[LPF] Greener is the Grass

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Vincenzo will end up at N,37

[sblock=Mini Stats at lv 5]Vincenzo
AC: 19 (16 flat-footed, 14 touch) (+ variances)
HP: 48/57 [+11 from level up, +5 for overnight rest]
CMB: +6 CMD: 18 (+ variances)
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +4
Initiative: +2
Bluff for combat: +12

Current Weapon in Hand: +1 ivory handled Rapier
Att: +10 ; Dam: 1d6 + 6, Crit: 18-20/x2, Type: P
Current Conditions in Effect:

33D3DD
[/sblock]

OOC: oops, forgot to get healed up

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Maui calls upon Tane in his cutting native tongue. The grass stirs as it reaches up, strong like rope, entangling the limbs of the Goti horses and riders alike. Then Maui pushes his mount forward into a gallop.

Meanwhile Taniwha streaks through the grass in a sudden burst of speed and leaps up to bit at another of the Goti rider's legs, clamping down hard with his jaws and twisting his strong neck to and fro trying to pull the rider from his horse to the ground.

[sblock=Actions] Cast Entangle (Rang 600 ft) centred at S9 (I think ... radius 40 ft; trying to entangle all but 8 & 7, and 6,5 & 3 should be caught on the edge so we could atk them melee without entering the area): Save vs Reflex DC 13

Then move mount forward (50ft)

Taniwha moved 50 ft (double move stealthily +Haste (+30ft?)) last round. Not quite sure how far that puts him behind the bandits, but he is going to Sprint at Goti 7 (Edit: Ooops, Boots killed that one, then I mean Bandit 8) and make a Charge attack using Bite. (Sprint means he can move 600 ft to make a charge attack 1/hour ... with Haste as well.... I think he will make it :) )

Taniwha's Buffs:
Charge: Atk: +2 (AC -2 til start of next turn)
Haste: Atk +1 (AC and Ref +1)
Magic Fang: +1 enhancement bonus to atk and dmg with Bite
Bull's Strength: +4 enhancement to strength -> +2 atk and dmg
Power Atk: -1 atk +2 dmg

Total Bonus atk on Charge: +5 atk +5 dmg
25 vs AC=Hit 10 dmg
Trip attempt to unseat rider possible? +14 vs CMD
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 5 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
AC: 19 (20)
HP: 47 Current: 47
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +5 Reflex: +4 (+5) Will: +6

Conditions: Haste (4/6 rounds left); Guidance (+1 to one atk, skill or save)

In Hand:
Scimitar +1: +8 (+9); 1d6+5 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: Obscuring Mist; CLW: USED; Entangle 1/2 USED
2nd: Bull's Strength 1/2 USED, Bark Skin,
3rd:
Wild Shape: 1/1 uses left per day: 4 hours left
[sblock=Jaguar Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 12
Speed 40 ft., climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +8; 1d8+5 (+Grab) 2 Claws: +8; 1d4 +5 dmg
Special Attacks: Pounce: Full atk on Charge
Rake: 2 extra Claw atks vs Grabbed Target[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 16/16
Wand of Magic Fang: 50/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 20 (21-2=19)
HP: 42 Current: 42
CMB: Trip/Disarm +7 (+11) CMD: 21 (25 vs Trip) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 (+11) Will: +2

Conditions: Magic Fang +1 atk and dmg with Bite (Enhancement 1 minute); Bull's Strength +4 Str (enhancement 5 minutes); Haste: move+30ft +1 atk and +1 bonus to AC & REF (4/6 rounds left);
After Effect of Charge: -2 AC til start of next turn

Bite: +9 (+13); 1d6+4 (1d6+7) dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +9 (+12); 1d3+4 (1d3+6) dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
I misunderstood. I thought by placing my mount within the squares you specify it would just be going through normal movement. So if I move and then I'm still 80 ft away what was the point of listing those starting squares? Can I do nothing but move this round?

The point of those starting squares was to inform you of the limit of your mounted movement. It is the farthest distance the horses could move at a run based on your distance from the bandits. You aren't finishing the movement 80 ft away from the bandits, that's the point at which you could cast your spell as per the rules for spellcasting from horseback (which I linked in a previous post in case you weren't familiar with mounted combat). And there are any number of actions open to you. Your fellow players all chose different movement/actions; you are only limited by the distance at start (180 ft), the options available to your character and the rules.

Based on Systole's plan ("Send Boots in, then charge over the ridge as soon as he engages") and description of actions, below is a timeline of the action so far:

Bandits spotted: 150 ft.
Three rounds of buffing (and assumed movement); distance widens to 180 ft.
-Round One-
Sylla casts Haste (assuming four characters & two companions affected)
Boots and Taniwha stealthily advance
Maui casts Guidance
-Round Two-
Boots charges, pounces, full attacks
Sylla rides 200 ft, makes ranged full attack (-8 penalty)
Vincenzo rides 100 ft, makes ranged attack (-4 penalty)
Scott, it is possible to make a ranged full attack while your mount moves. Vincenzo could make another attack from being hasted.
Maui (stationary) casts Entangle, then rides forward 50 ft
Taniwha charges & bites
(Bandits thrown into turmoil)

One last thing: I use the dark forum skin, Scorpius. When you change your non-speech text to black it is unreadable. Yes, I can select it to make it readable but that's just irritating. Please just use the default and whatever color you've chosen for your character speech.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I understand that other characters chose to do other things this round. Denizel has pretty different abilities I'm trying to make some use of them. When I asked if I can do nothing but but move this round, it was in the context of what I just attempted to do. I was using I to refer to Denizel specifically.

If I now understand you correctly, Denizel's horse normally has a movement of 50 ft. At the beginning of round 1 we're 180 ft away. I'm assuming that Denizel's casting of bluff happens during the three rounds of buffing you mentioned. At the start of round one Sylla casts Haste, increasing the movement speed of the horse to 80 ft. So Denizel's horse could run the first turn, increasing his speed by four to a total of 340 ft in a round?

I'm assuming that part of your distance calculations was that we don't run during the first round, as that would attract attention. Which is fine. So Denizel will move the standard 80 ft, round one, putting him 100 ft away. If my mount then moves 80 ft on my turn that would put me within the 35 ft of my Command spell right?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Denizel, Level 6 Bard/Oracle]Denizel (Blessed)
AC: 20 (18 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 38 Current: 38
CMB: 3 CMD: 15 Fort: +2 Reflex: +7 Will: +9
Speed: 20'

Current Weapon in Hand:

+1 Longsword: +4, 1d8, crit 19-20/x2
Wand, Inflict Light Wounds: 50/50, Touch, 1d8+2, Will DC 16 for Half, SR = Yes
+1 Crossbow: +7, 1d8+1, Crit: 19-20/x2, Rng: 80ft, 31 Bolts
Wand, Cure Light Wounds: 46/50, Touch, 1d8+2, Will DC 16 for Half, SR = Yes

Key Skills: Bluff +15, Diplomacy +12, Disguise +13, Kn Arcana +13, Kn History +10, Kn Local +10, Kn Nobility +10, Kn Religion +16, Linguistics +9, Perception +8, Perform (Dance) +9, Profession (Courtier) +6, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +8

Bardic Performance: 11/11 rounds per day

Bard Spells Remaining: 1st level 4/4
Bard Spells Known: 1: Charm Person (DC 16), Disguise Self, Hideous Laughter (DC 16)
0: Daze (DC 15), Detect Magic, Light, Message, Prestidigitation

Oracle Spells Remaining: 1st level 3/8 2nd Level 1/1
Oracle Spells Known: 2: Cure Moderate Wounds, Tongues, Zone of Truth
1: Bless, Command, Cure Light Wounds, Identify, Sanctuary
0: Ghost Sound, Guidance, Mage Hand, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance, Stabilize, Purify Food/Drink.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Dude, seriously. You're pissing me off with that black text.

Your horse is not hasted unless Systole gets on here and says it is (Sylla can only affect six targets which I previously posted as 4 characters & 2 companions).

You can do anything you want (mounted or unmounted, I don't care) as long as it follows the rules and the scenario I set up for you (180 ft distance to start). If Denizel has no effective actions that he can take at 180 or 80 feet then yes, it looks like movement is your only option. I don't think it is his only option but that is for you to figure out, not me.

There was plenty of time to discuss tactics. I am not inclined to allow a rewind to add actions on round one. Your option now is to continue with your stated round two action (in which case your spell fails for not having a valid target) OR you can edit your round two action to something different. Any more editing/rewinding than that is too disruptive to what has been posted by everyone else. Sorry if that doesn't seem fair but that's the way it is.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]First of all, this is a game. Calm down. No one's trying to make you upset.

I did not color my text on the last post. I'm using the default color scheme that the new forum has set, and I'm editing an earlier post. Now that I know you're still having a problem viewing things, I'll select all at the end of this post and set the color to automatic. The black text looks the same as the default when your using the current default theme.

I'm not discussing tactics with my team mates. You, the GM, told me I could not do something I thought I could do, in a tactical encounter where somethings have been perfectly measured, but other things, like the first few rounds, have been extrapolated. So now I'm trying to determine what I can do based on information in multiple posts, on multiple pages. It is for me to figure out, but its for you to adjucate and the parameters of the scenario haven't been perfectly clear or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now going back over last few posts, it appears that I cast Bless after you announced round 1. I assumed it was earlier since you didn't put that on your action recap, but since we know its not we can rule out any kind of full movement on round one.

So Denizel will have his horse run on round 2, moving 200 ft. I'm assuming that when you say 180 ft to start, your referring to the edge of the map as 180 ft and not the last bandit. So I'll place Denizel at V28/W29. He won't attack or cast a spell.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Denizel, Level 6 Bard/Oracle]Denizel (Blessed)
AC: 20 (18 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 38 Current: 38
CMB: 3 CMD: 15 Fort: +2 Reflex: +7 Will: +9
Speed: 20'

Current Weapon in Hand:

+1 Longsword: +4, 1d8, crit 19-20/x2
Wand, Inflict Light Wounds: 50/50, Touch, 1d8+2, Will DC 16 for Half, SR = Yes
+1 Crossbow: +7, 1d8+1, Crit: 19-20/x2, Rng: 80ft, 31 Bolts
Wand, Cure Light Wounds: 46/50, Touch, 1d8+2, Will DC 16 for Half, SR = Yes

Key Skills: Bluff +15, Diplomacy +12, Disguise +13, Kn Arcana +13, Kn History +10, Kn Local +10, Kn Nobility +10, Kn Religion +16, Linguistics +9, Perception +8, Perform (Dance) +9, Profession (Courtier) +6, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +8

Bardic Performance: 11/11 rounds per day

Bard Spells Remaining: 1st level 4/4
Bard Spells Known: 1: Charm Person (DC 16), Disguise Self, Hideous Laughter (DC 16)
0: Daze (DC 15), Detect Magic, Light, Message, Prestidigitation

Oracle Spells Remaining: 1st level 4/8 2nd Level 1/1
Oracle Spells Known: 2: Cure Moderate Wounds, Tongues, Zone of Truth1: Bless, Command, Cure Light Wounds, Identify, Sanctuary
0: Ghost Sound, Guidance, Mage Hand, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance, Stabilize, Purify Food/Drink.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]From my point of view, everything from when the bandits were spotted has been carefully measured. Actions haven't been clearly stated and so, yes, I've had to make some extrapolations (and yes, I've made some errors such as neglecting to account for terrain on speed). The point I was making about discussing tactics was that in lieu of other information from players that brief statement is what I had to go with.

I'm assuming that when you say 180 ft to start, your referring to the edge of the map as 180 ft and not the last bandit.

I have repeatedly said that the characters are 180 ft from the bandits. This is baffling to me. Why would you make this assumption?

I really don't know how I could have stated things so that they were more clear. I'm continually trying to improve so that the game runs smoother and everyone has a better time. If you have suggestions feel free to pm me. This goes for everyone.

For now, I think we have cleared things up enough that we can resume but I'm going to set this aside for a couple of days and post an update on Sunday or Monday. Have a good weekend everyone.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]The bandits are not all the same distance. Your information is in multiple posts on multiple pages. Your clarifying post that I was responding to did not include this information.

I'm going to make things simpler. This is not first time you've addressed me with a less than kind tone. I want to thank everyone for their time. I'm removing myself from the adventure.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=OOC]

Vincenzo rides 100 ft, makes ranged attack (-4 penalty)
Scott, it is possible to make a ranged full attack while your mount moves. Vincenzo could make another attack from being hasted.
[/sblock]

OOC: re: above spoiler
understood, second bow shot below
OOC:

1d20+1=14, 1d8+2=9

dang, another 14.

[sblock=Mini Stats at lv 5]Vincenzo
AC: 19 (16 flat-footed, 14 touch) (+ variances)
HP: 48/57 [+11 from level up, +5 for overnight rest]
CMB: +6 CMD: 18 (+ variances)
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +4
Bluff for combat: +12

Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow, mighty +2
att +7; Dam: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, Type: P

other important info:
+1 ivory handled Rapier
Att: +10 ; Dam: 1d6 + 6, Crit: 18-20/x2, Type: P

33D3DD
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
OOC: First of all, my apologies for the delay and the disruption from my discussion/argument with ScorpiusRisk. It looks like you'll be finishing out the adventure without Denizel.

With Denizel recently departed to investigate the missives salvaged from the dead courier the group is left without the aid of his magics.

Maui times his spell to coincide with Boots' attack and when the massive darkwolf drags the bandit from his horse to the sound of crunching bones and the tall grasses begin entwining the bandits and their horses, chaos breaks out. Most of the horses scream their dismay at the sudden entwining of the plains grasses around their legs. Some of the grass stretches tall enough to entangle a couple of the riders who struggle futilely against the grass. Sylla and Vincenzo's arrows fly into the battle adding to the confusion.

Taniwha nearly drags the rearmost bandit from his horse and does a significant amount of damage to the man. Blood streams down his side where the big cat tore into him. When the rider wheels his mount in order to make some distance between himself and his attackers, Taniwha takes advantage and fouls the horse's legs causing it to stumble and fall. The bandit falls from the saddle and lands hard.

Most of the bandits or their mounts struggle against the grass but two manage to pull ahead and begin forging their way to the edge of the spell's effect. A few draw bows but in trying to deal with mounts and magic are unable to get any shots off.

OOC: Round Three. Everyone is up.

[sblock=Combat Information]
GM: Mounted Combat rules

jbear, sorry, I don't think you can use trip to unseat a rider. Bull rush or reposition would probably work but not trip. I rolled Taniwha's AoO against the mount as trip: success! (barely). Also, I tried to place the area of the entangle as best I could based on your description of desired targets. S9 as the center was a bit off. ;)

Entangle: a reddish-brown dot next to the number indicates the rider is currently entangled, a dot next to the horse's ear indicates the horse is entangled.

Ok, I botched surprise so this round the bandits only took a single action to compensate. I hope you all agree that's fair.

Initiative
Adventurers
Bandits

Map:
Vincenzo: N37 (80 ft from bandits)
Maui: M47 (130 ft from bandits)

Party:
Denizel: 38/38 hp
Maui: 47/47 hp
Taniwha: 42/42 hp
Sylla: 40/40 hp
Boots: 52/52 hp