LotR Risk Boardgame

Azlan

First Post
Has anyone here gotten the new Lord of the Rings version of the classic boardgame, Risk?

If so, how is it different (other than the obvious, as depicted on the back of the game box) from classic Risk?

I have Risk 2210 AD, which is a futuristic version of classic Risk that came out about a year ago. I found Risk 2210 AD to be quite different from classic Risk; not only in dramatic changes to the gameboard and other game components, but in substantial changes to the rules.

Last edited:

i'd like to know as well. my wife's thinking about buying this as a christmas present to her little brother who we "turned on" to DnD.

hehe, love the terminology....

anyway, if anyone knows, i'd also appreciate a response.

joe b.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Righty. I haven't played this but I have done some research and come up with the following:

After 13 turns the game ends after Frodo tosses the ring into the volcano.
Each turn Frodo moves one space from Shire and so on.
The map is of Middle Earth (no surprise there) and the lands are seperated by mountains as opposed to regular Risk's continents being seperated by oceans.
There are four players. Two good guys (green and yellow) and two bad guys (red and black).
The good guys use elven archers (1), eagles (5) and riders of Rohan (10).
The bad guys use orcs (1), shelobs (5) and ringwraiths? (10).
Each player has a character who can complete quests to gain advantages.
Quests cards are won by conquering lands (Like those army cards you get in regular Risk).
Some areas are easier to defend. (I'm guessing like Helm's Deep ).

That's about what I know. It looks pretty nice but the box was smaller than I had expected. (I held it in my hand.)

Reviewers say that it's better than regular Risk. I'm buying it when my next paycheck comes in.

Zenon

First Post
I picked it up over the weekend, but sadly haven't had a chance to play it yet (but I gave the rules a quick read through).

Some additional comments to Frostmarrows coverage:

Game length varies. There are several spots along the Ring's journey (2 or 3) that require a check to see if the Ring moves that turn or not. I believe you must roll a 3 or better on a 6 sided die to move the Ring. (Think of the Ring like a turn marker). I think I counted a minimum of 13 turns, more if there are delays in the Ring's movement.

[edit] - actually, I think I remember reading that the Ring moves after each player goes, not moves once after everyone goes.

Winning is based on points when the Ring leaves the map (into Mordor). Amount of countries controlled, cards played, quests completed all count for points.

Strongholds are labeled on the map. They add a +1 to the highest defensive die.

The map is smaller than the standard Risk board, but nicely done. Movement is restricted, you cannot cross mountain ranges except at breaks, and cannot cross rivers except at bridges.

Leaders (non-specific) add a +1 to the highest attacking die, and a +1 to the highest defensive die.

This actually looks like it would be pretty good for 2 players, something standard Risk isn't that great for.

I haven't opened up the card pack to look at them yet.

Last edited:

Not to hijack too badly, but does anyone remember the Hobbit game from 5 or more years back. It had colored rings and cards like torch, food, sword, ect. I can't remember thae name and I'd like to track it down.

Tsyr

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
Righty. I haven't played this but I have done some research and come up with the following:

After 13 turns the game ends after Frodo tosses the ring into the volcano.
Each turn Frodo moves one space from Shire and so on.

Not exactly. The ring moves from territory to territory, but it can be delayed... certain key spots (Moria, for example), require a roll to see if the ring leaves that turn... if not, a roll next turn, etc, untill it does leave. Likewise, there are a number of cards that you can play to effect the ring further... for example, playing the Balrog card while the ring is in Moria will cause it to stay there another turn.

Kamard

First Post
That Hobbit game from 5 or so years back was named, unsurprisingly, The Hobbit. It came in a green box. That was a fun game.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I actually played it this last weekend.

The pieces are very nice. The cards are beautiful. There are different kinds of cards, and all who played agreed this really added a lot to the game.

While it is great that the game ends in 13 - 17 turns (the ring can be delayed) so you don't have to play for 12 hours until someone passes out to win, there is a disadvantage. Since you get points for each territory you own, we all spent the last 3-4 turns trying to take as much land as possible.

Beware rivers! You can't cross them without a bridge, meaning there are territories that look accessible from one land to another, but aren't. This cost two players many, many armies.

I'd buy this game again in a minute.

Has anyone heard if they will be adding an expansion board? Only 1/2-2/3 of Middle Earth is shown, it would be great if they added a wrap around board as an expansion, and more cards. If anyone has questions, I check the boards pretty much daily, I'll look for this thread, but I'm going to bed soon, so no answers tonight.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
No, but it can be delayed by dice rolls, and there is at least one card that allows you to delay it, but the Ring WILL exit the board.

Remove ads