M.A.R. Barker, author of Tekumel, also author of Neo-Nazi book?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As far as I know, no, Feist has not acknowledged that "Empire of the Petal Throne was the source for much of Kelewan".

One of the two articles referenced on that paragraph is my own, which states:

The other referenced article says "According to people who claim to have corresponded with Feist, he's admitted that Kelewan was heavily, heavily inspired by Tekumel". You couldn't get much flakier than "According to people who claim to have corresponded with Feist". That's a reference to unattributed hearsay.

There's no doubt that Kelewan was influenced by Tékumel to some degree, but as far as I'm aware (and I looked into it a fair amount), Feist has been very careful about what he said in that regard. The Wikipedia article unfortunately lies about what Feist said and holds up references which either don't say that or aren't reliable.
Touche. However, it really is a pretty apparent influence, legal side-stepping aside.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's pretty much my assessment of fantasy books in general. They might be a fun way to pass the time, but most of them aren't all that memorable.
Well, by definition, any healthy artistic culture is going to be mostly mediocre. The exceptional is always an exception, but when lots of workman mediocrity is being produced and consumed, the exceptional work is more likely to be attempted.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm only familiar with it because of the PC RPG Betrayal at Krondor that came out almost thirty years ago. I remember almost nothing about it except you could only have three people in your party at one time. Oh, and there's a scene where you arrive at an inn only to find everyone has been poisoned.
Mac user, so that’s not part of my CRPG history.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Indeed.

This might, weirdly, turn into a silver lining for the Tekumel Foundation Board. If Mr. Victor Raymond, Jeff Dee, and a couple others worked together they might be able to publish a "Reclaim Tekumel" sourcebook or something. A portion of the proceeds to go to appropriate charities and organizations, a slice to content creators, and some to the Board. The only estate remaining is whatever retirement Mrs. Barker is living off of.

This would require someone with some marketing savvy, which the Board wholly lacks, and a will to get the project done. Some wrongs addressed, anyway.

Not that I think that would ever happen.
Most importantly, you’d need a really skilled game design team. You can’t reclaim the game if the game itself isn’t worth reclaiming.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I didn't see this posted and don't see a date attached, but the Tekumel Foundation finally put out a statement.

A few months ago I had an interest in running a Tekumel game. I got bogged down in the setting details and the languages so it never came about. I'm kinda glad it never started.
Doesn't really answer who know what, and when.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases