Losing a Dragonmark

Meloncov

First Post
Excoriation literally means to remove the skin; in the past the dragonmarked houses would remove the dragonmark, which was often fatal, especially for Sybers heirs (this practice has fallen out of favor/deemed illegal). However, this only removes the physical mark, not the power.

Merkuri

Explorer
Prophet2b said:
I'm thinking of a case where... well, maybe the character has a Dragonmark on his hand/arm, and that arm gets cut off.

I would probably rule that the dragonmark would reappear on the stump of whatever was chopped off.

Vorput said:
Not true IIRC (don't ask me where, see above post). I remember reincarnate being given as a specific example- and it says the dragonmark still works, its just incapable of being passed down in the bloodline anymore.

This is specifically stated in DragonMarked, Page 7 under "Marked by Blood". A Reincarnated Goblin would retain the Dragon Mark and its abilities.

Triumakal

First Post
Follow Up Question:

What happens to the remaining mark on the piece that is removed from the dragonmarked individual? Does it linger on the body part, or fade away or what?

Thanks,

-A curious bystander

That's some real necro. Speaking of which...

According to one novel, it would remain. Vol's skin lies in Illmarrow castle, with an "intact" dragonmark. Certain characters in the novel were going to compare a woman's dragonmark with Vol's, as they thought she might also have the mark of death. (She wasn't an elf, so I don't see how that was possible, but...)

Remove ads