M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Precisely: and the next logical step is, the more of something there is overall, the larger that 10% will be in absolute terms.
Yep.

Which is also envisioned by the nature of a pie graph. As the pie gets larger, that outer edge increases, but it’s percentage of the circumference remains constant.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but right now I think the problematic elements are few. Present, but few.
Maybe. Like I said, I know virtually nothing about the setting.

But a rereleased EotPT might be well served by not only having its inherently problematic aspects modified or excised, but also refreshed from top to bottom with (potentially) better writing, art, etc. A complete overhaul, if you will. It might even be expanded & fleshed out.

But when it comes to artistic and creative endeavours, good luck finding any two people in the whole field (no matter how big the pie happens to be) who would draw the line between 'crap' and 'not crap' in the same place. People like season 6 of Buffy. People were fanatical Twilight fans. People thought the Snyder cut made Justice League into something other than a bad movie. All these people are objectively wrong, but they're out there! ;p There's no accounting for taste. Some of the 90% that's crap to me might be the exceptional life-changing artistic lightning bolt that burns its name into someone else's soul.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But when it comes to artistic and creative endeavours, good luck finding any two people in the whole field (no matter how big the pie happens to be) who would draw the line between 'crap' and 'not crap' in the same place. People like season 6 of Buffy. People were fanatical Twilight fans. People thought the Snyder cut made Justice League into something other than a bad movie. All these people are objectively wrong, but they're out there! ;p There's no accounting for taste. Some of the 90% that's crap to me might be the exceptional life-changing artistic lightning bolt that burns its name into someone else's soul.
Sturgeon’s Law does not account for taste, true.

OTOH, I, knowing Sturgeon’s Law, fully accept that there are things I love which may be in/that are in that 90%, and I’m fine with that. I can probably even point some them out to others if they think I’m deceiving myself.

Hell- if I’m honest, some of them I use to nettle those who cop superior attitudes in a given area.

Last edited:

People thought the Snyder cut made Justice League into something other than a bad movie.
I haven't seen it, but I have seen the original and I must assume that Snyder cut must be better, as I literally cannot imagine how it would be humanly possible to make that film any worse! Granted, this doesn't necessarily mean that it would still actually be good!

Remove ads