• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Louis Porter Jr. Design Has a New Pathfinder Shirt Idea

cyderak

Banned
Banned
I agree with Ironwolf. This is wayyyyy too much hub-bub for something as trivial as a T-shirt. And with all the edition wars going on, Nobody saw this coming??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why is it everyone has no problem with "Nerd" T-shirts but a butt-ton of concern for a shirt that draws edition lines in the sand???? Spend your time getting rid of the stereo-types that matter and stop giving attention to people who want to perpetuate nonsense.

In my opinion there is no need for edition wars. If you like Pathfinder, in 95% of the cases, you probably won't play 4E. And vice-versa.

And if you don't play 4E that most likely means you probably don't like 4E. Same goes for Pathfinder.

So why is it so unacceptable to express the dislike for one or the other??

Speaking of T-shirts...........Does anyone know where i can get that "I'm With Flanker ====> " T-shirt.......I still laugh my fool a$$ off. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
In my opinion there is no need for edition wars. If you like Pathfinder, in 95% of the cases, you probably won't play 4E. And vice-versa.

And if you don't play 4E that most likely means you probably don't like 4E. Same goes for Pathfinder.

So why is it so unacceptable to express the dislike for one or the other??

Bias test: If WotC produced and sold a t-shirt labeled "I'M KILLING PATHFINDER RPG By Playing Dungeons & Dragons 4e", what would your reaction be to this news?

If that reaction is anything other than "This is wayyyyy too much hub-bub for something as trivial as a T-shirt," then you are not being even-handed.

This has nothing to do with the t-shirt and everything to do with the fact that a Pathfinder RPG publisher is actively and purposefully inflaming the edition wars.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This has nothing to do with the t-shirt and everything to do with the fact that a Pathfinder RPG publisher is actively and purposefully inflaming the edition wars.

Except, as I posted previously, he's not inflaming edition wars. He's mocking the edition wars by parodying another joke T-shirt. Even if some people don't understand the joke, their misinterpretation doesn't change his intention.

People who do know what the joke is, and yet continue to claim that it inflames the edition wars, should know better.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
:erm: Really? :uhoh:

lpj.jpg

B-)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
This is, in my opinion, an unacceptable message to hear with anything resembling a straight face from an RPG publisher. If WotC had even joked about putting out "I'M KILLING PATHFINDER RPG By playing Dungeons & Dragons 4e" on a t-shirt, they would be crucified. LPJ is an RPG publisher hitched to Pathfinder RPG. Is there any reason he shouldn't receive similar treatment?

You're giving him that treatment right here. You're doing exactly what WotC critics would be doing - criticizing it. Controversy-you're-trying-to-gin-up resolved.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for using a side issue to bash at WotC critics. We needed more edition warring.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Humor, when understood can make for a great promotional tool, but I don't think LPJ is funny, his inferences are obscure, so trying to do comic relief and not being a funny guy just leads to failure. I never heard the webcomics joke to get the inference, so the message is just grating.

I hope LPJ finds some other method to promote his company, because he isn't doing a very good job.

YMMV

GP

Dannager

First Post
Except, as I posted previously, he's not inflaming edition wars. He's mocking the edition wars by parodying another joke T-shirt. Even if some people don't understand the joke, their misinterpretation doesn't change his intention.

LPJ posted the design - referencing another obscure design that few people were aware of in the first place - with no context and no explanation. It's impossible to discern the meaning of the joke without being aware of what it's parodying, but LPJ made no attempt to share that with his audience.

What do you think his intentions were?

I think he was actively trying to stir up edition war fervor, and he succeeded (as evidenced by the other blog post I linked to above).

Talking about this issue here isn't edition warring. This has nothing to do with specific games and everything to do with a poor move by an industry publisher. What is edition warring is the reactions seen elsewhere based on a lack of understanding of the parody underneath. LPJ has to have known that reaction would take place.

Dannager

First Post
You're giving him that treatment right here. You're doing exactly what WotC critics would be doing - criticizing it. Controversy-you're-trying-to-gin-up resolved.

Yes. That was my whole point. WotC should be taken to task if they did something similar, and so should LPJ for this stunt. I don't think you really understood what I was saying, there.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for using a side issue to bash at WotC critics. We needed more edition warring.

What bashing of WotC critics? I "bashed" LPJ, but not because he's a WotC critic. He's deserving of criticism for putting out the message that it's okay to wish ill on someone else's game of choice, even if his supposed intention was parody. Parody doesn't work if you're parodying something most of your audience is unfamiliar with.

The fact that you came in here and chose to find fault with my behavior rather than LPJ's, however, speaks volumes.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
LPJ posted the design - referencing another obscure design that few people were aware of in the first place - with no context and no explanation. It's impossible to discern the meaning of the joke without being aware of what it's parodying, but LPJ made no attempt to share that with his audience.

Most parody jokes don't have context or explanation - that's part of what makes them a parody; it assumes that the audience is familiar with the source material.

Was his assumption incorrect here? For a lot of people, yes. But given that we do now know that it was parodying something else, we're in on the joke. We know that this message isn't meant to be read literally, but is in reference to another t-shirt message with a message that is hyperbole, meaning that this message is hyperbole.

What do you think his intentions were?

I think my previous post covered that pretty well.

I think he was actively trying to stir up edition war fervor, and he succeeded (as evidenced by the other blog post I linked to above).

Well, you can think that if you want, but I find the parody explanation to be more likely, since otherwise it's just a coincidence that his message happens to exactly ape a similar design.

Talking about this issue here isn't edition warring. This has nothing to do with specific games and everything to do with a poor move by an industry publisher. What is edition warring is the reactions seen elsewhere based on a lack of understanding of the parody underneath. LPJ has to have known that reaction would take place.

You say that talking about the issue isn't edition warring...and then say that the people's reactions are edition warring.

The fact that a lot of people didn't get the joke is lamentable, and I wouldn't say that the material he referenced isn't obscure, but once people were told what the reference was, that really should be the end of it. Saying "oh no, I get the joke, but it's still a despicable attack!" is real edition warring.

It was a joke. Obscure or not, it was meant to be humorous, not partisan. Laugh or don't laugh, but don't assign it a message it doesn't actually have.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
What bashing of WotC critics? I "bashed" LPJ, but not because he's a WotC critic. He's deserving of criticism for putting out the message that it's okay to wish ill on someone else's game of choice, even if his supposed intention was parody. Parody doesn't work if you're parodying something most of your audience is unfamiliar with.

The fact that you came in here and chose to find fault with my behavior rather than LPJ's, however, speaks volumes.

Right. Because pointing out that WotC would be crucified for doing something similar and your little post on a bias test shouldn't give anybody the impression that you're looking to stir the pot against WotC critics who dismiss LPJr's t-shirt.

I've seen you defending WotC's marketing against critics, implying that the slights we saw aimed at our game (3x at the time) were just attempts at humor and we should lighten up. After all, you found them funny. Why is this different? Have you actually come around to the critic viewpoint or is it because the shoe's on the other foot and your edition of choice is now the target?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads