[LPF] About a Cow

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

Aelspeth watches her companions spring into action. Autumn fires away at the kobolds, Arradon sails through the air and then disappears into the void, and Rak'Tan makes his way up and across the massive log. The sounds of Rak'Tan's scale mail clinking, of the kobolds' hissing and scurrying about, forms a distracting cacophony inside Aelspeth's head. She hesitates, unsure what to do next. After a moment that seems to stretch for minutes, she shakes her head to clear it. It seems there's nothing to be done but take the plunge. Poor choice of words...

Aelspeth reaches back and pats Darwin on the head, whispering, "Hold on, Friend," as she takes a measured pace backward. She takes a deep breath and explodes into motion with a few sprinting strides. Her internal monologue seems to have presaged tragedy to come. The arc of her leap is initially sound but her trajectory takes her directly into the flared snarl of roots at the log's base. A particularly thick root catches her across the midsection, knocking the wind from her lungs and springing her backward a foot or so. As the wizard falls, arms and legs flailing for a purchase they can never find, her familiar leaps clear of her back as well.

Aelspeth plummets into the darkness below with a surreal effect. The violet glow of the magical stone orbiting her head flashes against the stone walls of the ruined tower with oscillating brightness in a sort of downward brushstroke. The slanted portion of the floor below rushes up to meet a second elf but the shadows are banished, forbidden from devouring another (mis)adventurer. Aelspeth's shoulder hits unyielding stone and she rolls downslope on pure, adrenaline-fueled instinct. Pain lances through bones but they do not break. Her breast is smashed under the full weight of her body and pack, her knee hits the floor with another crack. She at last comes to rest perpendicular across Arradon's prone form. She sucks in air to refill her tortured lungs and rolls over off of the assassin, then rises laboriously to stand.

At least I didn't break my bow.

[sblock=OOC]Free: 5' step to (B14)
Move: Running jump
Jump the gap and mitigate impact: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17

Nonlethal falling damage: 2D6 = [5, 1] = 6
Move: Rise from prone

30' drop. Successful Acrobatics check ignores first 10' and converts next 10' to nonlethal. Intentional jump converts last 10' to nonlethal as well, if I'm interpreting the environmental rules properly. If not, let me know and I'll convert the last 10' to lethal for a result of 5 nonlethal and 1 lethal damage.

The idea was to put the light on Arradon, yes, but it was also predicated on the initial misperception that he was still hanging from the remains of the netting. So scratch the whole bit.

I had mage armor listed in mini stats but have now added the ioun torch and unseen servant. I hope that helps.[/sblock]

[sblock=Aelspeth’s Mini Stats]Aelspeth Noromiel
HP: 18/18 (6 nonlethal)
AC: 13 (17) FF: 10 (14) T: 13 (17 vs. incorporeal)
CMB: +0 CMD: 13
Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +4
Special: Immune to magical sleep, +2 on saving throws against Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +7
Conditions in Effect: Mage armor (+4 AC), ioun torch, unseen servant
Weapon in Hand: Longbow (18/20)
Shift: 5 ft, 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand
1st Level: Grease, Unseen Servant, Color Spray, Color Spray
2nd Level: ---
Consumables: Wand of CLW -3 (-1 for Autumn), Wand of Mage Armor -1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[section]Autumn Foxfire - Natural Mystic

Autumn's elven adoptive father Mykal taught her how to shoot. From proper technique and form, to the mental processes, and as well as working on her speed, her weakest downfall was that she liked to rush everything. He called it her human side. She knew that she would never have her parent's natural elven reflexes, so sometimes she overcompensated without fully visualizing the flight of the arrow before releasing.

Autumn could have sworn she saw the arrow she just shot land square in the chest, but following the actual shot she saw that she missed the small root twig from the tree that deflected her arrow ever so. The current state of reality now is much different than what she imagined just a mere moments ago. She sees Rak'tan climb atop the giant tree trunk, but notices it wavers under his considerable weight. She also saw Arradon and Aelspeth hurdle through the air, but not across the chasm but plummeting down into the abyss. Autumn only had a few moments to decide what to do.

I have to make it across! At least Arradon and Aelspeth have each other for the moment. Assuming they survived. Autumn makes for it! She rears back, and with much less confidence than she had hoped, misses the ledge. Somehow she manages to mitigate her landing into the net. Panicking, she fires a blast of flame at the kobold in the net too, but misses wildly. Autumn dearly hopes no one can see how red in the face she is.

[/section]
Map after Autumn

[sblock=Actions]Move: Jump (and fall, and miss ledge, but soft landing)
Standard: Firebolt at kobold E11
[/sblock]

[sblock=Jump 6, Reflex 6, Acrobatics 15, Firebolt 8]Jump DC10: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Reflex: catch ledge DC20: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Acrobatics DC15: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15

Firebolt: Ranged touch: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D6+2 = [1]+2 = 3
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Uh oh. Apparently I don't have jump on my skill list! She can't jump! That's a problem isn't it?[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini-Stats]
Character Sheet

HP: 16/16
AC: 14 FF:12 T:12

Initiative: +2

CMB: 3 CMD: 15
Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4

Acrobatics:
Climb: +6
Jump: +2
Perception: +9
Stealth: +3

Longsword: +4, 1d8+2, 19/x2, S
C. Longbow: +4, 1d8+2, 20/x3, P, 80 ft.
Dagger: +3, 1d4+2, 19/x2, P/S, 10 ft.
Fire Bolt: +3, 1d6+1, 20/x2, Touch 30 ft.

Firebolts Available: 5/7
Arrows Available:18/20

Point-Blank Shot: +1/+1 attack/damage within 30 ft.

Spells Prepared:
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
Level 1: Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Obscuring Mist

Conditions: Light (on arrow in chamber)

Solo Kills: Kobolds 3, Scorpion 2
Game Notes: 1 Healing Charge from Aelspeth's wand
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ealt

Explorer
Arradon Delgaran

[section]
Arradon gets to his feet and put a hand on his side. That rib is definitely broken now. He peers around in the gloom looking for the kobold he saw descending after him. He smirks at Aelspeth and Autumn, "Glad you could join me." He lets out a short laugh that ends with a grimace as he continues to hold his side in pain.
[/section]

[sblock=Action]
Move: Rise from prone
Perception:[roll0]
Action: Ready attack vs kobold if it approaches
Attack:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arradon Delgaran Mini-Stats]
Arradon Delgaran
AC: 16 (12 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 17/26 (5)
CMB: +2 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1
Bluff: +9 Diplomacy: +7 Disable Device: +10 Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +4 Sleight of Hand: +7 Stealth: +9
Initiative: +5

Sneak Attack: 2d8 (Dagger)
Hidden Blade: +1
Blade Sense: +1

Feats: Blind-Fight,Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Current Weapon in Hand: Masterwork Dagger
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: Crossbow Bolt (1), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (1 Charge)
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=Trogdor]With the distance (10 ft), surface modifiers (roots, lightly obstructed), a standing jump (DC double the distance) and Rak'tan's penalty to Acrobatics it isn't possible for him to jump on top of a kobold.[/sblock]

Trogdor1992

First Post
[sblock=OOC] then I will jump down and attack the nearest kobold.

Attack: _: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21

Damage: _: 2D6+3 = [3, 6]+3 = 12
[/sblock]

Rak'Tan jumps down from the log and slashes with his greatsword, slicing deeply into the nearest kobold.

[sblock=Rak'Tan Veragni stats]

Rak'tan Veragni

HP: 13

STR:15 DEX:14 CON:14
INT:14 WIS:12 CHA:10

AC: 17 FF: 15 T: 12

CMB: +3 CMD: 15 BAB:+1

Speed:20'

Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +1

Special: +5 resistance to fire/cold/lightning

Acrobatics:-1
Appraise:2
Bluff:2
Climb:3
Escape Artist:-1
Fly:-1
Heal:1
Intimidate:4
Perception:2
Ride:3
Sense Motive:1
Stealth:1
Survival:2
Swim:-1

Initiative: +2

Attack:
Greatsword-2d6+3 slashing

Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Current Conditions: None

Temporary Items: None

Items Depleted: None

[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Aelspeth and Autumn tumble into the abyss after Arradon barely missing the elf and taking a hard tumble on the sloped stone below. Aelspeth's ioun torch lights up the lower room: like many of the rooms previous the debris of kobold living is scattered about. The light also reveals a tiny creature, a blood-shot eye encased in a cage of sharp-edged armor and dangling chains.

The creature darts forward with chains flailing at Arradon's face. A bladed chain catches Arradon along the jaw and he feels blood pouring down his neck. The attack readied for the kobold is easily turned to this creature and as the mithral blade scores the eye-creature's armored cage it makes a sound like grinding metal parts clashing. As the creature attacks and is attacked the kobold on the wall net continues down to the floor.

Rak'tan, despite his encumbering armor, skillfully drops down between a pair of kobolds. His blade chops brutally into one of the kobolds and it falls in a spray of blood. The three remaining kobolds on this level draw long knives and move up to chop and hack at Rak'tan. Two manage to finds gaps in his armor and draw blood.

[sblock=Erin]Erin didn't particularly like her neighbor, Migli. He was puffed up with self-importance and liked to brag about his acceptance into the Tower of Chains as the apprentice of an important wizard. And he changed for the worse when he summoned that chained eyeball thing as a familiar. And yet, he came to her when he had to leave town. He asked her to hold a note for him and open it if he didn't return within a week.

Seven days later she opened it. It simply asked her to find his mentor at the Tower of Chains. It cost Erin a good gold coin to get a boat ride to the island but since she was still flush from her last job it wasn't a hardship. She eventually got in to see Migli's mentor, a wizened, halfling woman named Ungalla who didn't seem particularly worried about Migli since she said she had already hired another tiefling to track down Migli but she agreed to hire Erin to go to the fallen tower he was supposed to scout and report on his condition.

So, with the promise of gold, Erin traveled the day away to the farm of one Jezz who gave her perfect directions to the tower and told her to watch out for 'devil dogs'. Erin arrived at the tower apparently on the heels of Migli (just like him to take a vacation in a tavern somewhere before doing the job he was supposed to do and inconveniencing Erin to boot).

It seems the wizard had set off a couple of traps as he entered the tower to battle kobolds (not devil dogs, whatever those might be). Although by the looks of the corpses cleaved nearly in half Erin was beginning to wonder if it was Migli at all or maybe this other tiefling. And the tower was baffling in its layout. It had clearly collapsed, fallen neatly on its side and yet still somehow intact enough to be sound and used as a kobold lair.

As she navigated several rooms and a spiral staircase that stretched from bottom to top of tower and acted as a convoluted hallway she heard battle ahead. Hurrying along she came to an opening partially blocked by a large treestump that might possibly serve as a bridge across the gap (a 30 ft drop off) that loomed immediately beyond the door. A pair of elves and a human was down below fighting a chained creature much like Migli's familiar though the creature seemed crazed with bloodlust and Migli was nowhere to be seen. The male elf was profusely bleeding from the face and didn't look well at all. The other two also looked pretty battered.

The room ahead, across the gap, had a few battle hardened kobolds and one kobold corpse with a familiar looking wound that had obviously been dealt by the large, male tiefling with a greatsword, apparently the warrior sent to find Migli, now fighting kobolds.

As Erin watches the kobolds converge on the tiefling.

OOC: Check out the map (sblock below). It's confusing but that should help. And I know that's not the picture you have for Erin but after all this writing I was lazy and used a token I already had. Sorry.[/sblock]

GM: Round Three: Everyone (including Erin) is up.
Need AoO from Arradon & possibly from Aelspeth and Autumn.

[sblock=OOC]Combat map

[sblock=maps]Starlight Keep level one
QrVcNg.png

Starlight Keep level two
j3nBPP.png

Starlight Keep level three
F9INx8.png
[/sblock]

Merry, I think it's the difference between a deliberate jump and a deliberate jump with a successful Acrobatics. 1d6 is negated, 1d6 is converted to nonlethal but the third still is lethal. This is the same as the third example in the text. So, Merry takes 1d6 nonlethal & 1d6 lethal. And it means I totally screwed up Arradon's damage even after a correction but I'm going to leave it as is.

Francis, a softer landing but still painful. Autumn takes the same damages as Aelspeth (explanation above). non-lethal / lethal: 1D6 = [2] = 2; 1D6 = [2] = 2

Trogdor, Rak'tan still has to make an Acrobatics to avoid the damage. In the interest of not prolonging this round any longer I'll make the check for you: Raktans jump: 1D20-1 = [20]-1 = 19 Lol, lucky!

Ealt, I've counted Arradon's readied attack against the creature but he also gets an AoO. If Aelspeth and Autumn have melee weapon in hand they can take an AoO as well.

Aelspeth: hp 17/18 [5 non-lethal]
Arradon: hp 15/26 [5 non-lethal] + 1d2 Bleed
Autumn: hp 14/16 [2 non-lethal]
Rak'tan: hp 8/13 [4 non-lethal]

Kobolds: AC 17/T 14/FF 14; 12; 12; 12; 12; 0 hp
Note: all kobolds in this room have same AC & hp
Kobold attacks vs. Rak'tan: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11
1D4 = [4] = 4
1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
1D4 = [1] = 1
1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22
1D4 = [2] = 2

Eye Creature AC 17/T 15/FF 14; 19 hp: dmg taken [1]
Action: Moves into Arradon's square (provokes AoO from Arradon) and attacks: Augur attack: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20 for Augur dmg: 1D4-1 = [3]-1 = 2 dmg and 1d2 Bleed.
[sblock=K Planes DC 12]The creature is an Augur Kyton[sblock=DC 17]The Kyton are evil beings from the planes susceptible to good magics and silver[sblock=DC 22]The Augurs are sometimes taken as familiars by wizards of less than scrupulous nature[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

[/sblock]

Trogdor1992

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Attack: _: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5
[/sblock]

Shrugging off the kobold's daggers Rak'Tan shouts loudly so his companions can hear "I've got these two, this end of the log will be secure in mere moments!" Rak'Tan swings on one of the the kobolds attacking him but misses, cursing under his breath.

[sblock=Rak'Tan Veragni stats]

Rak'tan Veragni

HP: 13

STR:15 DEX:14 CON:14
INT:14 WIS:12 CHA:10

AC: 17 FF: 15 T: 12

CMB: +3 CMD: 15 BAB:+1

Speed:20'

Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +1

Special: +5 resistance to fire/cold/lightning

Acrobatics:-1
Appraise:2