D&D 5E Low Level Wizards Really Do Suck in 5E

Most people on the forums don't seem to know how to play wizards or maybe only a couple of sub classes (Diviner/Invoker/Abjurer it seems). Wizard will never be good at damage although fireball is useful every now and then.

Treantmonks guide is OK but a few spells have been rated wrong IIRC.

Wizard 101. Dont use damage spells generally, use spells that target cha saves or wisdom saves, avoid direct damage spells generally (exceptions fireball/lightning bolt), and avoid spells that have con saves.

I agree.
Martial classes are now so much efficient at dealing damage that Wizard must find something else to shine.
I play an evocation wizard until level 11, at the end I was having a few evocation spells prepared.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
In 1st level spells Magic missile is going to be reliable because it always hits unless it's actively trumped by something like shield. If you use shocking grasp, let your familiar deliver it. It's a cantrip so this can be your old standby for an attack. Invisibility is good protection for you and if you are out of harms way flaming sphere can be a good choice. Hold person or suggestion are good but at early levels your saves aren't that hard to make if luck is against you. If your game uses flanking, and you dare go invisible and flank for the warrior types. your fog is best used to stop ranged attackers from being effective. IMHO

Zardnaar

Legend
There are people on this forum that think the way to play a wizard is to sit back with a crossbow and never cast a spell because actually casting spells doesn't feel magical.

Using crossbows thats new. Try throwing darts or daggers as they used to have a 2/1 or 3/1 fire rate.

mortwatcher

Explorer
I agree.
Martial classes are now so much efficient at dealing damage that Wizard must find something else to shine.
I play an evocation wizard until level 11, at the end I was having a few evocation spells prepared.

this is true, warriors/martials at level 11+ deal so much damage
but I still felt like a star, because of me the warrior had flying so he could connect with that dragon while I was keeping myself busy with dimension dooring others from dodgy positions

Teulisch

First Post
wizard damage has a few basic flaws in it, its true. but that does not mean the class sucks, it just means that its very easy for a player to take the wrong cantrips and spells. either for the campaign they are in, or just poor mechanical choices in general. spell fall into three categories- roll to hit, save or suck, and the stuff that just happens. that last category can be the best, but sometimes (such as with illusions), the spells effect depends on the DM. if the DM is running a pure combat game with no RP, a lot of concepts will fail hard. if the game is low combat, other concepts will prove lackluster.

at the end of the day, wizards are the single most flexible class, and thus the hardest class to play well. they are also the squishiest class, even if their HP is better than the old d4 they used to have. mage armor is mandatory, simply because they have no other good options. shield is a good idea, but tricky to apply properly for some styles of play.

no matter how good your spell list, you can always end up with suboptimal choices for some encounters. at least an elven wizard gets longbows (and an extra cantrip).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hmm. Take Treantmonks advice with a grain of salt. He writes in a vacuum

Lolwut?

Treantmonk playes lots of D&D, and has for a very long time. He even has a live cast up. He's not writing in a vacuum.

is only focused on the math & doesn't account for RP/campaign reasons to make various choices.

OHHHH OK now I get it...you have him confused with someone else! That's the only explanation I can think of for accusing him of only focusing on math, given he's known for focusing on non-damage spells which do not innure to mathematical analysis easily.

Before you defame him further, know that 1) he's likely going to reply to you and read your comments, and 2) he's not some anonymous dude out there but a really person who is pretty visibile and who you're bashing pretty recklessly right now, and 3) you'd probably appreciate the curtesey of people genuinely watching/reading your writings more extensively before making hasty generalizations like you just made, so maybe pay him the same curtesey in return?

Playing Wizard require a bit too much knowledge about game mechanics.
Good saves, magic resistance, damage resistance or immunity, legendary resistance.
An experienced player can manage this intuitively, but a beginner can hit a wall choosing a spell list to stay effective in most situation.

Playing Wizard require a bit too much knowledge about game mechanics.
Good saves, magic resistance, damage resistance or immunity, legendary resistance.
An experienced player can manage this intuitively, but a beginner can hit a wall choosing a spell list to stay effective in most situation.
Yes and no. For some new players, it's this type of strategy and learned complexity that draws them in.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Personally, I don't care about the "right way" to play a wizard. If I'm running an evoker, you better believe that I'm throwing around fire and lightning. There might be some kind of concentration spell there somewhere, but those damage spells are coming out.

Remove ads