• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] About a Cow

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Is this area just a blank space with nothing in it except a few pots and the characters? Or is it a completely filled kitchen with everything thrown around, and the people are the images? Or is everything images? Color me slightly confused.

I am hoping with a bit of intuition on our parts you've already revealed enough info to 'solve' the haunt. I know you can't answer that part, that was me just thinking outloud. (Or should it be 'typing' outloud?)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]This room is mostly empty. There is dirt and dust and a few worthless relics of when the tower was still a functioning keep but not much. Most everything is gone, taken over the centuries or decayed away. Essentially, everything in this room is the haunt. No real pots or knives, just the ghostly sounds and images of a functioning kitchen turned on its head.

I'll be honest: this was mostly just a 'survive and move on' encounter designed to drain a few of your resources before the big battle. I have a couple of rudimentary ideas concerning putting the haunt to rest (which really wouldn't be feasible at this level, or without a particular character) so if you all came up with a good idea that fit the history of the location I'd entertain the possibility. :)[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I had a feeling that was the intent but being staggered put a damper on any hasty retreat. After hearing there was nothing noteworthy, I planned to move Aelspeth out of the room. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to post tonight. If I do, it'll be late--I'm DM'ing a F2F game. If Autumn and Rak'Tan beat feet and I haven't posted yet, feel free to advance us back to the stairwell.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Haha, ok! If the pot was real, I would have had Autumn tried to create water in the pot... maybe to make it happy. Other than that, I'll have her get out of there.[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
No sweat GE. I've been super busy this week with school and well other things... (Fallout 4). One question to decide my next post. Is the party proceeding through the haunted room or do we have to back track?
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[section]Autumn Foxfire - Natural Mystic

Still smarting from the boiling water pain, Autumn can hardly focus on the images she just witnessed. The jangling of the shaking pot only serves to heighten her tension. "Guys, l-let's get out of here. Aelspeth, I'll help you down first." She kneels down by the ledge and rope and make sure the elf gets set as Aelspeth begins to lower herself.

[/section]

[sblock=Aid Another 16]Take 10 + 6[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini-Stats]
Character Sheet

HP: 9/16
AC: 14 FF:12 T:12

Initiative: +4

CMB: 3 CMD: 15
Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4

Climb: +6
Perception: +9
Stealth: +3

Longsword: +4, 1d8+2, 19/x2, S
C. Longbow: +4, 1d8+2, 20/x3, P, 80 ft.
Dagger: +3, 1d4+2, 19/x2, P/S, 10 ft.
Fire Bolt: +3, 1d6+1, 20/x2, Touch 30 ft.

Firebolts Available: 6/7
Arrows Available:19/20

Point-Blank Shot: +1/+1 attack/damage within 30 ft.

Spells Prepared:
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
Level 1: Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Obscuring Mist

Solo Kills: Kobolds 3, Scorpion 2
[/sblock]

Trogdor1992

First Post
After watching and making sure everyone else makes it out, Rak'Tan will climb down, heading out of the room with the rest.
[sblock=Climb] _: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rak'Tan Veragni stats]

Rak'tan Veragni

HP: 13

STR:15 DEX:14 CON:14
INT:14 WIS:12 CHA:10

AC: 17 FF: 15 T: 12

CMB: +3 CMD: 15 BAB:+1

Speed:20'

Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +1

Special: +5 resistance to fire/cold/lightning

Acrobatics:-1
Appraise:2
Bluff:2
Climb:3
Escape Artist:-1
Fly:-1
Heal:1
Intimidate:4
Perception:2
Ride:3
Sense Motive:1
Stealth:1
Survival:2
Swim:-1

Initiative: +2

Attack:
Greatsword-2d6+3 slashing

Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Current Conditions: None

Temporary Items: None

Items Depleted: None

[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
With nothing else that can be done at the moment, and at Autumn's urging, the group moves on. Rak'tan waits until last to leave the haunted kitchen and the pots begin a sustained rattle that cuts off as soon as he swings over the edge of the door. The only way forward is through the darkened stairwell, moving on to the next level.

At the doorway to the next group of rooms the adventurers find it has been blocked by a crude door of salvaged planks lashed together. There is a faint flickering glow coming from the cracks in the door; there is either a fire or lit torches beyond. It is possible that the group could continue on to the next level.

[sblock=OOC]3
Previous combat map

[sblock=maps]Starlight Keep level one
QrVcNg.png

Starlight Keep level two
j3nBPP.png

Starlight Keep level three
F9INx8.png
[/sblock]

I've included a level three map even though the PCs have not yet seen beyond the door.

Aelspeth: hp 8/18
Arradon: hp 15/18
Autumn: hp 9/16
Rak'tan: hp 13 [4 non-lethal]

[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

Aelspeth recovers more quickly after Autumn urges her to flee. As the group files into the stairwell-come-tunnel, she examines her wound with a clearer head. Much to her surprise, the knife is gone--but the wound continues to gush blood in nauseating volume. In all her life, she has never experienced such serious physical trauma. Catching Autumn's attention, she asks for some attention with the healing wand.

The adventuring party moves awkwardly, once more, through the tunnel, crawling over, under, and around the cracked old stairs of Starlight Keep. Approaching the crude door to the third round of rooms, Aelspeth creeps along with her back pressed against the curved wall. She leans very slightly in front of the door and listens for several heartbeats. Though she hears nothing, she is learning to exercise increased caution. This place has been a deathtrap replete with hostile inhabitants, mechanical traps, and hauntings. She holds up a hand to signal a halt for her companions.

The wizard reaches inside her new (albeit already soiled) cloak and withdraws two objects from her spell component pouch--a short length of twine and a faceless wooden doll that fits in her palm. She kneels uncomfortably in the non-geometric passage, closes her eyes, slows her breathing. There is a tingling at the base of her spine, the familiar excitement that comes whenever she begins to shape and remold reality around her. She wraps the twine tightly around the upper half of the doll's head. She raises the doll to her lips and lowers it again, then violently snaps off each of its limbs in succession while whispering, "Atsistoti, vergas, ir tarnauti man gerai." As she does so, each limb disappears in turn. Holding the limbless doll in one hand now, she presses her thumb against the head and increases the pressure gradually until it snaps off too. The air shimmers visibly before her and for a split second there can be seen a faceless wicker man. He disappears instantly.

Ritual complete, Aelspeth stands once more and very quietly addresses the group. "We now have an invisible servant to walk ahead of us. I will command him to open the door and enter, drawing the attention of any kobolds that might be inside. He will also spring what traps may lie in wait. We can go in after he does, hopefully safe from immediate harm. Are there any objections?"

[sblock=Rolls and Actions]CLW Wand: 1D8+1 = [1]+1 = 2

CLW Wand: 1D8+1 = [7]+1 = 8

Perception at plank-door: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9

Cast unseen servant.[/sblock]

[sblock=GM Question]How much time has passed since we arrived at the keep? About an hour? Hour and a half? I ask for the purpose of tracking the duration on Aelspeth's mage armor.[/sblock]

[sblock=Aelspeth’s Mini Stats]Aelspeth Noromiel
HP: 18/18
AC: 13 (17) FF: 10 (14) T: 13 (17 vs. incorporeal)
CMB: +0 CMD: 13
Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +4
Special: Immune to magical sleep, +2 on saving throws against Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +7
Conditions in Effect: Mage armor (+4 AC)
Weapon in Hand: Longbow (18/20)
Shift: 5 ft, 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand
1st Level: Grease, Unseen Servant, Color Spray, Color Spray
2nd Level: ---
Consumables: Wand of CLW -3, Wand of Mage Armor -1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads