• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LOTR] Idiocy or satire? You decide.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Definately satire, and a hilarious one at that.

Elves with glands on their backs that secrete arrows? Wonder how that would work in a campaign. :D

Sanackranib

First Post
what a moron

that review REALLY sucked. as satire it was worthless because if you have read the books or even seen the animated films then you wouldn't even say half that crap. what a waiste of time to read!

Crothian

First Post
Jeph said:

You're kidding, right? Loosen up. I'll admit, it wasn't side-splitting, but it had it's high points. :)

Not kidding. It wasn't funny, it wasn't clever. Some of the points could have been funny, but the writer failed in delivery.

And how can you call someone who's been gnomed to loosen up? I'm not even one of the LotR fanatic we have on the boards, I'm a casual fan. But this was just not funny.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think that it was not apparent what it was a satire OF - but it was clearly a satire of the few professional critics of the first movie who JUST DIDN'T GET IT. I read the reviews - and some critics actually had some of these as complaints about the movies!

I think the author here was spoofing these critics in the same way that the "Protest Return of the King" site was spoofing the "Protest The Two Towers" site. It's just not apparent if you've never run into those truly oddball reviews of movie critics who criticized Tolkien's books as being "unoriginal."

P.S. - Thanks for the link - I loved it!

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
It's quite funny, I feel. And, it's satire; look at the other things on the site.

<i># Magic Mechanics.

Experts on the occult say in order for a wizard to floorspin a fully-grown man like Gandalf, he'd need three magical staffs, not two. </i>

Hee. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads