Love and gaming

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I met my wife through our campus gaming club. Neither of us can pinpoint the actual meeting but we know that we were gaming together sometime in our freshman year. That led to a number of years of friendship that didn't even grow into a serious relationship until a year after we graduated.

Stormborn

Explorer
My wife had an older sister who played DnD when they were growing up, but she wasn't allowed to play because "that was Tasha's thing." Later in life she got into Shadowfist and played that with some friends. Years later I started playing DnD with a co-worker and her friend and husband. Then the coworker dropped out. Her friend worked with my then-future-wife and asked if it would be OK to invite her. We had "met" but only briefly before. So when she started playing I had only gamed for a little while (barring CRPGs and some boardgames). It was us and the DM and her husband. After a while we started flirting with each other and one day I realized I was very jealous when she started talking about an old boy friend who had visited her. Not long after I asked her to a concert (about the same time she decided to put a stop to the flirting because it was making our friend anxious that the group would break up if we had a relationship). She said yes. We started dating. Fell in Love very quickly, because even though we hadn't been dating we had been seeing each other every weekend for several months. I proposed 6 months later. She said yes. Got married about a year later. On Nov. 22 it was three years ago. And we have been happily gaming/married ever since. Now in the group its mostly her and the coworker friend (her husband didnt really get into RPing but loves to pain minis and we play war games or board games occasionally with him) and I run the games more often than not.

Kid Socrates

First Post
My girlfriend became interested in gaming after hearing stories about my gaming group and the stories we were making. She's been gaming for about two years now.

klofft

Explorer
I met my wife on retreat. We were together for a very long time without her gaming. She would watch, but had no interest in participating. Then she came up with a Champions concept, we built it, and she joined the group at the time. That was about 6 years ago. She's played several games since, and is now co-GMing with me in our Spycraft game. But she has a hard rule: modern gaming only!

Nightchilde-2

First Post
RangerWickett said:
To those of you whose significant others are gamers, did you meet them in a gaming group, or did you meet first and then discover you shared a love of gaming, or something else?

I met my ex-wife through a mutual interest in gaming.

That's probably not the most stellar of arguments for dating a fellow gamer...

Ruined

Explorer
I met my wife at a Vampire LARP venue. There were immediate sparks, but we danced around the issue for a few years while we sorted out other things in life. Turns out she'd been playing tabletops for almost the same amount of time I had.

I'm a lucky guy, I tell ya.

KenSeg

First Post
My wife of 25 years has been playing D&D with me since we were dating back in 1979/1980. My DM and his wife met at a con and played in a group together in Orlando.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

Kragar00

First Post
My wife-to-be started frequenting my gaming group when we started dating... This was because she was jealous that 2 of my ex-girlfriends were in the group....

Remove ads