LotR Risk Boardgame

Kaiyosama

First Post
Diplomacy is one of the best games ever (and this is my first time playing)! Pure strategy, no luck! It is also really easy to get a game going if you can find people to play. Just download the the map and rules, buy some pushpins steal some space on a bulletin board and set up a long term game (two turns a week or so) at the office or school, etc. it might take the whole year and scare you as much as CoC at times, but it is so worth it! and imho it is best with all seven people.

I have never heard of Diplomacy. Who makes it?

same people who make A&A, but you can effectivly get it free online for pbm, pbp, pbem, etc

Oh, and Turkey rocks. IMHO, anyways

tell that to the yellow bellied cowards i proceed to crush...
as austria. they need the moral support:D

How much is this baby and is it still available
this i would like to know as well

dagger

Adventurer
I just picked it up (FINALLY!) at Toys R Us for 19.99 (US) plus tax. I couldnt find it anywhere else in Austin (even the main local hobby shop), it is selling pretty well.

dagger

Adventurer
We played our first game over the weekend with four players. We played as teams, with the two good players against the two evil players. We weren't sure if you were supposed to play good vs or evil or every man for themselves. It was still pretty fun though.

I am still not sure after reading the rules if its team based or standard RISK like with every man for themselves. It just didnt seem right to us with elves fighting the humans...

Iron_Chef

First Post
LOTR Risk was good, but Avalon Hill's "Risk 2210 A.D" is fantastic! Now you get 5 different commanders (land, naval, space, nuclear, diplomat--each with different strengths and weaknesses) for your giant robot armies, space station command centers, 5 decks of cards, money, nuclear bombs, battles on the moon and in the sea, and all kinds of fun stuff (like bidding to go first). The game ends after 5 turns so it doesn't drag on like classic Risk. Old strategies don't work (such as stockpile defense). It's an incredible, amazing and diabolically fun strategy game that's easy enough to learn for newbies though still complex enough to satisfy most diehard gamers. A perfect game, well worth the price. Even better than Axis & Allies or Samurai Swords (Shogun). A different game every time, because 4 random territories start out nuked and are impassable to everyone. There are also more ways into each continent, lunar and water colonies and you can take over the moon!!! And there are dozens of different cards in each deck you can buy (land, naval, space, diplomacy, nuclear), so no one is ever sure how powerful an enemy is. They could have all kinds of nasty surprises waiting to spring on an unsuspecting invader... :D

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Played for the third time. I actually wiped the board clean in the second game, but we think that a rules mis-interpretation allowed that, so we house ruled some things different in game three.

Once again, though, I was less than thrilled with the end. It was very even in terms of points in cards, so we all tried to capture maximum territory, which just seems anti-climatic. We also house-ruled that if the ring is on a territory you own at the beginning of your turn, you get an extra army there. This led to more strategic reasons to attempt to delay the ring, and also made control of middle territories (which are so hard to defend) more worth the effort.

Again, I'd buy this in a minute again. Warning if you are in Minneapolis, it's been sold out in most of the stores, I actually had to go to the really bad WOTC store at the Mall of America to buy my friend the last copy in the Twin Cities.

TommyTutone

First Post
Based on what I've read on the Spielfreaks Yahoo Group (lovers of German-type strategy games), I offer the following caveats to both new Risk games:

Risk 2210 - I have heard good things about this, though many have mentioned that the limited turns basically gives the last player a HUGE advantage. This is due to them being able to go 'all out' in an attempt to wipe the board clean. As such, without a change in the rules, the game is somewhat broken.

LotR Risk - The issues of the above game are fixed since the game ends at an indeterminite time. However a new problem is introduced since some players will have more turns than others. This too is a huge advantage in a game like Risk (one more turn of gaining reinforcements, cards, and territories through attacking). A suggested remedy for it is to take your final score and divide it by the number of turns you had. The player with the higest result is then the winner (a player with 25 points, but only had 5 turns will win over a player with 29 points, but had 6 turns).

If you have not played it, I would recommend Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings for a game that captures the theme of the books. It is cooperative (unless you buy the second expansion) and as such, can have its difficulty adjusted.

If you are looking for a good Risk-like war game, I would recommend Wallenstein. Not my favorite game out there, but it is very Risk-like and has a COOL combat system (you take both armies fighting, and drop them into a tower, whoever has the most pieces that make it out of the tower wins).

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
GOOD HEAVENS!

I have played RISK. I KNOW how big RISK Armies become. (I attack Southern Europe with 100 Armies, then Scandinavia with 98 Armies, then Greenland with 96 Armies, then Quebec with 94 Armies, then Eastern United States with 92 Armies, then Mexico with 90 Armies, then Brazil with 88 Armies, then ...)

So, if 5s are Shelobs, then with a stack of 100 Armies, I have TWENTY Shelobs running around!

(considers that)

If Sauron has 20 Shelobs running around under his direct control, may the Valar help us all.

Uh, excuse me ... since when are the Riders of Rohan with more than Elven Archers?
I think Fingolfin and his allies would take issue with the designers. After all, he stood up to Morgoth for over 400 years, whereas Rohan would not have lasted for over 400 minutes.

BlackMoria said:
There will be an expansion out in 2003. It will allow two more armies to the game and will feature Gondor, Mordor and Harad.

Stores just got this game back in stock & I picked it up. Pretty Sweet! But now I REALLY want the expansion.

Can anyone confirm BlackMoria's claim that this will be coming? A couple pages of googling revealed nothing about an expansion...

Thanx,

BFG

Remove ads