LOTR Details...

kengar

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I believe the rights to the Hobbit still reside with the Tolkien estate and I don't think they will ever let New Line make the Hobbit as long as Christopher is in charge. They will also never let New Line make a museum with all their props and stuff.

Actually, if you take a look here, you can see that the Hobbit was part of the same package as LOTR that JRRT sold back in the 60's.

Also, JRRT died several years before any of the animated versions came out. (Though he may have had to suffer through Leonard Nimoy's "Bilbo" song ;) )

Shadowdancer

First Post
kengar said:
Actually, if you take a look here, you can see that the Hobbit was part of the same package as LOTR that JRRT sold back in the 60's.
Hmmm. If Zantz owns the rights to The Hobbit, I wonder what the holdup is. All the news stories I've been reading lately about a possible Hobbit film say Christopher Tolkien is the holdup. But if he doesn't control the rights, he has no real say-so in the matter.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Shadowdancer said:
Hmmm. If Zantz owns the rights to The Hobbit, I wonder what the holdup is. All the news stories I've been reading lately about a possible Hobbit film say Christopher Tolkien is the holdup. But if he doesn't control the rights, he has no real say-so in the matter.

The way I heard it, New Line has the rights to MAKE "The Hobbit" but another company (probably the one that did the animated Hobbit way back when) has the rights to DISTRIBUTE "The Hobbit" and Christopher Tolkein has NO RIGHTS with respect to stopping the filming or distributing of "The Hobbit". Since it does not make a profit if you make a movie but can't distribute it, things are in negotiation.

So it really is just a matter of the two companies that own the separate rights negotiating who gets how much of the cashola. I mean, unlike C.Tolkein, the other company probably wants money and would make a deal with New Line, but they might want more money than New Line wants to give them. But that can be sorted out eventually.

But I could be wrong. :)

kengar

First Post
Particle_Man said:
The way I heard it, New Line has the rights to MAKE "The Hobbit" but another company (probably the one that did the animated Hobbit way back when) has the rights to DISTRIBUTE "The Hobbit" and Christopher Tolkein has NO RIGHTS with respect to stopping the filming or distributing of "The Hobbit". Since it does not make a profit if you make a movie but can't distribute it, things are in negotiation.

So it really is just a matter of the two companies that own the separate rights negotiating who gets how much of the cashola. I mean, unlike C.Tolkein, the other company probably wants money and would make a deal with New Line, but they might want more money than New Line wants to give them. But that can be sorted out eventually.

But I could be wrong. :)

That's what I heard too, PM :) It's just Hollywood negotiations over how much of the pie each party is going to see.

Last edited:

Remove ads