DDAL Lost Tales of Myth Drannor: DDAL's "Secret" D&D Book For Gen Con 50

Lost Tales of Myth Drannor is an official D&D Adventurers League book containing six adventures for characters of levels 1-20. It is billed as a promo for Gen Con's 50th anniversary, although it will eventually appear on the DMs Guild -- from DDAL's Greg Marks: "It is a book that is a promo for GC50 and cons the admins are invited to. It will eventually appear on the DMsGuild."

Greg also added that "When initially released some are being distributed by BMG at Gen Con (I can't speak to how) and some by admins as promos" and that its appearance on DMsGuild would be "some months later.... PDF and possibly POD".

He added later that "I can't speak to what the BMG folks will be doing with their allotment, but the admins that are there will have some as well (myself, Claire and Alan are attending). The first print run of Super Secret Project 76 (not its real name) will be used by the admins as a promo item that we hand out at cons we go to (an actual book is a pretty awesome promo!). It will eventually go up on the DMsGuild as well, though not immediately. I will continue to tease more info on my twitter (@Skerrit7h3green) up until it is released on August 17th."

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 15.39.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 15.40.17.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 15.41.58.png

DHRafquWsAEbRCZ.jpg

And there's a LOT of them sitting in boxes at Gen Con this week!

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 15.42.29.png

But don’t take it out on your *actual* customers/fans. It’s not their fault.

I wouldn't call it taking it out on actual customers/fans. The admins donated the money to create the product. Our plan is that if we earn it back, we'll instead use it to potentially do another. If we don't break even, then we won't.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't call it taking it out on actual customers/fans. The admins donated the money to create the product. Our plan is that if we earn it back, we'll instead use it to potentially do another. If we don't break even, then we won't.

Well, we all donate our money to create our products. Hopefully we always make our money back. Sometimes we make a profit. Sometimes we lose money (hopefully not too often). I guarantee your book will make a profit. Hell, evergreen PoD and PDF books continue among money for years. It’ll be OK, I promise.

Seriously, I get that it’s heartbreaking when your work is pirated. Believe me, I get it. But if you’re going to make products, it’s a thing you need to develop a thick skin about, because *all* creative work gets pirated. Otherwise you’ll go insane. It sucks, but it’s the world we live in.

I sympathise. You put your heart into these things. I know I do. All I can offer is this advice - don’t let it get to you. Just carry on doing the best you can.

To be clear, I've been a creative in this industry for 20 years, so I do have a thick skin about it. There is no book or product I've written that you can't just google and download illegally in seconds. I'm just saying this particular product is not backed by any company and there is very little margin of error since its all done by the money of the creatives involved. So anyone pirating or encouraging pirating (of which AL is a relatively small community compared to the rest of the gaming world so I has hoped ENWorld might help reach) is helping prevent (or at the very least significantly delay) a second similar product.

I'd say its less that I am unhappy about it, and more that I want AL fans to be aware of the consequences of their choices.

akr71

Hero
I will be paying for this product, thank you and please continue.

Don't lose faith....

I keep checking DMs Guild in the hope that is available. I will be purchasing it as soon as I can. I'm planning a sandbox campaign in that general region and I imagine that it will be invaluable as well as take a huge load of the prep time off me.

I firmly believe that the vast majority of people want to pay creators for their time and effort.

CatholicFan

First Post
Well, put me down as a person still waiting for the POD and pdf legally. I missed out despite being at GenCon, but that's okay. If you guys end up never putting it on DMsGuild, I guess I can go for one of the handful of secondhand ones, but man, that would suck to have to pony up several hundred for one.

Just out of curiosity, is there going to be any differences between the POD version and the one that people are currently selling, or will they be indistinguishable? Personally, I vote for the latter, but y'know, I don't want to have to track down a "collection" copy. :D

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I have noticed 3 of the books were sold by the same person from Canada on eBay....lucky guy at the Cons I guess!

the thing that gets me is people complain about rpg book prices but they'll spend crazy amounts more on an rpg book that was handed out for free.

shows there is a market for expensive books but they need to be limited in number

darjr

I crit!
No it doesn’t. It shows you that there are folks who want cheaper books no matter what and people who will pay a lot for what they want. They are not necessarily the same people or even mostly the same group of people other than folks who want rpg books.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases