• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Distant Relations

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 4)

Yo looks back at the half-elf for a second before returning his attention to Quioan. "This is about as good as we're gonna get. You have your gear, the elf is out. If all else fails, we don't come back. So take your stuff." Yo throws his backpack on his back and secures it. Grabbing his mask, "I'll check the hallway."

He moves towards the door and opens it part way to see if anyone is out there.

OOC: Sorry, my cable was actually out for 2 days. Couldn't get online at home.

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 19 Touch 19 Flatfooted 14
HP: 28/28
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +4 Reflex: +8 Will: +7 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 4/4 remaining
Ki Pool: 5/5 remaining
Expenditures: 50 gp
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka chews her lip, a sure sign she has something to say but isn't sure about it. Getting her gear together like the others she finally speaks up.

"I think we should come back if we can. The upstairs intrigues me. And with the high priestess gone I don't think we'll have a much better chance to look things over up there. Maybe not tonight, but soon, after we see what Inar has to say. He may need more evidence. Besides, I'd really like to make sure these bastards don't squirm off the hook somehow."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move --
Standard --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 5/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 28
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: In the Other World[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
GM: I went and bumped you guys, then couldn't get on all day yesterday with last-minute shopping. D'oh! FYI, probably not much posting time between today and Tuesday with various holiday activities, but as always this game gets first posts as I can.

Everyone's agreed to sneak out, and I'm assuming you're going to try the secret door in the storeroom. If I've got that wrong, let me know.

Some more confident than others, the group decide now's their chance to try to sneak off to meet Inar and report on what they've so far found. Gathering their gear, they move with purpose down the hallway, though for now they needn't have worried, as the way is clear. They make their way to the storeroom, past the currently-empty cells in which they started this trying ordeal. With the barest creak, they open the storeroom door.

Without Tarkan around, it's easier to survey the small space. About ten feet square, the room is practically empty now that you've reclaimed your belongings. There's the now-empty table on which most of your belongings were stacked, and a medium-sized chest sitting against the far wall which appears to be locked. Quioan points out the seam in the southernmost wall, and it takes little effort to push the secret door open. Your nose picks up on the five foot wide tunnel before your eyes can really register it: something akin to a swamp's odor wafts out toward you, moldy and damp, unpleasant but not overwhelming. Somewhere in the dark down there, if you're correct, lies The River's Tears and your means of meeting with Inar.

GM: Things I'll need from you guys before you move into the tunnel:

1) Marching order
2) Light source(s)
3) Someone to offer to run Anna until such time as [MENTION=100541]toasterferret[/MENTION] returns
4) Perception checks

Qik

First Post
Eying the dark path, mostly enshrouded even to his keen elven eyes, Quioan unshoulders his bow and mutters an arcane phrase; the bow lights up, and the elf stretches it out into the darkness, although it doesn't reveal much at this juncture.

Turning to Elenka, Quioan says, "What do you say our friend Drevezh'Korol joins us for the trip? If nothing else, I'm sure he'd be glad to see you," smiles the elf, thinking about the slightly-ornery man-tree.

"Also, Yoshiki, as I may have mentioned to you before: I would gladly conjure you some magical armor if you desire. It may or may not be useful right now, so let me know if and when you'd like it. It's good for about 3 hours, so it buys us some time, but I only have one use of it right now, and gods know when I'll be able to prepare my spells again."

With that, Quioan peers back into the darkness, not sure what to expect from the seemingly straightforward journey to The River's Tears.

OOC: I'm happy to run Anna; for now, just have her cast light on something she's carrying.

Marching order: If Drevezh'Korol joins us, he would be the obvious to put first. I'd imagine we put Yo second, Q third, and the ladies following up the rear (So DK-Yo-Q-A-E). Only problem with that is it doesn't cover our rear; if that's a concern, maybe move Yo to the back?
[sblock=Stats]
Quioan Scorchsong
HP: 24/24
AC: 17 (Touch: 15, Flat-footed: 12)
CMD: 19
Fort: +3, Ref: +8, Will: +3
Perception: +9
Spells:
- 0: Light, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound
- 1: Mage Armor, Gravity Bow, Shield
Bonded Item: Unused
Consumables: Wand of CLW (23 charges)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka smiles and is clearly in favor of summoning her other-worldly friend but she shakes her head.

"As much as I would like to see him it may be best if we don't. If, as you suspect, this leads across to that tavern it would seem likely that the temple uses this as a way to unobtrusively enter and exit. It would be difficult to explain his presence and might give away one of my greatest strengths. I have other summons to use if things should come to a fight."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
I'm fiine with Qik's suggested order minus Drevezh'korol. Elenka has a fair Perception and can always use a summons for more rearguard force.

Move --
Standard --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 5/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 28
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: In the Other World[/sblock]

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 4)

Yoshiki will happily take the front or back of the line, confident in his own abilities. "I'll gladly accept your magical armor, if you wish to use it for me. But I wouldn't want to deny you your ability for yourself. Especially if you don't feel you'll be able to get it back any time soon." Yo leaves the decision of whether to expend Quioan's limited magical energies to him.

Yo takes the lead, unless someone has a strong opinion otherwise for his to take the back.

OOC: Anybody got a light?

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 19 Touch 19 Flatfooted 14
HP: 28/28
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +4 Reflex: +8 Will: +7 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 4/4 remaining
Ki Pool: 5/5 remaining
Expenditures: 50 gp
[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Quioan purses his lips. "Well, I'm not planning on needing it - I have real armor, that doesn't impede my ability to cast - so saving it for myself isn't an issue. What is, of course, is my ability to prepare spells: if I'm able to get a proper amount of sleep, preparing each day shouldn't be an issue, but who knows in our current situation..." The elf trails off. "Anyways, perhaps we'll be cautious for the time being - but know it's there if you need it."

Seeing Yoshiki search for a light, Quioan reaches out and touches Yoshiki's shirt: the shirt begins to glow, and simultaneously, Quioan's bow extinguishes.

OOC: Realized Anna doesn't have light. If the light on Yo isn't enough for us all, Quioan could always pull out a sunrod.

Also, jk, now that we have our gear, would Quioan be in a position to sleep enough and have enough time to prepare spells in the morning? Based on the schedule established over the last couple of days?

jkason

First Post
[sblock=Qik]From What Quioan knows of your schedules, he would have had time to eke out spell prep tomorrow if he'd gone to sleep at their normal hour. Sneaking out in the middle of the night, however, means he won't have a full 8 hours of sleep before his experience would suggest he'll be awakened[/sblock]

The secret door swings slowly shut on its own after Elenka has entered the tunnel and no one is there to hold it open. She tests it to make sure they're not locked out, and though the stone door is heavy, it's not locked on either side, apparently.

The now-glowing monk leads the way down the tunnel, a murky affair. Mucky puddles slurp and splish underfoot periodically. It's unpleasant, but nothing worse than some of the less hygenic cultists or a rank swamp.

By the time they've gone about fifty feet down the tunnel, everyone is tense in the gloom and echoing darkness, only Yoshiki's magically-lit vestment illuminating the way. The skittering sounds from the ceiling, then, put almost everyone on their guard.

The roiling mass of spiders is impossible to miss as it descends to cover the floor and walls in front of the party, then starts to undulate toward them....

[sblock=Quioan & Elenka] Even in this light, you can tell the spider swarm is made of a species which overwhelms its prey and uses venom to weaken potential meals.[/sblock]

[sblock=Elenka]The swarm's constituent creatures are too small to be reduced in any effective number by direct weapon (natural or otherwise), though the roiling clumping of them does make them more susceptible to any area damage the party might be able to generate.[/sblock]

GM: Everyone but Anna made their Perception checks, so she's the only one who can't act in the surprise round.

Initiatives:

Swarm:

Spider initiative (1d20+3=19)

Party:

Elenka, Quioan, Anna, Yoshiki initiatives (1d20+2=21, 1d20+5=13, 1d20=18, 1d20+4=18)

Average: 17

Elenka can act before the swarm in the surprise round

The area in red is the swarm.

Attachments

• spider fight.jpg
    spider fight.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 54

Qik

First Post
"Good lord..." mutters Quioan, before registering the species of spider attack.

"Be careful, Yo - they're poisonous!"

OOC: This'll actually be my first combat with a swarm (fun, fun), so I have no idea what does and doesn't hurt them. I'll roll a Know (Nature) check for Q; hopefully he can garner some information based on that. From what I understand, this is a free action, meaning that he'll still have his action in the surprise round.
[sblock=Stats]
Quioan Scorchsong
HP: 24/24
AC: 17 (Touch: 15, Flat-footed: 12)
CMD: 19
Fort: +3, Ref: +8, Will: +3
Perception: +9
Spells:
- 0: Light, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound
- 1: Mage Armor, Gravity Bow, Shield
Bonded Item: Unused
Consumables: Wand of CLW (23 charges)[/sblock]