Lovecraft Country (Spoilers for Episode 1)

carrot

Explorer
Yeah - that was a really interesting show. It certainly felt authentic - I must admit I hadn't appreciated the levels of racism prevalent in the Southern States, so that was definitely an eye opener. I agree - the monsters were fantastic - you could feel the sanity checks failing :devilish:
I struggled to follow a lot of the dialogue though - it was partly cos it was very quiet and partially the accents (normally quite good with them). Still that was a minor quibble really. All in all I'm looking forward to the next one.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Yeah - that was a really interesting show. It certainly felt authentic - I must admit I hadn't appreciated the levels of racism prevalent in the Southern States, so that was definitely an eye opener. I agree - the monsters were fantastic - you could feel the sanity checks failing :devilish:
I struggled to follow a lot of the dialogue though - it was partly cos it was very quiet and partially the accents (normally quite good with them). Still that was a minor quibble really. All in all I'm looking forward to the next one.

We noticed that the dialogue was difficult to follow too! We thought it was some kind of levels on our projector.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We noticed that the dialogue was difficult to follow too! We thought it was some kind of levels on our projector.

There are two things going on, I think. One is that there was a bit of an audio balance problem between the action scenes and dialog - if your volume is set well for the action scenes, dialog was a little quiet (at least for me, who has fans on for cooling in the summertime)

Another is that they seem to be using period appropriate language and accent for African Americans of the time and region, which has a bit of a drawl many of us are perhaps not used to, making it a bit harder to follow.

Last edited:

Just finished watching the first episode last night and it was a great start. I've not read the book yet, but will likely do so. I've enjoyed other books that have addressed Lovecraft's virulent hatreds, like Ballad of Black Tom and Winter Tide.

I dug all the little pulp references, like Tic reading A Princess of Mars, too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I watched it and had the same problems others had -- the audio mixing made it really hard to hear what people were saying. I thought it was my TV, but from this thread, I guess not.

Remove ads