Tomb of Gyzaengaxx from Luke Gygax

This collector's edition boxed adventure and campaign is an homage to Gary Gygax and other creators.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 16.37.06.png

Coming from Luke Gygax and Alphinius Goo is an adventure created as a tribute to D&D co-creater Gary Gygax. A boxed set, it includes books, poster maps, handouts, cards, and more, and encompasses both an adventure and a campaign setting.

The set is designed for various systems, including OSE (Old School Essentials), D&D 5E, and others.

The adventure itself is 60 pages, for 6th-8th level characters and tasks the PCs with discovering what happened to the long-missing archmage, 'Garold Gyzaengaxx' (no relation of course). The full set contains a 120-page setting book, a GM reference book, a 100-page lore book, and more.

Hear now of the horrendous, historic, and somewhat hilarious opening of the Tomb of Gyzaengaxx — what was once a keep where the great wizard, Garold Gyzaengaxx held sway. But some years past, Garold disappeared, and the keep became a place of much terrifying rumor. Indeed, many deadly monsters, puzzling traps, magical maladies, dark characters, and a most intriguing mystery may be found herein.

The Tomb of Gyzaengaxx is on Kickstarter now. The PDF version of the adventure comes in at $55, with the physical version at $65. The campaign setting is $135 digital or $150 physical. And for both, you're looking at $185 digital and $200 physical. There's also higher level pledges which come with autographed versions, and a seat at a convention game with the authors. It's not cheap, but you do get a ton of stuff. The Kickstarter has passed a quarter million dollars already with nearly a month left to go.

The set appears to be full of 'easter eggs' and nods to D&D's history, and even has NPCs based on various game creators--Ed Greenwood, Erol Otus, Tim Kask, Peter Adkison, and many more.

46e29d263d97d0f3b058ca362df91ea5_original.jpg

It’s up!

I’m a tad confused which option is the boxed set

Edit: I figured it out

Edit2: actually still confused. I think the 60 might be it or the 190
Agreed. I have some interest but the presentation is confusing and I really cannot tell what is included in any of the reward levels but especially those two print levels. Also they could improve the KS page and include more about what the adventure and setting are like. Feels like a bunch of adjectives strung together.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Agreed. I have some interest but the presentation is confusing and I really cannot tell what is included in any of the reward levels but especially those two print levels. Also they could improve the KS page and include more about what the adventure and setting are like. Feels like a bunch of adjectives strung together.

The issue is, they keep referring to it as a box set adventure when it’s actually 2 things. If you want the “boxed set adventure” you have to buy both. Which is the $200 tier.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Hello General! Not at all, my friend. Your questions are quite reasonable. I have backed quite a few Kickstarters myself and I know that not all are as they seem. The Adventure will be authored by Luke Gygax and me — with some help from our Gooey Cube team. Luke and I both have done much authoring and I am a writer for my career (going on 40 years now). The adventure is a little sandboxy at the beginning with the exploration of a tower and then a dungeon following.

The campaign setting is very sandboxy as it will have more than a few locations set forth as well as at least a few "mini-dungeons" therein. The campaign will be authored by Luke, me, and our gooey team — with the community having an opportunity to submit ideas that may or may not be included. These will have significant editorial oversight to ensure quality.

We are looking at having at least some of the Legends be a part of those contributions but we do not know how that will work as of yet and which of them would even want to participate. Some have expressed interest in contributing and, as you might expect, we are excited about that. We shall see how it pans out after the Kickstarter is complete.

The handouts we provide almost always support an area or encounter. As such, the description of said locality supports the image on the handout and vice-versa.

I do believe that we at Gooey Cube produce some very magnificent materials. If you go to GooeyCube.com you can get a few freebies there to show you a bit of what we do. I hope you will do so. And thanks for the great questions!!
Many thanks for the answers to my questions.

Glad to hear that you have a good writing team to get this beast written, have you sorted out a top notch editor to wrangle the words into shape?

I was asking about the handouts as while I have seen some other people produce fantastic looking works of art they can sometimes be illegible and that's why I was asking about just the text of the handouts.

With the digital rewards, are you going to be providing jpg or similar renditions of the maps? These days I play over Roll20 as my current group is scattered to the four winds so trying to meet in person is impossible.

Sorry for the extra questions, but you know the old adage that answers just seem to provoke further questions :)

Alphinius Goo

Explorer
Hello Jerry! How may I help to clarify?

Thank you,

Alphinius

Alphinius Goo

Explorer
Many thanks for the answers to my questions.

Glad to hear that you have a good writing team to get this beast written, have you sorted out a top notch editor to wrangle the words into shape?

I was asking about the handouts as while I have seen some other people produce fantastic looking works of art they can sometimes be illegible and that's why I was asking about just the text of the handouts.

With the digital rewards, are you going to be providing jpg or similar renditions of the maps? These days I play over Roll20 as my current group is scattered to the four winds so trying to meet in person is impossible.

Sorry for the extra questions, but you know the old adage that answers just seem to provoke further questions :)
Not at all, very pleased to answer. We will be providing maps that should work with Roll20 with 1" = 5' squares. These should accommodate you. =)

Alphinius Goo

Explorer
The issue is, they keep referring to it as a box set adventure when it’s actually 2 things. If you want the “boxed set adventure” you have to buy both. Which is the $200 tier.
Hi DarkCrisis,

We made some changes today that we hope mitigate some of the confusion. Please let us know if we are still off the mark. Thank you!

lolsworth

Explorer
$135 for a digital only product seems a big ask. It has a 120 page adventure book - what levels does it support? Besides "nods" to big names what makes this setting stand out from others?

And the adventure is described as a mega-adventure but only covers three levels and is 60 pages long (levels 6-8)?? To me that is not mega. How can both 5e and osr be covered as advertised with such low page count?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
$135 for a digital only product seems a big ask. It has a 120 page adventure book - what levels does it support? Besides "nods" to big names what makes this setting stand out from others?

And the adventure is described as a mega-adventure but only covers three levels and is 60 pages long (levels 6-8)?? To me that is not mega. How can both 5e and osr be covered as advertised with such low page count?
I hadn’t even considered page count. That explains all the inserts. Smaller adventure plus a ton of inserts for $60.

Yeah how is a 60 page adventure “mega”? Perhaps he means if you buy the whole setting and run it as all one big adventure.

Remove ads

Remove ads