• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Louis Porter Jr. Design Has a New Pathfinder Shirt Idea

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Bias test: If WotC produced and sold a t-shirt labeled "I'M KILLING PATHFINDER RPG By Playing Dungeons & Dragons 4e", what would your reaction be to this news?

If that reaction is anything other than "This is wayyyyy too much hub-bub for something as trivial as a T-shirt," then you are not being even-handed.

This has nothing to do with the t-shirt and everything to do with the fact that a Pathfinder RPG publisher is actively and purposefully inflaming the edition wars.

If they did put out a "Pathfinder-Killer" T-shirt I'd be mildly annoyed but I'm pretty sure I'd find the strength to carry on.

You really really need to let this go.......Its a T-shirt for craps sake......

Otherwise you can name your first Hemorrhoid, Ulcer, or Heart Attack.......Louis Porter Jr.

Last edited:

sheadunne

Explorer
Paizo did not put out the T-shirt. So any reference to WOTC putting out a similar T-shirt is comparing two dissimilar things. You want to use an example that compares one 3pp to another 3pp of two separate games. I'm not that familiar with 3pp 4e publishers, but use one of those as an example instead of WOTC.

Neither WOTC nor Paizo would put out a similar product to this one.

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
LPJ appears guilty of the same crime I often find I've committed - not being funny.

I can see where he thought this (including the reference to the 'webcomics killing newspapers') was hilarious. Because it's stupid. You don't - can't - kill WotC by playing Pathfinder. The two have little-to-nothing to do with each other; the shirt is an ironic slap-in-the-face to those who think they do.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm in no way surprised nobody got it. Heck, I didn't get it, until someone pointed out the exactly-the-same-joke Webcomics shirt.

So, yeah. LPJ isn't funny. IMHO, he's a little bit too clever to be funny (and trying to hard); like I used to, he makes jokes that require three lateral leaps in logic and one obscure reference; if you get all of them, they're hilarious; if you don't, everyone looks at you like you're crazy and the conversation continues without you, and your friends sit around later and talk about what a socially inept baboon you are.

The answer to this is for him to continue to be unfunny*, until he either finds people who do find him funny, and then hang out with them, or until he learns what most people find funny, and does that, instead.

It's not dissimilar, really, to some people laughing during Spinal Tap, some people laughing along with Sasha Barat Cohen, some people enjoying the very few jokes hidden in and about Wikipedia, and some people laughing during America's Funniest Home Videos. To the right group of people, the shirt is hilarious, and inoffensive. To the wrong group of people, it's nothing but videos of people getting hit in the groin.

Wait, I might have mixed that metaphor...

* - Yes, this could bode poorly for his business.

pawsplay

Hero
I am not familiar with the original reference and I immediately understood the joke. The joke is the supposed Pathfinder v. 4e war. If your immediate response was to be offended and angry, then you are providing the punchline for the intended audience of the joke. I would speculate that the rationale for the joke is attacking the notion that someone should for some reason feel sorry they prefer Pathfinder.

It's a form of humor known as irony. I'm not saying it's hilarious, but it's quite clearly a joke, and it doesn't seem to be attacking anyone, except hypothetically WotC employees who actually feel threatened by Pathfinder generally and LPJ's third party products specifically. For those 1d3-2 people it would probably count as a joke in poor taste. A little too ironic.

pawsplay

Hero
Paizo did not put out the T-shirt. So any reference to WOTC putting out a similar T-shirt is comparing two dissimilar things. You want to use an example that compares one 3pp to another 3pp of two separate games. I'm not that familiar with 3pp 4e publishers, but use one of those as an example instead of WOTC.

Neither WOTC nor Paizo would put out a similar product to this one.

Yeah, if some third party publisher put out a shirt that said, "All your Pathfinder are belong to us! 4e 4ever!" and the two people wearing these shirts passed in the hall at a con, I sort of imagine the two guys would give each other a high-five or something.

pawsplay

Hero
The answer to this is for him to continue to be unfunny*, until he either finds people who do find him funny, and then hang out with them, or until he learns what most people find funny, and does that, instead.

He could simply continue torturing people until their sanity cracks, causing him to become funny. It's been known to work.

... not that I have any personal experience with that or anything.

BryonD

Hero
Bias test: If WotC produced and sold a t-shirt labeled "I'M KILLING PATHFINDER RPG By Playing Dungeons & Dragons 4e", what would your reaction be to this news?
Personally, I think it would be vastly less than my reaction was when they put "you can't use the OGL anymore" in a version of the GSL.

Bias test: what was your reaction to that?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well reguardless of the source of the original joke or the intended audiance, i was called on the carpet by a mod not too long ago for a similar level of humor. The mod was in the right 110%.

Stormonu

Legend
Nah, Wizards would never do anything to inflame the edition wars, even by accident. :p

Sometimes people do things without really thinking them through very well. I do find the shirt somewhat funny (because it's silly wrong), but it's not something I'd buy or promote.

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Nah, Wizards would never do anything to inflame the edition wars, even by accident. :p

Sometimes people do things without really thinking them through very well. I do find the shirt somewhat funny (because it's silly wrong), but it's not something I'd buy or promote.

Girls.......Girls.......Your both pretty.

If you presented that t-shirt to someone who doesn't even play RPG's they would be completely lost as to why its pi$$ing people off.

So the amount of people who are going to be angered by it are a very small contingent of RPG players who are easily goaded into a defense position when it comes to discussing who's dad could beat up the others. (i.e.......which RPG is better, 4E or PF).

Remove ads