• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Distant Relations

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 3)

With everything finally back to normal, Yoshiki releases his tightly held grip on the lifelines near the stern of the ship. Having had his muscles tensed since the strange woman appeared, he looks tired and worn out now that he has relaxed.

"If there are pirates in these waters, I'd better get to sleep early as I expect I'll busy keeping a keen eye on the lookout tonight. I'll head below and grab a quick, early meal before hitting the sack." And with that, he begins moving towards the ladder that heads down to the berthing compartment.

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 17 Touch 17 Flatfooted 12
HP: 22/22
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +3 Reflex: +7 Will: +5 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 3/3 remaining
Ki Pool: 0/0 remaining
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
So that he won't disturb the monk, Renlow has Nevil take the wheel and prepares dinner for all, bringing it up to the deck as Yoshiki quickly partakes and then falls into a dedicated slumber. Nothing as exotic as the eel this time; general travel fare, but the party's come to appreciate Captain Renlow's culinary skills at making basic staples appetizing.

It gets dark sooner than you would expect, largely due to the dark clouds rolling in. By sunset, The Downpour has met her namesake. Thankfully, the heaviest rain only lasts briefly, but by the time Elenka and Drev set up to take first watch, The deck is still under a fairly miserable drizzle.

The weather makes it hard to see, though Captain Renlow insists his dwarven vision can adequately navigate in the weather. Still, as the others head below to rest, the summoner and her eidolon can tell the dwarven captain's having to expend all his attention on guiding their craft; it will be their eyes alone able to take the watch.

As Renlow's prediciment would indicate, on top of being damp and clammy, visibility is extremely poor. The rain itself obscures the river, and the heavy clouds cover most of the star and moonlight. The wet deck and pitch of the river is its own distraction. It's only Drevezh'Korol's darkvision that lets him catch the small sailing ship coming from behind just as it angles to pull alongside The Downpour. The eidolon can make out several child-sized shapes on its deck, scrambling quickly and quietly.

GM: Drev can act in the surprise round, then there's one round before the ship will be in position to board. Elenka, Drev, and Renlow are on deck. Everyone else is belowdecks asleep. If you guys want to roll your initiatives, go for it. I'll average what you roll and / or roll for whoever doesn't when the first round starts.

Since folks are asleep, I'm ruling it takes a full round for them to rise and get on deck.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"STAND OFF," bellows Drevezh'korol. "OR OUR ARCHERS WILL FIRE!"

Drevezh'korol will quickly move to the side of the Downpour where the other ship is pulling up. He'll ready himself so that if any of the other ship's crew attempt to board he will attack.

"Drev! What's going on?"

"Wake the others," he hisses.

With an unseen nod Elenka whirls about and dashes belowdecks to wake her shipmates.

"Ship off the... um, back side!"

[sblock=Actions]Surprise Round (Drev only)
Move to the side of the ship where the presumed halfling pirates are pulling up
Standard ready an action to attack the first to attempt to board
Round One (Elenka)
Move double move to go below yelling as she goes
Round One (Drev)
Standard repeat his ready action until necessary to change

Note: Drev has 10 ft. reach[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: [/sblock]

Last edited:

deisenhut

First Post

Zzzzzzzzzz......... Mumphf, what?

[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Quioan wakes with a start at Elenka's warning, instantly reaching for his bow, laying ready by his side. "Coming!" he calls out, attempting to shrug off the fog of sleep.

[sblock=Actions]Will rise and get on deck, bow at the ready, positioning myself in as optimal archery position as possible.[/sblock][sblock=Stats]
Quioan Scorchsong
HP: 24/24
AC: 17 (Touch: 15, Flat-footed: 12)
CMD: 19
Fort: +3, Ref: +8, Will: +3
Perception: +9
Spells:
- 0: Light, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound
- 1: Mage Armor, Gravity Bow, Shield
Bonded Item: Unused[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
As Drev calls out his threat, he can see the three halflings not piloting the craft duck and look about, but though they seem to believe him, the threat of archers just seems to spur them to board all the faster. There is a screaching and a heavy thump as the halfling craft smacks into the side of The Downpour, the three halflings on deck simultaneously throwing chains to moor the craft together.

Renlow swears loudly as the ship pitches to one side.

"Just keep those blighters off me, wooden man!" he yells to the eidolon. "They've set their sail against ours, and with the pitch and the storm, gonna be all I can do to keep this girl straight!"

Down below, Elenka's warning wakes the others, who quickly move to take action. Except Nevil, who wakes with a start and leaps under his cot, cowering at the prospect of a pirate raid.

Quioan rushes up the stairs and sets himself against the railing opposite Drev as the halfling captain pilot locks his wheel and the quartet ready themselves to rush aboard.

[sblock=actions]Surprise round. Drev moves and bluffs:

Drev Bluff; Halflings Sense Motive (1d20=19, 1d20=13)

The halflings believe there are archers, but this close, they figure they're better off ramming the ship and boarding quickly than moving away and being picked off as they try to flee; they stay their course.

Anna init +0

Initiative (1d20=3)

PC average init: 11

All Halflings:
Halfling initiative (1d20+1=11, 1d20+1=2, 1d20+1=21, 1d20+1=20)

Average: 13 init

Halflings act first.

Round 1:

Halflings: Full round action: pilot brings ship in while the halflings throw the grapples.

Drev: holds readied action against boarding

Elenka: runs below to wake others (FYI, I'll call that one a move action, so Elenka can move back up on deck or take any other standard action still in the first round). All PCs now awake.

Quioan: rushes on deck with bow (full round to rise and move to deck)

Yoshiki: no action yet declared. Rising and moving on deck will take a full round

Anna: no action yet declared. Rising and moving on deck will take a full round

Map: Halflings aren't on board yet, though they act first in round 2. 'screened' icons are folks belowdeck. Need full round orders for Yoshiki and Anna, and a standard action if Elenka wants it. Assume you used half your movement as part of rising and getting up the stairs on deck, but other than that you can place yourself wherever. If you want up on the pilot level, it's an extra square of movement to go up those stairs, and Renlow is in the square with the wheel.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Halfling Encounter1.jpg
    Halfling Encounter1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 74

deisenhut

First Post

Round 1

Any remaining sleepiness is immediately lost as the barge jerks hard from the impact. Jumping to his feet, Yoshiki gathers his senses. Hearing the commotion above and watching Quioan in the dim light grab his bow and rush up the ladder, Yo quickly follows. He doesn't stop to grab any gear. Just himself wearing the robe that he slept in, bare feet and all.

Reaching the deck he steps to the right side, so as to not block anyone behind him, and drops into a defensive fighting stance. He scans the ship and horizon to see what all is going on.

[/sblock]

toasterferret

Explorer
Hearing Elenka's warning from above decks, Anna stiffly rolls out of bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Damn it all... " she curses as she makes her way out of the cabins, looking around for the source of the commotion.

OOC: the square she is on is fine by me

jkason

First Post
GM: Map update. toasterferret, Anna didn't have enough movement to get up from below deck and then into the position her icon was previously on belowdecks, so I got her as close as possible. deisenhut, I interpreted "right" to be Yoshiki's right. Let me know if you wanted a different square.

Just waiting to see if [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] wants to take advantage of Elenka's remaining standard action. I think I got things muddied talking about a full round for folks to come up from belowdecks. That was because those people had to rouse, rise from prone, and then move. Since Elenka was standing and awake, she can do more. ;)

Attachments

• Halfling Encounter1A.jpg
    Halfling Encounter1A.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 89

GlassEye

Adventurer
Once Elenka has given the alert she'll run back upstairs and position herself where she can judge where she'll be most needed in the combat to come.

"Hold 'em off, men! (No offense intended, Anna...)"

[sblock=Actions]
Move to J3
Standard --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: [/sblock]

Remove ads