie, only more pissed off). The Gate of Mordor is awesome. The Battle at Helm's Deep is kick-a$$.

The movie confirms that Aragorn is at least 20th level! :)

After seeing this, there's little doubt that Return of the King will have an unbelievable emotional pay off, as well as the greatest effects ever seen on film.

Also, there will be Expanded Editions of both The Two Towers and Return of the King released on DVD a few months after the Theatrical versions come out. All told, the complete Expanded Trilogy will run about ten-and-a-half hours. Goody!

OK, also of note is that Counter Collection III: MODERN is shipping to distribution this week and will hit retail in time for the big holiday rush. Bigger than any of our previous Counter Collections, we've covered multiple genres and have every character type and creature you can imagine for use with the new D20 Modern ruleset. We've also included the basics of our own Super Hero rules expansion for D20 Modern which will for the basis for the rules in Atomic City, our Super Hero setting coming out next spring.

Important to note, we've even got a Morrus counter, as well as a Piratecat counter in this collection!! :)

Now, very quietly, back to work I go...

- James

Abdul Al Hazrad

First Post
That's great. I am REALLY looking forward to Counter Collection III (oh, and Two Towers, as well).

But James, how come I can't order this stuff on line? I went looking at SV Games, no luck. I've been looking on your site for a place to purchase items, no luck. How do I buy your wonderful products?

Abdul Al Hazrad

PS., If you'd prefer just to ship them to me as a gesture of good will, I'll be happy to send you my address! :D

Psion

Adventurer
What gives James? Are you trying to throw the mods into a conundrum over whether to throw this into the non-RPG fantasy or Publishers thread, forcing them to leave it here? :)

And don't you guys, like, make adventures any more? :)

But James, how come I can't order this stuff on line? I went looking at SV Games, no luck. I've been looking on your site for a place to purchase items, no luck. How do I buy your wonderful products?

www.enworld.rpgshop.com has some FDP stuff, including some older stuff.

Fiery James

First Post
Psion said:
What gives James? Are you trying to throw the mods into a conundrum over whether to throw this into the non-RPG fantasy or Publishers thread, forcing them to leave it here? :)

That's funny! :) In my original post, I had a line in there about exactly that situation, but I took it out so as not to tempt fate!

Psion said:
And don't you guys, like, make adventures any more? :)

Well, there are some coming out in 2003, but I can't reveal details just yet. You see, it's sort of a secret project with Monte Cook TM and all of the details haven't been worked out yet.

Speaking of which, QUEEN OF LIES, which is now out of print, will be coming out as a PDF from RPG HOST this Friday the 13th!

And, I agree, that www.enworld.rpgshop.com is a great site to buy some FDP stuff, including some older stuff! Look for us to organize our online options over the next few weeks.

- James

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads