D&D 5E Lore Mastery Wizard

DOBISARETHECUTEST

Dobermans are awesome!
So I plan on multiclassing a Homebrew sorcerer and a Lore Master Wizard. I asked my DM about it and he said he’s fine with it as long as I can’t change the save. Is the ability to change damage type of one spell per turn worth it? A Fireball that I could customize sounds awesome, but would it still be broken? My DM doesn’t say if an enemy resists a spells damage or is vulnerable unless we do a check. (I want to say it’s an arcana or perception check.)

Dragongrief

Explorer
Changing the damage type generally isn't that powerful if you don't know resistances/vulnerabilities ahead of time.

Is the ability unlimited in both what damage type you can change it to/from, and the number of times you can do it each day?

That would be more concerning. There should be some cost (even if minimal) or restriction on an ability like that to prevent potential abuse.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Changing damage types is rarely a huge damage upgrade, even when you know it's relevant. For most casters it just means you need to change to something like Arcane Missles instead of Scorching Ray when fighting a Fire Giant or so. In that case casting a Force Scorching Ray over a lvl 2 arcane missles is hardly a huge upgrade.

It's being able to change saving throws (and later on the wide selection of spells) that make the Lore Wizard broken. When you change spells to target charisma nothing you cast will ever get resisted again, pretty much.

Its probably worth pointing out that in one of the latest Unearthed Arcana, there is a metamagic that allows sorcerors to change the elemental damage of a spell. Just in case that was the main reason that you wanted to go Loremaster wizard.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Its probably worth pointing out that in one of the latest Unearthed Arcana, there is a metamagic that allows sorcerors to change the elemental damage of a spell. Just in case that was the main reason that you wanted to go Loremaster wizard.

Good point, I quite liked that implementation. It's also much more likely to get printed since the Lore Wizard itself hasn't been revisited since it's release years ago and is dead in the water. The fact that some of it's subclass mechanics (like changing elemental types) are being used in new UA releases only confirms this.

Remove ads