• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] About a Cow

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[section]Autumn Foxfire - Natural Mystic

Autumn had forgot all about the Aelspeth's healing wand! She happily obliges. Although never have used one before, she is surprised at how easily the magic transfers from her to the wand, and in turn to the ailing elf. "Aelspeth, má ég prófa vendi á mig? The sjóðandi vatn meiða verri en ætla mætti. Þú s-s-s-seinfaldlega verður að taka nokkrar endurgreiðslu þegar við komum aftur. ég lofa." After timidly waiting for the anticipated confirmation, she directs the healing magic towards herself. After the scalded skin returns to right, she focuses her attention to the glowing plank door and the ensuing actions of the unseen servant.

[/section]

[sblock=Elven]"Aelspeth, may I try the wand on myself? The boiling water hurt worse than it might appear. You s-s-s-simply must take some repayment upon our return. I promise."[/sblock]

[sblock=Healing wand 8]Healing wand: 1D8+1 = [7]+1 = 8
[/sblock]

[sblock=Perception 29]Perception: Planked door: 1D20+9 = [20]+9 = 29
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini-Stats]
Character Sheet

HP: 16/16
AC: 14 FF:12 T:12

Initiative: +4

CMB: 3 CMD: 15
Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4

Climb: +6
Perception: +9
Stealth: +3

Longsword: +4, 1d8+2, 19/x2, S
C. Longbow: +4, 1d8+2, 20/x3, P, 80 ft.
Dagger: +3, 1d4+2, 19/x2, P/S, 10 ft.
Fire Bolt: +3, 1d6+1, 20/x2, Touch 30 ft.

Firebolts Available: 6/7
Arrows Available:19/20

Point-Blank Shot: +1/+1 attack/damage within 30 ft.

Spells Prepared:
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
Level 1: Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Obscuring Mist

Solo Kills: Kobolds 3, Scorpion 2
Game Notes: 1 Healing Charge from Aelspeth's wand
[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
Arradon Delgaran

[section]
Arradon is relieved to see his companions emerge from the room above slightly worse for wear. He follows them back through the tower stairwell and pauses to listen at the boarded doorway. He listens to Aelspeth's plan and nods in agreement, "I see no problems with it." He prepares to follow Aelspeth's phantom into the room.
[/section]

[sblock=Action]
Perception:[roll0]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arradon Delgaran Mini-Stats]
Arradon Delgaran
AC: 16 (12 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 23/26
CMB: +2 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1
Bluff: +9 Diplomacy: +7 Disable Device: +10 Perception: +8 Sense Motive: +4 Sleight of Hand: +7 Stealth: +9
Initiative: +5

Sneak Attack: 2d8 (Dagger)
Hidden Blade: +1
Blade Sense: +1

Feats: Blind-Fight,Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Current Weapon in Hand: Masterwork Dagger
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: Crossbow Bolt (1), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (1 Charge)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
After all healing is completed and Aelspeth finishes her ritual, the invisible wickerman pushes against the makeshift door. It is heavier than expected but not so much that the magical being cannot push it, hinged as it is at the top, upwards. Autumn barely has time to draw breath for a warning and step out of the way before the door, not even fully opened yet, slams shut and shatters into splinters as a fire hardened stump swings down from the room beyond and crashes through it.

The stump wedges in the doorway blocking the half of it and the pieces of the door fall away. This leaves the other half of the doorway open to reveal, at quick glance, a firelit room with half a dozen or so kobolds scurrying about for weapons (room 2, level 3). A slightly longer examination would reveal that there is a drop of nearly 30 feet just outside the door to the stairwell and that the nets or ladders the kobolds used to travel between the room and the stairwell have been cut away or removed. The floor where the kobolds are is a ten foot leap out from the doorway; a painful fall should one miss the landing. From your location there doesn't seem to be an upper room to this level.

[sblock=OOC]Combat map

Note that the stairwell door is also 10 ft higher than the level where the kobolds are. So, to reach that level you would have to go out 10 ft and also down 10 ft. The first large square just outside the door is the 30 ft drop into the lower room.

[sblock=maps]Starlight Keep level one
QrVcNg.png

Starlight Keep level two
j3nBPP.png

Starlight Keep level three
F9INx8.png
[/sblock]

Merry, I always find it difficult to estimate the vague time of exploring a dungeon. I'll go with your less conservative estimate of an hour passed.

And, I apologize, but it will be late tonight before I can get a current battle map posted.

With the wedged log taking up half the doorway only one person/creature will be able to enter/exit the stairwell at a time.

Aelspeth: hp 18/18
Arradon: hp 15/18
Autumn: hp 16/16
Rak'tan: hp 13 [4 non-lethal]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
GM: Link for combat map and attempt at clarification of scene added to previous post.
Also, entering combat rounds: party has initiative.

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[section]Autumn Foxfire - Natural Mystic

Reacting quicker than a fox, Autumn steps forward and pulls out an arrow then kneels down in one fluid motion. Before anyone else in the keep has a chance to react, one kobold lies dead, with an arrow through it's chest. Autumn calls out, almost with a hint of pride in her voice, "One down, at least four left."

[/section]

Map after Autumn

[sblock=Actions]Free: draw arrow
5-foot step: E13
Move: kneel
Standard: ranged attack D9 with point-blank shot
[/sblock]

[sblock=Attack 20, Damage 11 (forgot the +1 from PBS)]Attack kobold on D9: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20
1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules question]How does kneeling move economy work? Can I shoot bow from kneeling? If not I don't kneel. Free action to kneel, move to get up?[/sblock]

[sblock=Full Disclosure]I truly hope this doesn't affect or hasn't affected anything, but my Init bonus should have always been +2 instead of +4. I just corrected it now. At one point I had a trait bonus, but ended up switching to a different trait. I willingly accept any penalty that may result.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini-Stats]
Character Sheet

HP: 16/16
AC: 14 FF:12 T:12

Initiative: +2

CMB: 3 CMD: 15
Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4

Climb: +6
Perception: +9
Stealth: +3

Longsword: +4, 1d8+2, 19/x2, S
C. Longbow: +4, 1d8+2, 20/x3, P, 80 ft.
Dagger: +3, 1d4+2, 19/x2, P/S, 10 ft.
Fire Bolt: +3, 1d6+1, 20/x2, Touch 30 ft.

Firebolts Available: 6/7
Arrows Available:19/20

Point-Blank Shot: +1/+1 attack/damage within 30 ft.

Spells Prepared:
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
Level 1: Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Obscuring Mist

Solo Kills: Kobolds 4, Scorpion 2
Game Notes: 1 Healing Charge from Aelspeth's wand
[/sblock]

Last edited:

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

The sudden and violent splintering of the door elicits a terrified shriek from Aelspeth, immediately followed by an exultant cheer. "Yeah! Kobolds are crafty but predictable!" She giggles in an uncharacteristic display of youthful mirth. Then the danger of the situation sinks in.

Separated from the enemy by a nasty drop and with limited visibility through the door, Aelspeth wracks her brain for inspiration. Finding none, she fires an arrow at the kobold straight ahead of her. Her arrow whizzes past the creature's shoulder and skitters across the stone to rest in the corner where the floor slopes upward. She utters a frustrated growl from low in her throat and ducks away from the door in case projectiles begin moving the opposite direction.

"Rak'Tan, you'll never make the jump in your armor. Autumn, can you burn this stump away and give us some more room to work with? We will only place ourselves in greater peril attempting to secure rope and swing across while those kobolds stand ready. Arradon, if you have any great ideas right now, I believe we're all listening."

[sblock=Actions]Shoot kobold (C7): 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
1D8-1 = [1]-1 = 0

Arrow breaks >50: 1D100 = [32] = 32

GlassEye, is the stump limiting line of sight to the kobolds' side of the drop as well? And would it count as difficult terrain at D-E10?

Even with a +6 bonus to Acrobatics, the gamble is too great for a standing jump. The unseen servant could wrap and tie off rope around the stump in order for us to swing across but it would take time and expose us to any ranged attacks from the kobolds. Any other ideas?[/sblock]

[sblock=Aelspeth’s Mini Stats]Aelspeth Noromiel
HP: 18/18
AC: 13 (17) FF: 10 (14) T: 13 (17 vs. incorporeal)
CMB: +0 CMD: 13
Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +4
Special: Immune to magical sleep, +2 on saving throws against Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +7
Conditions in Effect: Mage armor (+4 AC)
Weapon in Hand: Longbow (18/20)
Shift: 5 ft, 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand
1st Level: Grease, Unseen Servant, Color Spray, Color Spray
2nd Level: ---
Consumables: Wand of CLW -3, Wand of Mage Armor -1
[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
I'm considering jumping across, but just one question. Is there enough space for a running start?
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=Rules/Rulings]

Trogdor, in clarification of my 'Depends' answer above, I need to know what sort of actions you are taking in order to reach the kobolds before I can give an answer. It is necessary for you to navigate the pit, the tree, etc.; I need to know how you are managing it.

FrancisJohn, the tree blocks sight between Autumn giving the kobold in D9 total cover. It may be possible to shoot at the kobolds in G7 or G9. However, the tree takes up a large portion of square E13 meaning Autumn has to squeeze into that square. This takes two movement points (cannot be a 5 ft step) and gives her a -4 to hit. The kobolds also have partial cover from that angle. Net effect: Autumn misses with her shot.

FJ, kneeling is a kettle of fish I would rather not fry but since you asked: Move action to kneel, Move action to get up, no AoO provoked for either. You can shoot your bow while kneeling. Note that, because of the previous point, Autumn doesn't have the actions this round for kneeling.

FJ, I won't penalize you for making an honest mistake with Autumn's initiative.

Merry Mortician, I'm not sure what you mean exactly but, yes, the stump affects line of sight. Autumn, for example, can't see much of anything. The kobold in C7 is probably the only one that can be seen clearly from someone standing in the door. On the other hand, they can't see much of you all either.

MM, it makes sense that navigating the roots of the tree, D-E10, would be difficult terrain. However, someone could be in D-E10 under the tree which wouldn't be difficult terrain. Just be aware of the elevation difference.

Ealt, it's debatable but, yes, there is enough space for a running start.

Other Notes:

The tree trunk is a good 5 ft in diameter covered (mostly) in coarse bark. Nothing you all have will burn it enough to get it out of the way. The trunk is wrapped in ropes attaching it to the ceiling and by a rope used to reset the trap. See the added inset map on the combat map.

In the inset map: the lines traveling from the tree to the walls are the ropes of the swinging log trap.[/sblock]

Remove ads