D&D General Luke Gygax Brings Back Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg.

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh Campaign Setting. Written by Gary Gygax and first published by Troll Lord Games in 2005 and dropped from publication in 2008. It is available now in preorder. The intent is to ship in September/October.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.23.43 PM.png

For the near future this is the first of three planned products, the second being The Hermit followed up by the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds series, probably via Kickstarter or other crowdfunder, maybe in January. The executor of the estate seems to have granted access to just these things so far. If they do well then more will be available and Luke intends to get the entirety of the Castle printed.

If you preorder the Yggsburgh book you will get a PDF and a docx with conversion notes to D&D 5E. The book is as it was in 2008 and they currently intend to leave it that way, other than updating the PDF via new software, and change the logo on the cover and the product number on the spine.

They intend to make the PDF available as a separate product, via their store and DriveThrRPG.

This book uses Castles & Crusades as its system--you can get the 7th edition Player's Handbook in PDF for free.

Other items mentioned:
  • They don't intend to print Gary's notes, as his wishes were they not to be published.
  • They will see about other creations of Gary's if they can show the executor of the estate they are good stewards. Good sales will absolutely work towards that goal.
  • Luke doesn't want to attach this to anything he's doing separately, like his own setting.
  • Gord the Rogue books are also on the list of things they'd like to bring back.

The transcript of the youtube video is in the spoiler block.

darjr

I crit!
Troll Lords sent this via email to folks. I saw it on Dragons Foot. I should have checked there earlier.

Gary Gygax Returns!

We are very happy to announce that Troll Lord Games, in conjunction with the estate of E. Gary Gygax, and Luke Gygax, is at long last able to bring the works of the Father of Role Playing back to the gaming table!

This has been something we have desired for 15 years and something we are beyond ecstatic to make happen! For everyone here at Troll Lord Games, and for all of you out there, and for the legacy of E. Gary Gygax, this is a wonderful day.

A glorious day!

We need to show the Estate Managers the real value of this material and to do that we have already announced and launched the Pre-order for the Classic Yggsburgh Fantasy Campaign Setting. Written by Gary Gygax and first published in 2005, this classic work is full to the brim with gaming content.

This will be the original version of this work as written by Gary and published by TLG. It includes two maps, one by our Lady of Gaming, Darlene! We aren't changing anything but the Stock Code on the spine!

Castle Zagyg Vol I: Yggsburgh, consists of the walled Town of Yggsburgh with over 20,000 persons, and its environs, which includes many communities such as the thorp of Garham and 60 different geographic locales, each with their own peculiarities and adventures. The map charts over 1500 square miles of adventuring terrain, allowing the inclusion of Yggsburgh and Environs into almost any fantasy campaign setting. Each geographic locale has one or more adventures associated with it, offering hundreds of different plots, themes and escapades, players can take their characters on. It is a 256 page, hardback (smyth-sewn), book with one 24 x 30 inch double-sided, full color map by Darlene! It retails for $39.95. It is designed for play with the Castle & Crusades® Role Playing Game, but ports into many other RPGs, old and new, with minimal effort.

Reserve Your Copy Today!!

the original thread about the announcement of the live stream.

The Troll Lords write a summary of what has happened and what they are doing and working towards and planning. Not much new if anything but it’s nice to have it from the source all in one place. Gary Gygax, The Estates, and Troll Lord Games

Last edited:

I'm glad there is some effort to get the old stuff that was never released released. But this has been released before... maybe it's a necessary step to get to the unpublished stuff?

I don't know, as a grognard, I'm kind of over the whole republishing of everything old. I would much rather see new material; new settings, new everything rather than just re-editing what we have seen for decades.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm glad there is some effort to get the old stuff that was never released released. But this has been released before... maybe it's a necessary step to get to the unpublished stuff?

I don't know, as a grognard, I'm kind of over the whole republishing of everything old. I would much rather see new material; new settings, new everything rather than just re-editing what we have seen for decades.
The estate has incurred a lot of debt and, also, the curator needs to be convinced that publishing this material is a good idea. That's why they are starting by republishing stuff. It can get quickly to the market and generate revenue.

Keep also in mind, that some of this stuff is commanding huge prices on the secondary market, so the demand is there for a reprint.

Last edited:

The estate has incurred a lot of debt and, also, the curator needs to be convinced that publishing this material is a good idea. That's why they are starting by republishing stuff. It can get quickly to the market and generate revenue.

Keep also in mind, that some of this stuff is commanding huge prices on the secondary market, so the demand is there for a reprint.
My point still stands. IMO the game needs new stuff. Stuff we haven't seen before (whenever it was created). Catering to the grognards like me will not grow new players. Or am I wrong and new players are flocking to old school content?

And the revenue the second hand market generates on a very limited quantity doesn't mean their is enough demand to justify re-publishing. Maybe it does, but all alone it doesn't mean there is enough demand to justify publishing numbers (though admittedly low run prints are much more affordable than they used to be).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
My point still stands. IMO the game needs new stuff. Stuff we haven't seen before (whenever it was created). Catering to the grognards like me will not grow new players. Or am I wrong and new players are flocking to old school content?

And the revenue the second hand market generates on a very limited quantity doesn't mean their is enough demand to justify re-publishing. Maybe it does, but all alone it doesn't mean there is enough demand to justify publishing numbers (though admittedly low run prints are much more affordable than they used to be).
According to the Trolls, the pre-orders have gone extremely well, far exceeding their forecast. In any event, the curator of the estate has final say and this is what Luke and the Trolls have been able to get so far. If the sales are good, we'll likely see new products. Gary left a ton of material that the Trolls were going to publish (sooner or later, they have never been really fast) before the license was revoked.

Remove ads

Remove ads