M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I don't have an 18(50) limit for female STR in D&D games. But I still play D&D.

All our favorite creators were people, and in many cases people of their times (Gygax) or considerably more prejudiced than average for their times (Lovecraft and Barker, apparently). We take the good from what they did and discard the bad. To quote the author of a notorious antisemitic play, "Use every man after his desert, and who shall 'scape whipping?"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wait, so if The RPG Pundit is named in the 5E PHB, does that mean you're honoring his contributions by playing the game?

You might argue that WotC is still honouring Gygax for his contributions. But claiming that a player is simply by playing the game? That doesn't track.
WotC removed the Pundit from the book a while ago.

aramis erak

Legend
Wait, so if The RPG Pundit is named in the 5E PHB, does that mean you're honoring his contributions by playing the game?

You might argue that WotC is still honouring Gygax for his contributions. But claiming that a player is simply by playing the game? That doesn't track.
A player who knows Pundit was a paid consultant and who Pundit is, and how toxic and misogynistic and generally misanthropic? Yes. One who is clueless? No.

If, as several above have implied, any support/defense of evildoers makes one evil, then playing a game with strong input from two people (Pundit and Zac Smith) generally considered to be at least toes into the behavioral space called evil, that would be endorsing them tacitly, if one is aware or can be reasonably expected to be aware, of that evil.

I don't buy into that.
Just like I don't buy into the idea that innocent until proven guilty is just for crimes (and in the US, it's not - it is for all court cases outside of Louisiana), nor even for just the courts.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Just like I don't buy into the idea that innocent until proven guilty is just for crimes (and in the US, it's not - it is for all court cases outside of Louisiana), nor even for just the courts.
People who put forward the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" outside of legal proceedings are, I believe, invoking the broader principle of "you shouldn't condemn someone unless there's compelling reason to do so; being accused, unto itself, does not meet that burden."

The reason that people find that idea laudable is that it requires us, as people, to adhere to a higher standard. One doesn't need to look very far to see that the more typical response is to go directly from accusation to condemnation, with no intermediary steps.

Ergo, people who dismiss the idea of innocent until proven guilty outside of legal proceedings are saying that they're either unwilling or incapable of holding themselves to that higher standard.

A player who knows Pundit was a paid consultant and who Pundit is, and how toxic and misogynistic and generally misanthropic? Yes. One who is clueless? No.
So even though his contributions that made it into the published work were limited, if you know how terrible he is you're "honouring" his contributions by playing a game that was produced almost entirely by people other than him? I know he claims to have had significant influence on certain things, but I trust his claim about as far as I can throw him.

I could see an argument that you would be honouring him if you played the game specifically because he contributed to it. But if he's one contributor among many, and not one of the main designers? That doesn't track.

It's the "proven" that's the sticking point. In everyday life, you reach conclusions when you have reasonable evidence to do so. Things do not need to be proven to the degree that they are in a court of law, for very good reasons.

Remove ads