D&D 5E Lore books for 5e that I would actually buy

dave2008

Legend
The current WotC is moving toward removing depictions of certain creatures that are no longer considered socially acceptable. Any historical document should show the whole history, warts and all.
The only product that I can think of that is similar to the OP's suggestion is Art and Arcana. That seemed to cover all of the bits and pieces IIRC. I can't think of them removing any. The may be changing some in current works, but that is different IMO. As far as I know they have not edit old products. They are still there and available, just with a content warning. So I haven't seen any removing that I can think of.

Stormonu

Legend
The only product that I can think of that is similar to the OP's suggestion is Art and Arcana. That seemed to cover all of the bits and pieces IIRC. I can't think of them removing any. The may be changing some in current works, but that is different IMO. As far as I know they have not edit old products. They are still there and available, just with a content warning. So I haven't seen any removing that I can think of.
The orc monster entries from Mord's Tome of Foes being completely dropped in Monsters of the Multiverse is probably the most glaring example.

Back in the day, I enjoyed the various 2E I, Tyrant , The Sea Devils and the Illithiad books, as well as the 3E Draconomicon, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, etc. Though, having those books I really don't have an interest for it to be repeated in 5E (that was why I didn't rush out to get Fizban's, though someone was kind enough to get it for me for my birthday).

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Go with 3PP books really, and throw out WotC lore books - it is terrible anyway.

Dragons = Draconomicon. This is really an amazing book
Then just go for setting books, but make each setting its own meta-plane (Primal Order books), akin to MtG, and then you are done.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The orc monster entries from Mord's Tome of Foes being completely dropped in Monsters of the Multiverse is probably the most glaring example.

Back in the day, I enjoyed the various 2E I, Tyrant , The Sea Devils and the Illithiad books, as well as the 3E Draconomicon, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, etc. Though, having those books I really don't have an interest for it to be repeated in 5E (that was why I didn't rush out to get Fizban's, though someone was kind enough to get it for me for my birthday).
personally I a big category book, one undead one, one aberration book, giant, fae and so on lets me able to look through books for inspiration.

Stormonu

Legend
personally I a big category book, one undead one, one aberration book, giant, fae and so on lets me able to look through books for inspiration.
Liber Mortis was the 3E undead book (expanding on 2E's Lords of Darkness and the Van Richten's monster hunter series), Lords of Madness covered aberrations (which was compiled from the I, Tyrant and Illithiad and expanded to cover Aboleths and others). They're still relevant for the lore portions - a lot of which made its way (though abbreviated) into the 5E monster entries. 2E's (FR) Giantcraft covered giants, I don't remember it being revised or updated for 3E forward. I don't remember a Fey book - that'd be a good one with all the focus of late on the Feywild, and dragons have had a book since the days of 2E/BECMI (Draconomicon/Book of Giants and Dragons). And there's also the Fiendish Codexes from 3E, which went in-depth into Demons and Devils, respectively. Again, a lot of that lore crept in, in abbreviated form, into the 5E monster entries.

That's why I'm not so interested in the lore books (except maybe one on Fey) - 2E or 3E did a lot of in-depth delving into monster lore, and short of a few stat blocks, it's all still relevant to the game today. I'm sure folks who don't have the old books would probably enjoy reprints/compilations/updated stats, but for me, I've still got those old books and wouldn't put out the money for them - for example, I'll take the 3E Draconomicon over Fizban's any day of the week if it weren't for the 5E Draconian stat blocks.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Liber Mortis was the 3E undead book (expanding on 2E's Lords of Darkness and the Van Richten's monster hunter series), Lords of Madness covered aberrations (which was compiled from the I, Tyrant and Illithiad and expanded to cover Aboleths and others). They're still relevant for the lore portions - a lot of which made its way (though abbreviated) into the 5E monster entries. 2E's (FR) Giantcraft covered giants, I don't remember it being revised or updated for 3E forward. I don't remember a Fey book - that'd be a good one with all the focus of late on the Feywild, and dragons have had a book since the days of 2E/BECMI (Draconomicon/Book of Giants and Dragons). And there's also the Fiendish Codexes from 3E, which went in-depth into Demons and Devils, respectively. Again, a lot of that lore crept in, in abbreviated form, into the 5E monster entries.

That's why I'm not so interested in the lore books (except maybe one on Fey) - 2E or 3E did a lot of in-depth delving into monster lore, and short of a few stat blocks, it's all still relevant to the game today. I'm sure folks who don't have the old books would probably enjoy reprints/compilations/updated stats, but for me, I've still got those old books and wouldn't put out the money for them - for example, I'll take the 3E Draconomicon over Fizban's any day of the week if it weren't for the 5E Draconian stat blocks.
giants badly need an update, and fae book would be good.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I am super-lore heavy as a DM. I use it to feed information on my current campaigns early, and future campaigns that I want to run in the same setting. I don't try to overwhelm my players, though; I like the lore to be found organically by things that the player have done rather than just throw it at them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The current WotC is moving toward removing depictions of certain creatures that are no longer considered socially acceptable. Any historical document should show the whole history, warts and all.
That could be an issue. In a history of the lore off _____, you could present it and discuss current criticisms and debate about it. But not sure that a simple history-of book would have the same mass-market appeal of something just presenting different takes and settings with mechanical crunch to go with it. As someone else mentioned above, a "Worlds of Dungeons and Dragons" type book. But the more I think about it, the less likely I see it happening. Easier to sell a Ravnica, Spelljammer, Swords Coast Adventurer's Guide. Maybe smaller segments of the fan base will be interested in any specific setting guide, but that still might sell better than the Smorgasbord I like to see.

One thing I do like about D&D Beyond, it is kinda can be used in the manner. You can have various setting books all together in one place and easily search and pick and choose what you like. Or just buy the crunchy stuff without buying the whole setting guide. Still, I really would like a lore treatment similar to what Art and Arcana did with D&D Art. It was a lot of fun to see how depictions of various monsters evolved over the years. It would be fun to read about how the written depictions have changed and how different settings reimagined monsters and classes and races. The problem with a historian or third-party publisher doing this is the limits on the use of the art and the amount of content you could quote.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well Art and Arcana was a book on the history of D&D art. So it makes sense. But if they were to try to turn it into a game book with crunch meant for play in current games, I could see them shying away from certain depictions and language.

Remove ads