• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Luring new people into D&D

GHammy26

Explorer
Hello!

My friend and I are thinking about starting a gaming club in our local village where we can meet new people and play D&D, Magic the gathering and board games etc. I've spoken to one of the MANY local pubs (I live in the UK after all) and they said we could have their function room free of charge as long as there isn't any bookings. It's quite large with plenty of tables and access to drinks and nibbles at the bar which is perfect in my opinion.

I've spoken to several well used places (chippy and other pubs) and managed to get some poster space to advertise the club.

Here in lies the problem, my brain has thrown a massive blank on how to make a poster that will attract new people into the game... I was thinking about saying something along the lines of

"Enjoy RPG games such as Skyrim? Enjoy fantasy novels and films like Lord of the Rings? Experience fantasy in a different form called Dungeons & Dragons. A new tabletop RPG club is starting and is looking for new members to join in! Please email *******@gmail.com for more information"

As you can tell I'm no salesman and my "brainfarts" smell... Does anyone have any better ideas? Poster design ideas would be cool as well.

Thanks,
G

pukunui

Legend
Just make sure you don't use the word "luring" on the actual poster. That word makes it sound like D&D is something illicit, which is possibly not the vibe you're going for.

Best of luck!

GHammy26

Explorer
Just make sure you don't use the word "luring" on the actual poster. That word makes it sound like D&D is something illicit, which is possibly not the vibe you're going for.

Best of luck!

Fair point... I guess D&D is kinda like hard drugs though, I'm certainly addicted :D

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would use sites like Meetup.com to advertise.

I would also not use 'advertising language'. Just say it as it is. So no questions. People who would want to come will have heard, at least passingly, what Hobby Board Games, D&D, and M:tG is. In my experience board game cafes are very popular. Most of the hobby board games come out of Germany, I don't know about the hobby culture in the UK, but I would assume it is thriving.

So just say who you are, your purpose, and what you are offering. If new players are welcome say so and mention that the idea is for casual gaming and games will be taught. Also mention that games will be provided and if people are welcome to bring their own games then say so. Do you require an RSVP? If so then mention that, if not then say drop ins are welcome.

Provide the Meetup group or some other form of internet presence people can look up. I don't think you will get too many replies to an email, that is quite personal.

If you can put pictures on it then just put the products that you will be playing. 5e PHB, favourite board games, etc.

GHammy26

Explorer
I would use sites like Meetup.com to advertise.

I would also not use 'advertising language'. Just say it as it is. So no questions. People who would want to come will have heard, at least passingly, what Hobby Board Games, D&D, and M:tG is. In my experience board game cafes are very popular. Most of the hobby board games come out of Germany, I don't know about the hobby culture in the UK, but I would assume it is thriving.

So just say who you are, your purpose, and what you are offering. If new players are welcome say so and mention that the idea is for casual gaming and games will be taught. Also mention that games will be provided and if people are welcome to bring their own games then say so. Do you require an RSVP? If so then mention that, if not then say drop ins are welcome.

Provide the Meetup group or some other form of internet presence people can look up. I don't think you will get too many replies to an email, that is quite personal.

If you can put pictures on it then just put the products that you will be playing. 5e PHB, favourite board games, etc.

I've never actually heard of 'meetup' but I get what you're saying about the email so I'll give it a gander.

so something along the lines of:

"New members wanted for new [placename] tabletop club.

Join in and meet up with like minded individuals to learn and play fun board games, card games such as Magic the Gathering and experience tabletop RPG's such as Dungeons and Dragons.

Game resources will be provided but feel free to bring your own if you want.

Please check www.meetup.com/***** or email ******@gmail.com for more information."

better or worse?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
That's better, but I think you're still missing some information. Also, I would avoid asking for 'new members'. That sounds like a commitment. Just invite people to come, if they like it, they'll keep coming.

Here's a blurb on the about page for my local boardgame meetup group (obviously you wouldn't put all of this on a poster, but maybe take some ideas from it):

The Toronto BoardGamers are passionate hobbyists who get together at free, non-competitive events all around Toronto to explore some of the thousands of modern boardgames together!

Our members love learning new games, love teaching their favourite games, enjoy playing games for the social aspects and have respect for each other. We welcome new members who are interested in being an active part of the community.

Our events with all the details are posted on our calendar. You can be further connected to our community by joining us on our Facebook Group (redacted) and our BoardGameGeek Guild (redacted).

GHammy26

Explorer
That's better, but I think you're still missing some information. Also, I would avoid asking for 'new members'. That sounds like a commitment. Just invite people to come, if they like it, they'll keep coming.

Here's a blurb on the about page for my local boardgame meetup group (obviously you wouldn't put all of this on a poster, but maybe take some ideas from it):

I'd love to make this a drop in thing without members but I think I'd need to know some initial numbers were actually coming first before I can say that I'd be there. I guess starting these things is always going to have a chance of being sat on your own a few nights if no one turns up.

I love your blurb though, its very friendly and welcoming.

Instead of "New members wanted" how about I say "New players wanted"?

Less commitment sounding although I don't think it is too clear...

Thanks for this btw, you're really helping me out

G

Rather than say “contact so-and-so for details,” why not just say “meets every <day of the week> at <time of day> in the <location>?” That way they don’t need to reach out to someone they don’t yet know, which might be intimidating to some, and can just show up to have fun.

Kudos for putting the effort into starting a gaming club, too!

aco175

Legend
You might need a plan if 30 people show up and they are all looking at you. Half the people should have played before or at least know what it is about and you may be able to wrangle them to help.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads