Losing a Dragonmark

Prophet2b

First Post
Is there any way to lose a Dragonmark, in Eberron?

By which I mean... can it be cut off of a person?

I would assume not, just because I would assume that that's what the Dragonmarked Houses would do when they exiled people. However, what happens if someone takes a knife and gouges out a person's arm (or wherever the mark is), thus "removing" it. Is the power attached to the mark, or is the mark simply a symbol manifested by the power itself that shows that the person in question has a Dragonmark power.

Just curious...

exile

First Post
I don't have a canon answer for you, but I would tie the power to the mark. I think there's lots of role-play potential in playing a a character who was previously favored of a house, but for some reason has been exiled, having the mark forcibly cut from her body, leaving her with a nasty scar and lots of enemies.

Corsair

First Post
No, it cannot. This is is mentioned in one of the novels, and I'm fairly certain Hellcow addressed it in one of the Ask Kieth Baker threads. Exiles often have the mark flayed from their skin, but that is more symbolic, as it grows back.

Prophet2b

First Post
Hmm... Okay... I'm just trying to figure out exactly how Dragonmarks work, then. Do they grow back somewhere else on the character's body? Or what?... I'm thinking of a case where... well, maybe the character has a Dragonmark on his hand/arm, and that arm gets cut off. Then what?

It seems weird that it would grow back somewhere else. Granted, I can't exactly say why... but, to me, it just does...

Arkhandus

First Post
No, as I recall, a Dragonmark will just reappear after a bit if cut off, and I think it's abilities remain even while it's momentarily absent. I do not know, however, what would happen if a Dragonmarked individual lost an entire arm or something, though, with their Dragonmark being on that arm.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Prophet2b said:
Hmm... Okay... I'm just trying to figure out exactly how Dragonmarks work, then. Do they grow back somewhere else on the character's body? Or what?... I'm thinking of a case where... well, maybe the character has a Dragonmark on his hand/arm, and that arm gets cut off. Then what?

It seems weird that it would grow back somewhere else. Granted, I can't exactly say why... but, to me, it just does...

Dragonmarks are the expression of the Draconic Prophesy through living creatures. They are tied to race + bloodlines (but not necessarily to families) (which is why a half elf cannot have the Mark of Handling). The only known way to destroy a dragonmark is to kill the person with said dragonmark. Even reincarnation allows the creature to keep their dragonmark (IIRC from something Hellcow said).

DC

shilsen

Adventurer
Arkhandus said:
No, as I recall, a Dragonmark will just reappear after a bit if cut off, and I think it's abilities remain even while it's momentarily absent. I do not know, however, what would happen if a Dragonmarked individual lost an entire arm or something, though, with their Dragonmark being on that arm.
IIRC, the dragonmark will just reappear on another part of the person's body. Similarly, a person with a dragonmark who dies and is brought back in a new body via a spell (Reincarnate, for example) has the dragonmark appear on the new body as well.

Klaus

First Post
The only way to remove a Dragonmark permanently is to prevent the subject from qualifying for it. For instance:

- Energy Drain the character until he no longer has the feats to acquire the Dragonmarks (dangerous, if the character used his 1st level feat on Least Dragonmark). This works especially well against Dragonmarked Heirs and Heirs of Syberys.
- Reincarnate, Polymorph or otherwise permanently change the race of the character. A human reincarnated as a goblin may even have a mark that looks similar to a dragonmark, but it'll be inert.

Vorput

First Post
shilsen said:
IIRC, the dragonmark will just reappear on another part of the person's body. Similarly, a person with a dragonmark who dies and is brought back in a new body via a spell (Reincarnate, for example) has the dragonmark appear on the new body as well.

I vaguely recall reading this somewhere as well... but where?

Vorput

First Post
Klaus said:
- Reincarnate, Polymorph or otherwise permanently change the race of the character. A human reincarnated as a goblin may even have a mark that looks similar to a dragonmark, but it'll be inert.

Not true IIRC (don't ask me where, see above post). I remember reincarnate being given as a specific example- and it says the dragonmark still works, its just incapable of being passed down in the bloodline anymore.

Remove ads