lorraine williams (includes opinions from Gygax et al)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Melan said:
Also, we should not forget that when TSR allowed fan material on a carefully controlled site (named MPGENet, maybe?), they required creators to abide by a code of ethics - an uniquely stupid and restrictive license which would have excluded almost all serious works of fantasy, legends, folk tales or classical mythology from acceptance.
You can read the whole shameful nonsense here.

I actually liked TSR's Code of Ethics. It was and is a big draw to earlier editions for me. Hmmm, tastes and all.

As for Ms. Williams. Hmmm Yaa, well lets just say she's on my top ten list of people I've never met but know I don't like.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Everything I’ve read indicates she was simply a bad manager who got a hold of the company mostly by chance. The antipathy people feel towards her is just in reaction to sensitivity over the hobby. A bit like Ken Lay, only with fewer people hurt.

I still wonder where she is now.

Robbastard

First Post
Umbran said:

Welcome to the boards, Robbastard. We have a "no politics, no religion" rule around here. We ask you to abide by it, and such critique of Mother Teresa is over the line.

If you need to review, the rules are available in the FAQ

Sorry you took it personally, but if you'll note, I'm not the one who brought her up in the first place.

kenobi65

First Post
TerraDave said:
Buck Rogers: an example of the above. Williams was somehow connected to the property

To say the least. The Buck Rogers property was (and still is) owned by the Dille Family Trust. My understanding is that Lorraine is a member of that family. (If you look at the Buck Rogers entry on Wikipedia, Lorraine is referred to as "Lorraine Dille".)

TerraDave said:
There is no way they made money on it.

If "they" = TSR, undoubtedly not. One suspects that the Dille family made a few bucks, however.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Robbastard said:
Sorry you took it personally, but if you'll note, I'm not the one who brought her up in the first place.

Dude, he's one of the moderators of this forum. He's just trying to keep order for all our benefit. You might want to take any private little comments or complaints like this to email.

Robbastard

First Post
kenobi65 said:
To say the least. The Buck Rogers property was (and still is) owned by the Dille Family Trust. My understanding is that Lorraine is a member of that family. (If you look at the Buck Rogers entry on Wikipedia, Lorraine is referred to as "Lorraine Dille".)

According to http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about3485-20.html, she's the granddaughter of John Flint Dille, co-creator of Buck Rogers.

Here's the full post:

This is from the "Buck Rogers-The First 60 Years in the 25th Century" book that was published by TSR in 1988.

"Lorraine Dille Williams-
Lorraine Dille Williams's association with Buck Rogers is rich in heritage. Her grandfather, John Flint Dille, was founder of the National Newspaper Syndicate of America and co-creator of the comic strip Buck Rogers in the 25th Century with Dick Calkins and Phil Nowlan. Her father, Robert Crabtree Dille, was president of the National Newspaper Syndicate. In every way, she grew up with Buck.

After receiving a B.A. degree in History from the University of California at Berkeley, she worked at the National Newspaper Synicate, as an assistant administrator at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, and held various administrative positions with the National Easter Seal Society. She joined the TSR staff as executive vice president, administration, in 1985 and became TSR's president and chief executive officer in that same year.

In addition to her other duties, she has taken up the task left her by her father-"protecting the integrity of Buck and maintaining the vision of John Flint Dille, Dick Calkins, and Phil Nowlan. "

There's also a pic of her on Monte Cook's site: http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mc_los_141

Ulrick

First Post
I think it'd be great if Lorraine Williams heard about this thread, joined ENWorld, and posted her side of the story.

kenobi65

First Post
Ulrick said:
I think it'd be great if Lorraine Williams heard about this thread, joined ENWorld, and posted her side of the story.

It's be interesting, no doubt, though, if the stories about her opinions of gamers are anything close to true, I'd imagine she wouldn't come within a mile of EN World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases