[LPF] The Devil We Know

perrinmiller

Villager
Short adventure to rescue a kidnapped investigator

Judge: Satin Knights
DM: Perrinmiller

Heroes:
Galandra Beiryn (soulnova) - Human Ranger
Lem the Cook (Deuce_Traveler) - Halfling Monk
Menik (kinem) - Elf Wizard
Amien Thrus (Det) - Human Barbarian
Lydia'mejis (GnomeWorks) - Halfling Ranger
Tsaaruk (BIGB) - Half-orc Barbarian

Retired:
Frederick the Nomad (StanleyIndraven) - Human Monk

[sblock=XP]Clock Starts on 19 Apr 2013 & Ends 18 Jun 2013
Frederick started at 1184XP: Ended on 27 Apr 2013, 8 days TBX/TBG (+56XP & +48gp)
Galandra started at 5525XP:
Lem started at 4570XP:
Menik started at 4570XP:
Amien started at 2848XP:
Lydia started at 0XP:
Tsaaruk started at 0XP:

Enc1: 4015XP (669XP Each) - 31 May 2013
[/sblock][sblock=Treasury]Enc1:2 x +1 Leather (2320gp), 3 x Mwk Studded Leather (525gp), 2 Lt Wooden Shields (6gp), 2 x Spell Comp Pouches (10gp), 9 x Daggers (18gp), 3 x Mwk Cloaks of Shadows (+2 Stealth)(150gp), 3 x Mwk Shortswords (930gp), 3 Potion Vials CLW (150gp), 30gp = 4139gp
Reward = TBG
[/sblock][Sblock=Final Awards][URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/perrinmiller/media/Living%20Pathfinder/LPFDevilWeKnowXP1_zpsc78cfbb6.jpg.html][/URL]
[/Sblock][sblock=Adventure Rules]* I will use group initiatives, rolling them myself. So in combat you must post your actions within 48-72 hours of the players turn coming up. Unless stated by a character that their actions are to follow another character, they will be resolved in posted order. After that time, if there was no communication with the DM, I will NPC the MIA player and move on.

* Dice rollers can be Invisible Castle or http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ on-line dice rollers for the players. The DM will use his own purple dice at home or an on-line random number generator.

* Any absences for longer than 2-3 days should be communicated to the DM. If you do not post for a week or more without having informed the DM, he reserves the right to remove you from the adventure giving you your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post

* If your character gets enough XP to level they may do so immediately once combat is finished. This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable.

* All characters need an appropriate character picture, head-shot preferably, for token on the tactical grids. Also a mini-stat spoiler block that includes a link to your character sheet will be required in every IC post.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager

Looking at the rest of you, the grizzled warrior says, "Good day. I am Maylor Jacobson of the Crusaders of the Raven."

"I have heard this boy knows something of the kidnappings that have occurred as of late. I have a missing investigator as well. But, this whelp's master is one of the Artis Consortium and no great loss. Bastard deserves whatever he gets."

"But still, if someone can find and rescue the other citizens, Kafar might as well go free too."

"Just who are you all and why are you involved?"
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Villager


"I see" Galandra looks at the young man with a frown, but sighs and shakes her head slightly. "I guess he's not to blame to want him out."

"My names is Galandra Beyrin, I come from Whiteoak, near Tritower. I have done a couple of jobs here in Venza and..." she nods at Jacobson "Well, I certainly can't let someone kidnap citizens if I can do something about it. I do have some tracking skills, but I believe that if Kafar here already knows where they took them, that saves us a lot of time"


"I would gladly offer my service"

[sblock=Ministats]

Galandra
AC: 18 (Touch 12, Flatfooted 16)
HP: 32/32

Initiative: +2
Perception: +8/+10 vs Humans, Sense Motive: +2/+4 vs Humans,
CMB: +6 CMD: 18 Fort: +5 Reflex: +6 Will: +4

Masterwork Falchion +7 [2d4+4] 18-20
Dagger +6 [1d4+3] 19-20
Masterwork Comp Longbow STR3: +6 [1d8+3] x3 (110ft)


Effects: Killer
Combat Feats: Power Attack, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Cleave

Conditions: None

In Hand: Masterwork Composite Longbow STR3

Consumables:

Efficient Quiver
  • -Blunt Arrows (20)
  • -Arrows (30)
  • -Masterwork Arrows (10)
  • -Javelins (10)
  • -Spears (3)

Backpack

  • 4 days rations, Wand CLW (7 charges), Oil (2)
[/sblock]
 

kinem

Community Supporter
[sblock=Menik]Blood_elf_horde_long_hair_pointy_ears_white_hair_world_of_warcraft.jpg[/sblock]

"Hello. I am Menik, a student of the magical arts. I too am willing to help. And I've worked with some of these folks before. If we succeed, I'd not be averse to some reward for it, but mainly I'll help because my own brother went missing - not recently, but still, you never know.

Who are the Crusaders of the Raven? And what do you know about these kidnappings?"


[sblock=mini stat block]
Menik

AC 13 (touch 13, ff 10)
hp 17/17
Init +3, CMB +2, CMD 15, Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +3; Perception +5

att longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19/x2) or dagger +2 (1d4+1, 19/x2)
or longbow +4 ranged (1d8, 20/x3)

force missile (Sp): (1d4+1, as magic missile, 7/day, 0 used)

Arcane bond: ring; cast any spell in spellbook 1/day except Abj or Div

spells prepared:
Level 0: daze (Will neg DC 14), ghost sound (Will DC 14), prestidigitation, disrupt undead (30', +4 RTA, 1d6)

Level 1: color spray (Will neg DC 15), mage armor, magic missile (1d4+2,1d4+1),
ear-piercing scream& (3d6+1, daze 1 round, Fort DC 16 half + no daze)

Level 2: mirror image (1d4+1, 3 min),
flaming sphere&~ (3d6+1, Reflex neg DC 18, 130' range, 3 rounds),
blindness/deafness (Fort neg DC 16)

Gear: 4 days' rations, potion of CLW (1d8+1), 40 arrows, club, periscope, pearl of power (1st level)
[/sblock]
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer


"I am Lem, the party's cook. My hands and my ladle are my tools of choice, to the benefit of my friends and the endangerment of my enemies. I've been cooped up here at the Inn, so getting out to help seems like both a worthy pursuit and a bit of needed fun."

Mini-Stats
[sblock]
HP: 20 = [3d8 + CON (0) + Misc (0) + FC (0)] Monk
AC: 21 = [10 + DEX(5) + Size(1) + Wis(2) + Dodge(1) + Deflect(1) + Armor(1)]
AC Touch: 20 = [10 + DEX(5) + Size(1) + Wis(2) + Dodge(1) + Deflect(1)]
AC Flatfooted: 15 = [10 + Size (1) + Wis(2) + Deflect (1) + Armor(1)]
INIT: +7 = [DEX (5) + Reactionary Trait (2)]
BAB: +2 = [BAB (2) Monk lvl:3]
CMB: +7 = [Maneuver Training (3) + Dex (5) + Size (-1)]
CMD: 18 = [10 + BAB (2) + Wis (2) + DEX (5) + Size (-1)]
Fortitude: +4 = [Monk (03) + CON (00) + Halfling (01)]
Reflex: +9 = [Monk (03) + DEX (05) + Halfling (01)]
Will: +7 = [Monk (03) + WIS (02) + Halfling (01) + Trait* (01)]
Speed: 30' (Fast Movement, +10 ft)
Unarmed Strike: Attack: +9 = [BAB (2) + Dex (5) + Size (1) + Weapon Focus (1)]
-Damage: 1d4, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
Flurry of Blows: Attack: +8/+8 = [Monk(3)+Dex(5)+2WF enalty(-2)+WF(1)+Size(1)]
-Damage: 1d4/1d4, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
(12x) Flask of Acid: Attack: +8 = [BAB (2) + Dex (5) + Size (1)], Thrown
- Damage: 1d6, Crit: Nil, Range: 10 feet,
- Special: 1hp splash acid damage to those within 5 feet
Skills of Note: Acrobatics- 13, Stealth- 13, Escape Artist- 10, Perception- 9, Profession (Cook)- 6
[/sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager
GM: Can't you come up with something a little more genre appropriate, Deuce? ;)
I just need a picture for your token on the tactical grid. You can include a small picture in every IC post like normally do as well. It will help me and the other players know who is who on the tactical grids, but including a huge picture every time will reduce page loading times.
I will be delaying replies until all 5 people check in. There are potentially a few more coming as well.
 

GnomeWorks

Proposal Judge
Lydia_headshot.jpg

The halfling who has so recently crashed through the door to the inn lightly clears her throat, continuing to dust herself off and fuss with her hair.

"Hey, so, I might've overhead you guys talking while I was outside, so..." Her voice trails off. "But like I said, I'm Lydia! I'm an explorer. It sounds like you folks aren't familiar with where you're going, so maybe having me along wouldn't be a bad idea..."

She pauses, as though lost in thought for a moment. "And besides, kidnapping is bad. Where I come from, we have legends about another halfling tribe, if they catch you they eat you, or something crazy like that... but maybe people around here aren't so bad?" She tilts her head. "Or so crazy?"

She shakes her head. "Anyway, I'm kinda new in town here, and I wanted a reason to go check things out, and this sounds as good a reason as any!"

[sblock=Stats]Full Stats

HP: 12/12
AC: 16 (Touch: 14, Flat: 13)

Init: +3 (+5 in forest)

CMB: +1 / CMD: 14

Fort: +4 / Ref: +5 / Will: +1

Speed: 30 ft.

In Hand: n/a
[/sblock]
 

WindCrystal

Villager
[sblock=Full Picture (I seriously need to draw Amien again)]Amien2.png[/sblock]
"Amien. I am looking for work, and it seems this kidnapping business in some alley is right up my alley." the man states simply, his response should give attention to his already being stood up and with his arms crossed ready to set out. "I hope that this 'doing good and rescuing others' thing proves to be as rewarding as a philosopher would say it is."

He waits patiently like the others for a response from the warrior that had shown up.
[sblock=Mini-stats]HP: 28/28
AC: 15
AC Touch: 12
AC Flatfooted: 13
Initiative: +2

Glaive Attack: +5, Glaive Damage: 1d10+4
Heavy Flail Attack: +5, Heavy Flail Damage: 1d10+4
Sling Attack: +4, Sling Damage: 1d4+3[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I am going to show my friends that pic. Hilarious stuff.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager
[Sblock=GM Notices]Since I closed my other adventure today, I will have time to continue this game for quite some time. It is urban and characters can easily come and go in between encounters.

However, I have minimum standards in posting IC. Players will write in narration form and include dialog in quotation marks. I really do not like posts that are entirely dialog with zero narration either as a general rule.

Continual posts of one sentence or less will be seen as a lack of effort or caring. I have booted people from my games for this because it is detrimental to the role-playing of others.

Please read these:
General PbP IC Posting Advice
Good Role-playing[/Sblock]
 

perrinmiller

Villager


Maylor Jacobson surveys the lot of you while nodding with approval. He gestures to the boy as he answers Galandra, "I think you are confused, this whelp here is named Nefti and works for Kafar."

He continues while looking at Menik, "The Crusaders of the Raven are a private organization that looks into things and helping those in need where the local authorities cannot. We operate around E'n with different lodges in cities. There are not many of us and we are looking to grow in these troubled times."

"One of our own has been kidnapped. A man named Cestis was taken just days ago from a relics auction in the Naval Shipyards, and we believe his disappearance to be related to the six dozen or so kidnappings of the last several months. Now that one of our own is missing, this has become a Crusaders' matter in earnest and something we need to get to the bottom of it."

"Unfortunately, I do not have anyone available to handle this. Particularly when the assigned crusader is now a victim."

"I think this boy can lead you to where he saw some people being taken. If you could look into this, I can offer a reward for services rendered. I have made a truce temporarily with the Artis Consortium to borrow Nefti for this on the condition that Kafar be let go afterwards."

"You going to help these people, Nefti?"


The boy looks fatalistic and nods, "Okay... I can."


Maylor looks shrewdly at the boy and grunts, "Alright, I don't think he is leading you into a trap. Any more questions?"
 

WindCrystal

Villager
Satisfied that he will be payed for services rendered in finding out more about the kidnappings, Amien quickly raises his hand at the query for submitting questions. Once he is sure that he can speak without interrupting anyone, he starts doing so, "Yes. I think I understand that we will likely be seeing a lot of these Ravens you speak of in the future, and what is done with Kafar is fine with me, not knowing the man personally in any way, but I do want to ask of one minor detail that I didn't quite pick up.. Are you sure there's not going to be a trap there? Is the kid sure?" Amien's hand lowers somewhat but still hangs a bit half-way, his expression looking for surety in the matter.

[sblock=Mini-stats]HP: 28/28
AC: 15
AC Touch: 12
AC Flatfooted: 13
Initiative: +2

Glaive Attack: +5, Glaive Damage: 1d10+4
Heavy Flail Attack: +5, Heavy Flail Damage: 1d10+4
Sling Attack: +4, Sling Damage: 1d4+3[/sblock]
 

GnomeWorks

Proposal Judge
Lydia_headshot_small.jpg

Lydia shrugs at the mention of a trap. "Eh, if there is a trap, I'm sure we can deal with it, I mean there's like a whole bunch of us..."

She pauses, then tilts her head. "Oh wait, or did you mean like... an ambush? Not like a bear trap? I mean I think it still kinda doesn't matter, there's..." She quickly counts the group by pointing at each of the others in the circle. "Seven of us, ambushing that many people sounds kinda crazy."

[sblock=Stats]Full Stats

HP: 12/12
AC: 16 (Touch: 14, Flat: 13)

Init: +3 (+5 in forest)

CMB: +1 / CMD: 14

Fort: +4 / Ref: +5 / Will: +1

Speed: 30 ft.

In Hand: n/a
[/sblock]
 

BigB

Villager
View attachment 57141

Tsaaruk looks around as if sizing up the group. With a somewhat puzzled look on his face replies "Let them try, if living your friend will be free again." Grinning he pats Amien on the shoulder "We smash and accept gifts of battle."
 

soulnova

Villager
Galandra is not overly worried about a trap. Looking at the group, she's certain they will handle it well.

"I think we are settled then."
Galandra gathers her backpack and her weapons, strapping her composite longbow to her back and her falchion on her hip. "I suggest we go there as soon as possible. Who know what they might do to those citizens...."

"If everyone is ready... Nefti... we better get there fast"
she looks at the young man and motions hims to lead the way.
 

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem ponders for a moment and says, "We don't know who is doing this, but we know we want it stopped. The best thing that could happen to us is falling into a trap. First, we will then know who is to blame for the missing people. Second, they'll be providing us with a target rich environment. Seems like a win-win for everyone involved."
 

perrinmiller

Villager


Maylor looks askance at the boy. Nefti wilts a bit in his stature, but doesn't say anything.

"I do not think it is a trap or ambush by the Consortium, no. By the kidnappers, it could be. But, with your numbers I should think you will be fine of you be smart about it."

"Good luck to you."


Nefti has hunched shoulders and nods ascent as he leaves the older warrior's presence. Once outside, he starts walking towards the Docks District and says, "I think they went to the Inn of the Unlucky Sailor. I can take you there."

[sblock=Combat Information]
Initiative:

Updated Map:

Code:
Frederick: 09/09 HP remaining; 
Galandra:  32/32 HP remaining;
Lem:       20/20 HP remaining;
Menik:     17/17 HP remaining; 
Amien:     28/28 HP remaining; 
Lydia:     12/12 HP remaining;
Tsaaruk:   15/15 HP remaining;

Spells Cast: 
Abilities Used: 
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top