Lovecraft Country (Spoilers for Episode 1)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Having now watched the entire season/series I can say that it wasn't a waste of time, but that I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The world of the show didn't feel "real" (for example, a large number of Chicago Police were killed in a raid on a house but the world didn't seem to respond to that happening in any way) and because of that the show didn't seem to have "real" dangers or consequences for the major characters because the entire narrative seemed to take place in a fantasy world, not the real one.

It might be that I have been watching Lovecraft Country concurrent with Dark, and Dark is an improvement in almost every aspect by which you can judge a show as being well made.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The world of the show didn't feel "real" (for example, a large number of Chicago Police were killed in a raid on a house but the world didn't seem to respond to that happening in any way)

Well, the cops were mostly killed by an eldritch horror, and the police were controlled by a cabal of wizards, so, you'd kind of expect them to cover that up.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Well, the cops were mostly killed by an eldritch horror, and the police were controlled by a cabal of wizards, so, you'd kind of expect them to cover that up.
I'd think that 200ish shots fired from the street, dead victims in the house, a street blocked by police cars, and a giant monster sized hole might have alerted the neighbors something strange was happening.

I suppose you could make a case that the wizards mind wiped all the witnesses and magically cleaned up the scene in a shirt time and kept their mouths shut....but that seems a stretch too far to feel "real" which goes back to my point.

Also, I didn't think every one of the Chicago Police Department were wizards, just that one small station captain and his underlings. I could be wrong with that assumption, I just don't remember seeing more than that small group each time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd think that 200ish shots fired from the street, dead victims in the house, a street blocked by police cars, and a giant monster sized hole might have alerted the neighbors something strange was happening.

It is a standard trope in the genre that folks will rationalize away almost anything they can. Like, a giant frelling monster was running around the street ripping arms off people and eating their heads! They DO NOT want to think about that. Their minds fog it over.

"There was some shooting, and some loud noises. Maybe a gas line went up? I dunnno...."

I suppose you could make a case that the wizards mind wiped all the witnesses and magically cleaned up the scene in a shirt time and kept their mouths shut....but that seems a stretch too far to feel "real" which goes back to my point.

Except, of course, how the wizards did the same thing to George and friends in the very first episode....

Remove ads