D&D General Lost Gygax lore on Learth-Oerth continuum and Oerth pronuncation

For the record, I emailed Gary Gygax once. It was around the early 2000s, at the start of 3.0E.

I told Gary I was planning on running a mega-campaign that tied in all of the TSR worlds, including his Oerth-Yarth-Uerth-Aerth-Earth continuum. (Unfortunately, it still hasn't happened yet!)
My two questions were:
1) How does he pronounce the name "Oerth"? I offered two guesses: "Orth" or "Oh-erth."
2) Does he consider the world of Lejendary Earth to be part of that continuum?

I appreciate how responsive he was. He expressed encouragement for my campaign. He took time to write a pithy email.

His answers:
1) "Oyrth"
2) He affirmed that "Learth" was, in his mind, part of that "Alternate Oerth" continuum. Since I was not super familiar with the Lejendary Adventure materials, I was surprised and pleased he gave it an "Earth" style name: "Learth." I hadn't heard that name before.

That is my recollection. I lost that Yahoomail account long ago.

-Travis

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For the record, I emailed Gary Gygax once. It was around the early 2000s, at the start of 3.0E.

I told Gary I was planning on running a mega-campaign that tied in all of the TSR worlds, including his Oerth-Yarth-Uerth-Aerth-Earth continuum. (Unfortunately, it still hasn't happened yet!)
My two questions were:
1) How does he pronounce the name "Oerth"? I offered two guesses: "Orth" or "Oh-erth."
2) Does he consider the world of Lejendary Earth to be part of that continuum?

I appreciate how responsive he was. He expressed encouragement for my campaign. He took time to write a pithy email.

His answers:
1) "Oyrth"
2) He affirmed that "Learth" was, in his mind, part of that "Alternate Oerth" continuum. Since I was not super familiar with the Lejendary Adventure materials, I was surprised and pleased he gave it an "Earth" style name: "Learth." I hadn't heard that name before.

That is my recollection. I lost that Yahoomail account long ago.

-Travis
He said it was “Earth” with a really thick New York accent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases