[LPF] No Loitering

jkason

First Post
Surprise Round

The bowmen make their way forward, the others holding fast in position. Without twigs or branches to break, the men are fairly confident they can move around to a clear firing position without giving themselves away.

Apparently, they underestimated the sharpness of orc hearing, however. As the ranger and the former gladiator break cover to clear their shots, the sound of guttural orc calls is unmistakable. At the sight of humans with bows drawn, The lead orc charges forward. His arms seem to swell as he pulls a wicked, bloodstained greataxe from his back. Actually, everything about his seems to grow, including--a bit disturbingly--his natural tusks.

Only one of the other orcs follows his leader's actions. This one draws a falchion in his bid to close on the menacing humans. The other two orcs, it seems, weren't quite as quick on the uptake.

CURRENT MAP

[sblock=ooc]You beat the perception for two of the orcs, but not the leader and one of the flunkies. Orcs won initiative. Their moves were their surprise round actions. Each member of the party gets EITHER a move or a standard action (NOT BOTH) before the orcs can act again in round 1, since none of you are surprised that there are hostile orcs around. :)

I made a guess at the clearest shot angle for the archers that also gave them room to retreat. If you want to adjust that a square or two, you can do that for free during your surprise round action; just don't expect me to believe, say, your character was planning to make a curving shot from 20 feet closer to the party or something. [/sblock]

[sblock=Status]Wilmorn 12/12, Str 16/18
Erin 5/8, Str 9/12
Siddhartha 6/9
Kepli 12/12
Scuttle 6/6
Aszar 8/8
Klot'Kar 3/3
Horsie 15/15

Resources used:

(All orcs are Dazzled from the midday sun, -1 on all attacks)

Berserker: 23/23 HP, AC 14, Rage, Dazzled
Orc 1: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled
Orc 2: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled
Orc 3: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled [/sblock]

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Bardiche
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-2),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Initial Position]I'm ok with where I am. However, I had expected the group to be behind us only about 20-30', so that they can jump on the baddies when they come to us, either with shorter ranged stuff or with melee.[/sblock]

Realizing the plan has been partially thwarted, Wilmorn instinctive drops the bow and steps to create space between himself and Siddhartha. As he does, the ranger whips out a chakram and throws it at the growing menace. As soon as the bladed ring leaves his hand, Wilmorn has the bardiche at the ready, willing himself to ignore the growing fear rising within him at the fast approaching tusked man.

[sblock=Actions]FA drop bow. FA 5' step to the right. FA quickdraw chakram. SA throw chakram at berserker. FA quickdraw bardiche.

Thrown Chakram: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6

The first bad person to move out of a square 10' away from Wilmorn sets off an AOO trip attempt with the bardiche.

AOO trip attempt: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11

Updated Map
[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I wasn't entirely clear on how far back the party intended to stay, myself, especially since they didn't want to impact your Stealth checks. I made a conservative starting point of not moving them from the starter positions rather than force a move on anyone.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Siddhartha the Hunter
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 6/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: C. Longbow SR2 +5 d8+2
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4
Arrows: 97/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1[/sblock]

Squinting due to the sun, Siddhartha's gaze focuses on the oncoming attack. Stepping forward into his shot, he releases his arrow straight at the charging berzerker. Siddhartha can now live like a king with amount of real estate purchased from the tip of the arrow lodged in body of the orc. He warns the rest of the party. "Aye, orcs coming!"

Map after Siddhartha

[sblock=Actions]5-Step: South 1 square
Standard: Ranged Attack at Rager[/sblock]
[sblock=Rolls]Deadly Aim, Point Blank:
1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
1D8+3 = [6]+5 = 11
[/sblock]
[sblock=Sorry]My notification email got lost. Just randomly decided to check today.[/sblock]
[sblock=edit]Also forgot the extra +2 from deadly aim in damage. should be 6 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli watches as their plan immediately gets tossed overboard as the orcs notice and rush forward.

"It was a good plan," she mutters. Shortspear already in hand she dashes to the aid of her companions.

Scuttle comes screaming after and passes the shaman on the way towards Siddhartha and Wilmorn.

[/section]
Updated Map
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +10 (+12 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +5

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance
Special:
Concentration +6
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1
Stormburst: 5/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Alchemist's Fire 2/2 (w/ Aszar)
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 6 Current: 5
CMB: +0 CMD: 6 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +4

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +4 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
It was indeed, and would still be if everyone kept following it. "Pull back!" Aszar slithers a bit forward, as much as his tail allows him. His companions seem oblivious of that fact. "Now!". As his advice seems to fall on deaf ears, he draws his throwing spear.

MAP

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]FrancisJohn, your rolls actually didn't reflect Deadly Aim's penalty on the shot, either. I'll give it to you because you explicitly called out DA in your roll note, and because the attack hits with or without the penalty, but keep it in mind.
[MENTION=6700202]Anastrace[/MENTION] is still up for Erin. I'll NPC her next time I'm here to update if we've not heard back. [/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]+4 Dex +1 BAB -1 Deadly Aim + 1 Point Blank = +5..... right? I thought I added the -1, but not the damage. There's a chance I added it originally but forgot the +2 from the bow. Either way, I'll be more careful in the future.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Round 1

[sblock=ooc] Okay, I was missing the PBS. Got it.[/sblock]

Erin, her Wakizashi already in hand, moves forward to try aiding her companions near the front as she hears the howl of the orcs.

While clearly wounded from the arrows peppering him, the lead orc's bloodshot eyes do not droop. Siddhartha's much more painful hit draws the brunt of his ire.

He charges the man from across the sea, and though Siddhartha nearly slides out of the blade's path, it's not quite enough. The greataxe sinks deep into the shoulder and chest of the gladiator. His eyes go wide a moment as he sucks in a wet breath, then the orc plants a foot on his chest and yanks the blade out. Blood arcs into the air. Siddhartha crumples to the ground. The orc howls in triumph. The others can see only the slightest rise and fall in their companion's chest. He's alive, but by the barest of margins.

The orc minions, emboldened by their leader's strike, rush forward, as well. Wilmorn fails to send the first tumbling to the ground, though his efforts do manage to foil the orc's own attack upon him. The two orcs who were not nearly as quick in their reactions race to join the fray.

UPDATED MAP

[sblock=ooc]Erin moves during her surprise round action. then we're into Round 1 proper.

Berserker charges Siddhartha, and hits for 12 points. Siddhartha is now Dying with -6 HP. On his next turn, Siddhartha rolls a DC 10 Con check with a -7 modifier (-1 Con, -6 HP). If he succeeds, he stabilizes. If he fails, he takes another HP of damage.

Since it seems important to note: due to his low Constitution, Siddhartha will be Dead at -8 HP.

Orc 3 charges Wilmorn. This triggers Wilmorn's AoO, pre-declared as a Trip attempt, which doesn't beat the orc's CMD. Charge resolves. The Orc misses.

Orcs 1 and 2 double move (no charge lanes open to them).

Status

Wilmorn 12/12, Str 16/18, Reach
Erin 5/8, Str 9/12
Siddhartha -6/9, Prone, Dying
Kepli 12/12
Scuttle 6/6
Aszar 8/8
Klot'Kar 3/3
Horsie 15/15

Resources used: 2 arrows

Berserker: 06/23 HP, AC 14, Heavily Wounded, Rage, Dazzled, post-charge (AC 12)
Orc 1: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled
Orc 2: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled
Orc 3: 6/6 HP, AC 13, Dazzled, post-charge (AC 11) [/sblock]

Party's up.

Remove ads