• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Distant Relations

jkason

First Post
GM: I'd actually rolled Know checks in secret for the sblocks, but since I didn't tell you I'd already done that: go ahead and read the Elenka-only sblock, since that's what she got for having a higher result. We'll assume Quioan knows that now, too. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka shudders. She's never had a fear of spiders but then they normally don't run in such large swarms and she is guiltily glad that she is at the back of the line. She does, however, know a little something about them and calls out a warning.

"Normal weaponry is useless against them! We'll need to use fire or something that can injure large numbers of them at once."

Having said as much, she uses her powers of summoning to bring in a small fire elemental on the other side of the swarm (if she can see well enough to do so). The elemental swings one fiery fist at the insects...

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Sorry for the delay. Hope you all had a happy holiday. Not sure if the elemental will be able to affect the swarm any but I'll roll attacks just iin case.

Move --
Standard summon small elemental.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 4/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 28
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: In the Other World[/sblock]
EDIT: realized that Elenka can only summon a creature at a 30 ft distance so she'll drop it as far from her as possible (within the swarm area).

Last edited:

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 4)

Yo mutters under his breath as he watches the spiders descend. Crap! He begins to fall back. "Anna, spiders! We need your magic."

As a monk, I am completely useless against swarms. I defer to the magic users in the group. Yo tries to move behind everyone else, but staying close enough to provide light for those that need it.

Move Action: Move back 20 feet.

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 19 Touch 19 Flatfooted 14
HP: 28/28
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +4 Reflex: +8 Will: +7 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 4/4 remaining
Ki Pool: 5/5 remaining
Expenditures: 50 gp
[/sblock]

deisenhut

First Post

OOC: Just curious - would Yo's elemental fist have an effect on the swarm?

I would still need to make a directed attack against the swarm. We need area effects, like burning hands. Yo is hoping the spellcasters will have some of the necessary abilities and is getting out of their blast range. If the the spiders are considered "tiny", then I may be able to hit for half-damage. If they are considered diminutive or smaller, I cannot hurt them. Looking in the Bestiary, they are diminutive. But this may be a larger variant. I need to buy some potions or other magic items for such encounters, like a potion that lets me breath fire for 3 rounds.

Qik

First Post
OOC: K, wasn't sure.

Looking at Anna's spell list, she doesn't have much in the realm of AoE. Maybe a color spray would buy us enough time to scoot past? We'll see what happens when jk processes Elenka's and the swarm's actions, and then go from there, I guess. Gonna be a toughie for our group, though, I'm afraid.

GlassEye

Adventurer
OOC: Spells aren't the only source of fire (just the easiest to manage). We picked up several alchemist's fire from those halfling pirates.

deisenhut

First Post

OOC: Spells aren't the only source of fire (just the easiest to manage). We picked up several alchemist's fire from those halfling pirates.

If we have Alchemist's Fire, throw it!! :) If I happened to have some in my bag that I didn't record, I'll be digging into my bag in Round 1 after moving out of the way of the spellcasters in the Surprise Round.

I'll look up Anna's character sheet and can run her for this combat. Are we just doing the surprise round this post?

jkason

First Post
The air above the swarm hisses and pops, and suddenly a being of living fire materializes amidst the swarm at Elenka's call. The creature swings its burning hand down into the mass, but natural instinct sends the spiders scattering up the walls at the heat.

[sblock=damaging the swarm]I'll admit this is my first swarm, too. My understanding is that any single-target attack, elemental or no, suffers from the swarm's weapon immunity. They aren't vulnerable to fire or elements specifically, but to area attacks (of which a large number are fire). If the swarm's immune to acid splash, I can't imagine an elemental fist bypassing the immunity.

From that, I ruled as follows: The elemental's slam attack (single target natural weapon) doesn't cause damage. However, since the burn mechanic also affects an unlimited number of creatures who attack the elemental with natural weapons, the spiders DO have to deal with burn damage from attacking the elemental. Of course, for that to happen you have to convince them to end their turn on top of the giant fire thing ... ;)[/sblock]

OOC: We'll see what happens when jk processes Elenka's and the swarm's actions, and then go from there, I guess.

GM: Is Quioan choosing to forego an action in the surprise round, then, or holding until after the swarm? So far as I can tell, he's only used free actions, so he has a move or a standard if he wants to use it.

If we have Alchemist's Fire, throw it!! :) If I happened to have some in my bag that I didn't record, I'll be digging into my bag in Round 1 after moving out of the way of the spellcasters in the Surprise Round.

I'll look up Anna's character sheet and can run her for this combat. Are we just doing the surprise round this post?

GM: Per This post, each of you should have two vials of alchemist's fire. Since no one had any at the ready, you're right, and you'll have to use an action to retrieve a vial if you intend to use it.

And yes: we're still in the surprise round. The spiders still get to act during it, but I want to confirm what Quioan is doing before I have them act.

Map updated. Hope it doesn't throw anyone that I just shunted the letters to fit you all in the active area rather than trying to extend the map. I'll worry about that if you all start trying to flee it terror. :p

Attachments

• spider fight1.jpg
    spider fight1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 62

Qik

First Post
OOC: Thanks for clarifying, jk. Nope, I wasn't forgoing my move; I thought it was Elenka->spiders->rest of us, so I was waiting for the spiders. My bad.

Glad you remembered the alchemist's fire, GE; I hadn't seen it on my sheet, so I had assumed I'd passed it up. That'll teach me to be lazy about the bookkeeping...

Suddenly remembering the alchemist's fire he had commandeered from the would-be raiders, Quioan switched his pack to one shoulder and rifled through it, withdrawing a small flask a moment later...

OOC: Move: retrieve alchemist's fire

Remove ads