• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] About a Cow

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Is there any way I could do a single move get the attack off and keep that roll?

Second question, can we take 10 on a jump?[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=Helpful]Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking about. And being able to make a running jump changes this whole encounter; I didn't think we would be able to. I also appreciate the clarification regarding tree diameter and positioning, as it hadn't even occurred to me to ask.[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
Arradon Delgaran

[section]
"Just one." Arradon dashes quickly down the hall and rushes past Autumn. He flies through the air and grips onto the edge of the platform, but the nearby kobold stomps on his hand and he loses his grip, falling into the darkness below.
[/section]

[sblock=Action]
Acrobatics:[roll0]
If I said I was surprised I would be lying.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arradon Delgaran Mini-Stats]
Arradon Delgaran
AC: 16 (12 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 23/26
CMB: +2 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1
Bluff: +9 Diplomacy: +7 Disable Device: +10 Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +4 Sleight of Hand: +7 Stealth: +9
Initiative: +5

Sneak Attack: 2d8 (Dagger)
Hidden Blade: +1
Blade Sense: +1

Feats: Blind-Fight,Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Current Weapon in Hand: Masterwork Dagger
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: Crossbow Bolt (1), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (1 Charge)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Dont you get a reflex save to catch the ledge and have to make a climb check to get up?

Side note: Kudos to Glasseye for making the coolest three dimension combat I've experienced. Thumbs up!

Final note: Sorry again about the initiative. [/sblock]

Last edited:

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
PFSRD said:
If you fail this check by 4 or less, you can attempt a DC 20 Reflex save to grab hold of the other side after having missed the jump. If you fail by 5 or more, you fail to make the jump and fall (or land prone, in the case of a vertical jump).
Source

I will say, though, that that was a cool way of fluffing the failure, [MENTION=6795047]ealt[/MENTION].[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Tight quarters and a poor angle conspire against Autumn. Her shot is good but the fletching brushes against a splayed root of the tree trunk used in the log trap and knocks it just enough off true that the arrow misses the kobold she was aiming for.

Aelspeth's arrow fares no better than Autumn's but her wisdom on the dangers of their situation, and jumping in particular, is sound.

And Arradon leaps...

The elf almost seems to soar through the air. He realizes mid-jump that purely by poor luck he isn't going to land well. He hits hard, his chest smashing against the corner of the floor, his arms scrambling to grab something and prevent his fall. Nearby, a kobold readies himself to pounce on the vulnerable elf.

As Arradon falls he hits netting used by the kobolds to traverse between the two rooms and slows his fall some before he hits the floor.

GM: Round One: Rak'tan's action still to go.

[sblock=OOC]Combat map

[sblock=maps]Starlight Keep level one
QrVcNg.png

Starlight Keep level two
j3nBPP.png

Starlight Keep level three
F9INx8.png
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn, sorry, but allowing a retcon of Autumn's action causes more complications than I am willing to deal with. Her action stands as stated. Don't feel like you've lost something though: a round of actions and an arrow are a small price for knowledge.

FJ, unfortunately the situation qualifies as immediate danger or distraction so I'm going to rule no on Take 10 for the jump.

FJ, glad you like the combat. I hope you feel the same by the end of it!

All, fyi, jumping isn't the only way across, just the fastest.

Aelspeth: hp 18/18
Arradon: hp 17/26 6 dmg +[5 non-lethal]
Autumn: hp 16/16
Rak'tan: hp 13 [4 non-lethal]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Trogdor, yes, there is. Rak'tan could, for example, pull himself up onto the tree (difficult terrain), move along the trunk and hope it doesn't fall while he's on it. That would take a move action. He could wait there til his next turn (so he doesn't get swarmed by kobolds while he doesn't have any attacks) to navigate the roots (difficult terrain, again), drop down in the middle of the kobolds (DC 15 Acrobatics to avoid the 1d6 nonlethal damage from the 10 ft deliberate jump down) and then attack. Or, he could try something really crazy (but I'll leave any other possibilities for you to come up with).

Ealt, I just discovered that the 2d6 damage Arradon took for falling 20 ft down into a net that broke his fall probably should have been considered a fall onto a yielding surface which converts the first d6 of damage into nonlethal damage. I've edited the damage note in my previous post.

Also, I edited Arradon's position on the map. There's no way he could have jumped past on Autumn's side of the tree.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
[sblock=OOC] do I have to make any checks to get myself perched on the log, near the other end so I can be ready to drop on my next turn?
[/sblock]

Remove ads